General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coming into financial torubles may need to sell the bike

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008 | 11:04 AM
bgismo20
|
Road Warrior
Default RE: Coming into financial torubles may need to sell the bike

THanks folks! You guys have talked me off the ledge, im gonna bust my *** & get a PT or 2 if need be & get enough money to pay off my debts, instead of losing my *** on them....You guys were great, thank you, have a good day!

BG

Old 04-08-2008 | 11:04 AM
ae4782tt
Road Master

ORIGINAL: carpetride

Do you have a good insurance policy on the bike?

youmight just have to get the thing stolen [sm=confused06.gif]
Desperate times often call for desperate measures. It does not sound like you have reached that point. A year or so back I was at a party, I had just lost my job and was singing the blues. An "aquaintance" who happens to be a 1%'er offered to help me out and suggested the same thing posted above.
I thanked him and told him I was not interested. It was nice of him to ask me first!

Old 04-08-2008 | 11:06 AM
bgismo20
|
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: OldFenderGuy

ORIGINAL: whaap

It's a long shot but a possibility. If you can find someone who will take over your payments it's a matter of taking that person to your lien holder (bank), having him fill out a loan application and if he's approved your problems are over.
Yeah, but depending on how much is still owed on the bike "taking over, or refinancing the loan" could be a problem.

Because of the current economy many banks are not handing out, or approving loans for luxury items as quickly as they did in the past.

Most financial institutes use the NADA Guideline Prices when considering a used vehicle loan, instead of the Kelly Blue Book prices which many realize are inflated.

I checked the NADA values for a 2005 Springer Classic, with optional windshield, saddlebags, and performance street exhaust, and they show a Low Retail value of $10,120, and an Average Retail value of $13,227. Unless you have a long standing relationship with a bank I doubt if they would want to carry a loan for more than the Average Retail value shown in the NADA Guide.

Exactly! All the stuff I got on my bike means nothing as far as the market goes... Unless someone just happens to want MY EXACT BIKE!

Old 04-08-2008 | 11:07 AM
ken thompson
The Schlong Man

IFyour finance company is willing to let someone assume your loan (which I doubt), they will simply add the new person to you as co-borrower. NOT likely you will be removed from liability.

Old 04-08-2008 | 11:11 AM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: bgismo20

ORIGINAL: kato1964

Not sure of the cause of your financial troubles, but sorry to hear about it. Before you go selling your bike at a loss, have you looked in to getting a part time job to help make ends meet, until the crisis passes? Not exactly a fun idea either, but better than selling your bike at a loss. Could also help with the financial crisis. I'm working under the assumption the crisis has been caused by spending more than you make, not by loss of your primary source of income. Not making accusations. I've been there myself. My wife and I bit off WAY more than we could chew when we were younger. Considered filing bankruptcy a couple of times, but I was raised to take responsibility for what I do. I got myself in to the hole, I was going to dig myself out. It sucked, and didn't give me a lot of free time, but I picked up a part time gig on weekends, which helped pad the bank account long enough for things to even out. Once the crisis had passed, and I'd vowed to myself I'd never allow it to happen again, I gave up the part time gig. Just an idea. Whatever you do, I hope it works out for you.
Kind of, I was hurting a little bit but my mortgage company mis guessed my property tax payment so we were paying WAY TOO LOW this whole year, they were off by almost $3000 so our mortgage went up from $1000 to about $1350/mo, wasnt prepared at all, we are currently trying to refinance, we'll see hopw that works, i am certainly looking for a PT job & have some interviews this weekend, we shall see how it goes...
Good luck.

Old 04-08-2008 | 11:04 PM
Lord Albany
Road Captain

Have you looked at a consolidation loan??

Old 04-08-2008 | 11:07 PM
Lord Albany
Road Captain

Check out www.daveramsey.com. He's the fricking man.

Old 04-09-2008 | 12:31 AM
mnvikingsfan
Road Captain

I'd pull some of the good extra's off and replace with CHEAP stuff (hopefully you got the stock stuff yet) and make a few extra bucks...good luck.

Old 04-09-2008 | 12:42 AM
Lord Albany
Road Captain

Have you thought about giving rides for pay?

Old 04-09-2008 | 03:22 AM
62trvler
Tourer

If your behind on the payments sometimes the bank will approve a sale less than what is owed but it would be a hard sell. You can sell it but you will have to come up with the remaining balance to get out from under it. I had a car that was done that way, it wasn't pretty but after it was all said and done I was out from under it and my credit remained intact. I think it was worth around 9K and I owed 15K, it hurt but I washed my hands of that Lemon..................

Quick Reply: Coming into financial torubles may need to sell the bike