General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time buyer help

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008 | 09:00 PM
tnelsmn
|
Advanced
Default First time buyer help

Hello, I have been lurking around this forum for about a year and I am finally gonna buy my new bike. I got my loan approved through my bank today and am going to work out a deal on a 08 Wide Glide. So as far as the dealer is concerned I am paying cash. What I want to know is what kind of deal I can work out with a dealer what things to expect, bs fees and what not. Remember I am 20 years old so I know there gonna try and jack me around. Also I have already signed up for the msf class and take it the first week of June. Hopefully I will have my new bike next Saturday and will get some pics as soon as I can. Thanks in advance!

Old 04-07-2008 | 09:06 PM
skltr
Ultimate HDF Member
Default RE: First time buyer help

Have them work up a price including stage 1 download, SE A/C and a set of slip ons. Work them into an "out the door" price to include taxes and add ons. Then you can shop that figure around for a comparison. Good luck!!!!!

Old 04-07-2008 | 09:39 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Get all the details & pricing for what you are buying then go to the HD website and find the dealer locator and find 2-3 dealers in your area. Shop them all for the same setup and remember you will get a better deal on a bike that they have in stock. If you can't find one in stock...keep shopping. Let them know you have all your cash and are ready to buy for the best deal.

BTW...always deal on an "out the door" price. You may want to see if they will throw in the 1000 mile service as well.

Old 04-07-2008 | 09:53 PM
JohnB445
Tourer

Just my 2 cents. Take your time, get all the options with the correct

part numbers. Get your salesmans email, and email him a list of what

you want. Request an out the door price, including sales tax, frgt, dealer

prep, and delivery. Ask what the charge for your 1000 mile check up, and

oil change will be. There are always misunderstandings with verbal

agreements. When you have it writing, there are none. Before you

go to sign the contract, take a copy with you. I like to think 99%

of people are honest. I always try to protect myself from the 1%

that are not. I hope your purchase is smooth and you are happy.

Old 04-08-2008 | 12:44 AM
Tralfaz
Road Master

Not sure if this is for real or not, but it makes some sense and I've heard others mention it. Dealers often make more money selling a motorcycle with a loan rather than for straight cash. Unless they ask, it might not hurt to not volunteer the fact that you have hooked up your own loan and will be paying them cash until they have offered you the deal you are happy with on the motorcycle.

I paid for my Sportster with cash, and even though I didn't do this conciously, I realize I didn't offer up the fact that I would be doing so. When I was passed off to the deal "closer" I definately detected a note of disappointment at paying with cash. The other reason they don't like people paying cash is that such people will generally have less flexibility on the "extras" like the extended warranty, pre-paid service, tire replacement, etc.

Just a thought there.

Old 04-08-2008 | 05:56 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Tralfaz

Not sure if this is for real or not, but it makes some sense and I've heard others mention it. Dealers often make more money selling a motorcycle with a loan rather than for straight cash.
Yes, it is true. That is one of the reasons the interest rate thru a dealer is higher than elsewhere. A percentage of it goes back to the dealer. Alot of people still think that when they tell the dealer they are going to pay cash that they will get a better deal. If you want to play dirty, start him off thinking he will handle all the financing, get the figurescast in stoneand then at the very final moment tell him you changed your mind !!

Old 04-08-2008 | 06:24 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: whaap

ORIGINAL: Tralfaz

Not sure if this is for real or not, but it makes some sense and I've heard others mention it. Dealers often make more money selling a motorcycle with a loan rather than for straight cash.
Yes, it is true. That is one of the reasons the interest rate thru a dealer is higher than elsewhere. A percentage of it goes back to the dealer. Alot of people still think that when they tell the dealer they are going to pay cash that they will get a better deal. If you want to play dirty, start him off thinking he will handle all the financing, get the figurescast in stoneand then at the very final moment tell him you changed your mind !!
Whaap, are you instructing this nice young gentleman to be, should we say, 'not up front'?
Personally, I don't buy 'new', but whaap has a trip or two around the horn, and ppl I have talked to say let them think you are financing, better deal on the price. (That's provided you will be able to sleep with that on your conscience )

Old 04-08-2008 | 07:24 AM
tnelsmn
|
Advanced

Thanks guys, I know I want to get a set of Hooker Troublemakers a new A/C of some kind, any suggestions would be great, a SERT and dyno tune. Do you think I can pull it off to get them installed for free if I have to pay a dealer set up fee? If not how 'bout a free helmet and jacket?

Old 04-08-2008 | 07:25 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member

Gumby, you don't think I would suggest someone take advantage of a dealer do you ???

Old 04-08-2008 | 09:29 AM
testifer
Road Master

if you are paying cash for the bike i would go in, make a deal on the bike itself...forget any add-ons, it gets to confusing with all the other **** so you dont know what you are really paying for the bike...tell them to toss in the 1000 mile service and a couple hundred off the list. then after you buy the bike they give you a discount for parts and service for like a year...then make your deal on pipes and whatever else you want...then you can seperate the purchase to see what your getting. the tag on the bike usually doesnt include dealer prep and shipping and ****...alot of hidden charges...so paying cash does give you the advatage of seperate purchase so you really know the deal your getting.

Quick Reply: First time buyer help