General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XM/Sirius Satellite radio-what do you think??

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 09:43 PM
mnvikingsfan
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default XM/Sirius Satellite radio-what do you think??

Came back from 4 days in Puerto Penasco, Mexico today and my buddy who drove has Sirius radio. Listed to Stern for a few hours and I got to admit I was impressed. Sounds like it's only 12 bucks a month or so. Wondering what you fellas who have it, and what you think of it? Worth the money or a waste? I'm not in my car for more than probably 30-40 minutes a day so I'm not sure if it's gonna pay for itself...Sounds like its about to get a whole lot better with the merger coming soon....

Old 04-07-2008, 09:45 PM
Topspin
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: XM/Sirius Satellite radio-what do you think??

Last thing I need is one more monthly. I had it 90 days free in my new Honda car. To my amazement, there was still commercials. Plus... 90 days and I heard 1 Led Zeppelin song.

F**K that.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:54 PM
Dinger
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've hadSirius since Stern left FM radio, I can'tlive without it. The music stations are commercial freeand are far superior than FM.

I have it in my car when I'mat work, I'lllisten to it on my computer!

Definately worth the $12.95

Old 04-07-2008, 09:59 PM
zoopman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My co-worker and I listen to XM at work.We decided to get XM as wehave 2 regularradio stations in the small town I live in. One station is country music the other is rock and roll oldies. Both stations play the same crap over and over every single day--we even know what song is going to play before it is played! [&:]We got us a boom box for a hundred bucks so we can listen to XM in the shop at work--then ya can take the reciever out of the boom box and plug into your car. Hundreds of stations. I was going insane listening to the two local town stations--XM has really helped my sanity for sure! Never thought I'd pay to listen to a dang radio but has been worth it!

Old 04-07-2008, 10:02 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

I have XM radio set up on my Sportster and one in the car.....well worth the money!

Old 04-07-2008, 10:20 PM
jss52174
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sirius is great, I have it in my car. No commercials, I can listen to what I want too. I set it up to seek out certain artists or songs. I dont listen to Howard Stern, but I do listen to Ellis on faction. In fact pretty much the only channels I listen to are Faction/Octane/Punk......well and some Hard Attack and Lithium. Its awesome though, I even have the one I can take out of the car and take it to the gym or possibly even take it on the bike. HAvent tried that yet though.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:23 PM
greg09997
Road Warrior
Received 99 Likes on 50 Posts

I have XM on my Bike and now in my car, but I liked the Sirius service better.

I think either one is worth the money.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:27 PM
SA315B
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just don’t get Howard Stern and canceled my Sirius when they signed him and dumped the one channel I listened to most to make room for the two channels they carry him on. I will admit that, at the time, Sirius had a better play list. I don’t know about now as I have had XM for the past three or so years and things may have changed.

I liked XM well enough to add it (purchased the aftermarket kit) to my Street Glide within ten days of taking delivery. It’s all I really listen to. I think I’m paying $15 for the original receiver that I have in my truck, it’s a plug and play so I also use it in the house (for the price, $50 or so, of a docking station) and I pay something like $7 each for the additional radios, one in the wife’s car and one for the bike.

The one in the wife’s car came with the car and the add-on to the Street Glide is a module that fits on top of the stock radio. Everything is hidden inside the faring and the display is part of the stock radio. Very clean installation, not cheap but I think it is worth every Penney.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:34 PM
rockabillygrl
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

I've had Xm for about 6 years now. I can't live without it. I have an Inno, you can record songs you like. Best money I've ever spent. But I think I might like sirius better, their channels have a little more variety. Get something!! You won't regret it if you are a music lover.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:51 PM
doc_cj
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First thing you need to know is that XM and Sirius will soon be the same company. In March the Department of Justice approved the merger. This was the biggest hurdle facing the proposal, and now all that is left is to get the Federal Communications Commission to okay it. That shouldn't be too hard, especially now that the DOJ is on board.

With that in mind let me say that I love my XM radio. I have it in my truck, the wife's car, and have a portable setup that I use in my office and on my bike. The biggest expense is the first system and each additional radio is about $7/month more. A family plan is the best idea if you have more than 3 radios you want to hook up. One of the systems I have allows me to record about 20 hours of music as well, so it's as good as an MP3 player. I use it in the office and on my bike.

Quick Reply: XM/Sirius Satellite radio-what do you think??