General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tubeless tire repair

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 11:27 AM
craigcrewcheif
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tubeless tire repair

What are the best products you carry and use to repair a tubeless tire on the road? Does anyone run with "Slime" in their tires. My kids use Slime all the time in their dirt bike tires.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:12 PM
wdg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tubeless tire repair

for me a new tire with only two i want them good

Old 04-08-2008, 12:32 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I carry the stop-n-go plug kit and a 12 v. pump for my tubeless front and rear. Perhaps I'm a little **** but when I plug a flat my next step is to replace the tire asap. I won't ride further than I have to on a plugged tire.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:15 PM
Ghosty
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too use the Stop & Go tire plugger kit and a small air compressor. However I don't buy a new tire unless the tire in question is about worn out. I don't feel it is an economically wise thing to do. Some folks may not trust a plugged tire but after owning a garage and plugging hundreds of tires and never having one fail I myself do indeed trust a plugged tire. When I plug a tire I do it a little differently than some I suppose. I use a vulcaninzing glue in the puncture after reaming the puncture site. This glue actually vulcanizes the plug and the tire to one another. This is caused by the heat generated by the tire rolling down the road. After a few miles the plug and the tire effectively become one unit. This process not only vulcanizes the shaft of the plug to the tire it also vulcanizes the mushroom shaped head of the plug to the inside surface of the tire and provides an airtight and structurally solid seal. Do not ever attempt to plug or patch a tire that has damage to the sidewall. Ride safe.

[IMG]local://upfiles/30695/F49CF95AF51F402A992E17342EDF5F39.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-08-2008, 03:39 PM
cray49a
Road Master

I got a slime kit with compressor for $20. I got a flat on a brand new tire in Bisbee, AZ (outside Tombstone). We plugged it and I drove back home (620 miles). I had my buddy keep an eye on the tire. When I got back, I replaced it. (Only have 2). I might get a boot patch and a tube - +/-. I'vehad probably 10 flats on tubes - patch always lasted longer than the tire. But the older I get the less chances I take. IF you have the $ - but a new one and letter go!

Old 04-08-2008, 04:18 PM
Flying Horse
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: whaap

I carry the stop-n-go plug kit and a 12 v. pump for my tubeless front and rear. Perhaps I'm a little **** but when I plug a flat my next step is to replace the tire asap. I won't ride further than I have to on a plugged tire.
Ditto, except for the pump.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:08 PM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will do the plug thing any time. The slime has something in it and it that takes the glue off your plugs or patch just becareful. My last plug tire was good after 7,000 miles on the plug. I did not take any long trip till it was changed. A new tire is always the best. Patch tire is good. And a plug tire is ok if it is done right and watch for problems.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:16 PM
TampaJim
Road Master

Stop n Go kit with at least 6 CO2 cartridges plus a 12v mini compressor on the bagger for trips.

Patch it and drive to the nearest dealer to see if you can talk them into a permanent patch, if not mount a new tire.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:04 PM
FLAMED96
Cruiser

I patched a nearly new tire several years ago at the begging of a trip to Sturgis, by the end of the trip I had forgotten all about the plug and rode on the tire for another 9000 miles until it need replaced. Never had a problem with it.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:07 PM
Tinkermc
Outstanding HDF Member

I have a radial tire plug kit with a compressor

Quick Reply: Tubeless tire repair