General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coming into financial torubles may need to sell the bike

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008 | 09:47 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Default RE: Coming into financial torubles may need to sell the bike

May have to find someone who is willing, and can be approved, to take over your payments just to get out from under it. I'm thinking that would be easier than trying to sell it for more than you'd get.

Old 04-08-2008 | 09:49 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

In most, if not all places, you can't clear the title and transfer it if the lien is not satisfied. If you have to unload the bike and can't get what you need for it, as-is, you have only a few options. Try to sell the accessories to offset the difference and then sell the bike, take out a note using something else as collateral to cover the difference, or bite the bullet and drop the bike off at the lender and notify them that you won't be able to make any further payments and take the bad credit hit.

I have been fortunate to have never HAD to sell anything. But, early on in my adult life, I did make a bad habit of over-financing vehicles and getting "upside down" and then had difficulty trading or selling them. It makes sense that, since the accessories become part of the bike, why not finance them in with the bike. But, as we all know, you never get credit for those things you've added at resale. That's why I bought mine and financed it bone stock and then started buying accessories afterwards for cash. Realizing that what I've spent after the initial purchase, will probably never come back to me. I do save most of my stock takeoff's, though, so I can remove the accessories and sell them separately and try to get something for them if/when I ever get rid of the bike.

Good luck...

Old 04-08-2008 | 09:50 AM
bgismo20
|
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: golfblues

ORIGINAL: Redmondp

ORIGINAL: bgismo20

The problem is I owe More than i can get for it because I financed pipes, bags, windshield, SE stage 1 kit all in the loan. How can i sell it if i owe more than i can get? In MI you cant sell a vehicle unless the lien is gone.....
Well, maybe you really didn't need all the add on's. If you left it stock you may not be having this problem now.

I guess we often over-extend ourselve's when owning a HD.
Sorry to hear this but, I don't feel your pain.

What the factory give's me, I take.
Nothing more.
My two cents.
Chow.

Kind of chilly in this room isn't it?
Right lol.....

Old 04-08-2008 | 09:51 AM
rickshog
Tourer

tough crowd.. But it does look like you might be piling in some of your own money to make it happen.. Nothin a part time job cant fix. As for the title.. If you financed through a bank you can meet the new ownwer there and get a letter releasing the lien and itll all be good.
rick

Old 04-08-2008 | 09:52 AM
bgismo20
|
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: 2007fxdc

In most, if not all places, you can't clear the title and transfer it if the lien is not satisfied. If you have to unload the bike and can't get what you need for it, as-is, you have only a few options. Try to sell the accessories to offset the difference and then sell the bike, take out a note using something else as collateral to cover the difference, or bite the bullet and drop the bike off at the lender and notify them that you won't be able to make any further payments and take the bad credit hit.

I have been fortunate to have never HAD to sell anything. But, early on in my adult life, I did make a bad habit of over-financing vehicles and getting "upside down" and then had difficulty trading or selling them. It makes sense that, since the accessories become part of the bike, why not finance them in with the bike. But, as we all know, you never get credit for those things you've added at resale. That's why I bought mine and financed it bone stock and then started buying accessories afterwards for cash. Realizing that what I've spent after the initial purchase, will probably never come back to me. I do save most of my stock takeoff's, though, so I can remove the accessories and sell them separately and try to get something for them if/when I ever get rid of the bike.

Good luck...
I was stupid with it too. I was 25 had never bought a new vehicle yet& wanted to do it up "right" lol Its not a situation where I CANT Afford the payments, but the extra $325/mo would be nice to help w/ other bills & such, I may never get out of debt unless i do something about it.....

Old 04-08-2008 | 09:53 AM
kickstart pan
Road Master

Again the answer is to put all the original parts that came with the bike and sell the add ons for some cash.
You *did* keep the orignal stuff didn't you ?
I have a friend that's pretty much in the same boat.
But his bike is giving him some trouble also, so he may have payments and nothing to ride.
So his answer ... trade it in let them finance everything and keep riding.
If it's transportation it don't matter, if it's a luxury investment, I guess it wasn't a good one

kickstart

Old 04-08-2008 | 09:54 AM
bgismo20
|
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: rickshog

tough crowd.. But it does look like you might be piling in some of your own money to make it happen.. Nothin a part time job cant fix. As for the title.. If you financed through a bank you can meet the new ownwer there and get a letter releasing the lien and itll all be good.
rick
Im looking for one as we speak but unfortunately MICHIGAN BLOWS! lol Our economy is shot & there are like 200 applicants for any job it seems. Thanks for the info.....

Old 04-08-2008 | 10:05 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: golfblues

ORIGINAL: Redmondp

The problem is I owe More than i can get for it because I financed pipes, bags, windshield, SE stage 1 kit all in the loan. How can i sell it if i owe more than i can get? In MI you cant sell a vehicle unless the lien is gone.....
Well, maybe you really didn't need all the add on's. If you left it stock you may not be having this problem now.

I guess we often over-extend ourselve's when owning a HD.
Sorry to hear this but, I don't feel your pain.

What the factory give's me, I take.
Nothing more.
My two cents.
Chow.

Kind of chilly in this room isn't it?
Ya, I noticed it was 'bit nippy' myself.
Gismo, sorry to hear 'bout this chit. Not good anyplace right now. Just really grateful, mine are all paid for. They're old, but owned.Looks likeyou are on board with those who say to part it out, first. That makes sense to me, too. And whatever, know there are boatloads of ppl in your situation right now. The Ol' Man used to jaw at the politicians who would say, "Oh, we MAY be close to a recession." He'd say, BS, a recession is when your neighbor loses their job and house, a depression is when YOU lose your job and house. And right now, I know a lot of good ppl just hangin' on the fence. Keep posting, it helps me some days.

Old 04-08-2008 | 10:10 AM
Redmondp
Tourer

ORIGINAL: rickshog

rick
Im looking for one as we speak but unfortunately MICHIGAN BLOWS! lol Our economy is shot & there are like 200 applicants for any job it seems. Thanks for the info.....
So does every other state in the US. The thing to do is stop letting the credit agency get bigger by cutting all your card's and credit in any way or formin half. Tell them all, I am mad as hell and not going to take it anymore. Our country has become a service country. We manufacture nothing anymore. It's all about the dollar. Show me the MONEY. GMAFB, WTF, OMG.

Here is the best bet for you. File Chapter 11, your rating/credit will suck for 7 years but, in the end you will come out smelling like a rose. It's the American way.

Life sucks but, it's not your fault. We all need to get off our asses and tell them that we run the country. Itmay be too late for that though.

I think I am close to a prospect now.

Old 04-08-2008 | 10:24 AM
cjhumphrey
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: DannyZ71

May have to find someone who is willing, and can be approved, to take over your payments just to get out from under it. I'm thinking that would be easier than trying to sell it for more than you'd get.
I agree. Someone who can assume your loan and just take over payments would by far be the easiest solution.

I forgot to add: Kudos for realizing that the bike might have to go... All too often it seems people skip onmore important financial obligations in an effort to keep the "toys"...

Quick Reply: Coming into financial torubles may need to sell the bike