General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coming into financial torubles may need to sell the bike

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008 | 05:06 AM
edtexas
Cruiser
Default RE: Coming into financial torubles may need to sell the bike

In most states, mortgage companies are held to a very high standard of excellence.
They have a fiduciary duty to all parties signatory to the sale of the home. That inclludes you, the seller and the bank. If they made a gross error in your paperwork;
paperwork which they generated and explained to you with the error included they can be sued for negligence and be responsible for absorbing the additional costs.
You were led to believe that your payments would be $1,000/mo not $1350. You agreed to $1,000. What needs to be understood, is why the lender on this note did
not contact you after receiving a year of shortpayments. I would make some calls and find out what attorneys in your area are truly the best at this kind of litigation. Spend a couple hundred on a half hour of consultation and they can let you know if you have a case. Minor scraps like this can almost always be resolved by a letter from a powerful attorney group that knows what they're doing with respect to such conflicts. You should also consider contacting the lender for the bike and ask to have the bike refinanced at a lower rate and/or a longer term, that way they don't have to go through the hassle of picking it up and dumping it way below low book which is usually the case for a bank. They will likely lose an additional 3-5k on the bike if they have torepossess it from you, and you might also hint that you might loan the bike to your brother just before the next payment is due, the brother who is a drug user and who often takes long trips of unspecified duration mostly to Mexico, so it might be 2012 until they can repossesthe bike from you. Be polite,but talk tough. and, always ask for the person's manager, till you get to a real decision-maker.Good luck

[IMG]local://upfiles/51874/4D20B9782A5A449B925A257F67F86346.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-09-2008 | 06:57 AM
big_al
Elite HDF Member

You will have to hustle and like you already mentioned get a PT job, dont loose your ***. It is all about attitude dont let the man beat you down.You can accomplish anything if you put your mind to it...Good luck!!!!

Old 04-09-2008 | 08:06 AM
BULLDOG88
Road Captain

Ramen noodles.

Call for a new tax assessment of your property. If it was performed more than a year ago, your property value may have dropped by 10 to 40%. Why pay taxes on an inflated value?

Old 04-09-2008 | 08:27 AM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member

You got some good advice and appear to be making headway in regards to your situation. My best friend goes through cycles (no pun) where he buys a load of toys, then 3-4 years down the road has to sell them all off. Once he recovers financially, hestarts another buyingspree. Right now he's selling his house and boat. I don't know how he does it without having a nervous breakdown... You don't have to live like that. Best of luck.

Old 04-09-2008 | 08:37 AM
BigDaddyMike
Club Member

Hey Man, relax and take a deep breath, it is not the end of the world, although it may seem that way. Good you realized the crisis and are willing to do somethng about it. I would try the second income route,first, but then, I like my toys and I know it is far easier to keep em than to buy then again. If all else fails, part out what you can, sell the bling on ebay and take out a personal loan for the balance. It is called being upside down. A vehicle is a depreciating asset and it depreciates way faster than you can pay it off. I pray for wisdom and peace for you and yours, but having been there years ago, I can tell you it seems much scarier than it really is. PM me if you wanna talk more in depth.
Mike

Old 04-09-2008 | 08:45 AM
sldavis
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: carpetride

ORIGINAL: bgismo20

ORIGINAL: carpetride

Do you have a good insurance policy on the bike?

youmight just have to get the thing stolen [sm=confused06.gif]
Right! Or totaled. "Officer I made it off just in time before it went over that cliff" lol I got a good policy & Gap insurance lol
sometimes desperate times require desperate measures[sm=confused06.gif]
Sound like a bunch of damn criminals. Yeah, suggest insurance fraud to him, going to prison will help his financial problems immensely. Not to mention the rest of us don't mind paying higher premiums because of this exact kind of ****.

Sorry to hear of your problems, and hope you get it worked out. If you have to sell, there will be a bunch coming along to call you a poser cause you sold your bike. Myself, I think you would be doing the responsible thing. Hope it works out for ya.

Old 04-09-2008 | 09:07 AM
Chopperz
Outstanding HDF Member

In the long run,selling the bike may not help financial problems.Depending on how many payments you've made.I mean IF you can unload it,it means all your payments were just like renting it.An expensive ride,usually.Hang on,and it'll be all yours!

[IMG]local://upfiles/42833/0270766D13594F829C5362579703D67B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-09-2008 | 09:11 AM
Chopperz
Outstanding HDF Member

I actually have an idiot friend who was caught torching his van for insurance purposes.Besides then hauling him off to jail that night,I forget what they did to him.He ended up in the big house anyway.

[IMG]local://upfiles/42833/AA2C5AB3A3324D539F4EF6C7B63234B9.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-09-2008 | 09:31 AM
rickshog
Tourer

I cant say I agree with everything Dave Ramsey has to say... but as a general guide he has some really good advise. Its an incredably admiral thing to do... to get a part time job when things are tough to make everything work. I ordered my bike in november of 2005 and they said it would be in by april 10 2006. I already had a part time job.. so I went in and told them what I did and they let me work as many hours as I wanted. It was a bitch and I cant tell you how many good times I missed with my friends and how many times I slept at work instead of home, but when I walked in to the dealer with a bank check for the full amount... I was smiling ear to ear. Moral of the story is... you can accomplish anything if you put your mind to it... and thats the effin truth.. good luck!
Rick

Old 04-09-2008 | 09:39 AM
scoobs
Tourer

Beans and rice, no more going out to eat, dump the cable tv, extra phone lines. Got anything else laying around the house that you can sell? Have a garage sale. Got a paid off vehicle that is paid off that you could sell and replace with a less expensive vehicle(beater). Work extra hrs. 2nd job. Don't do bankruptcy, you dont have to, thats a last resort. If nothing else talk to the finance company and tell them your having problems making the payments. They don't want to have to go through the hassle of repo-ing if they don't have to. They mayrework your loan.
Good luck...

Quick Reply: Coming into financial torubles may need to sell the bike