General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

J&P Cycle

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 01:38 PM
Marblemania
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 1 Post

I've used J&P over the years. Find their chrome is less than average and all from over seas.
As for the shipping? Someone has to pay extra for those fancy printed boxes and all the advertising stuffed into them. What gets me is the extra double charge called "Handling Fee" on top of the high shipping costs. Why does the amount of your purchase dictate the cost of shipping? I thought size and weight were the defining factors, not how much you spend.
Some of the hard parts have been less than as well lately and imported. Quality is not a top priority it seems at times. Returns have always not been a problem with them and that is good because I've had to send stuff back that did not perform or last more than initial turn on.
Otherwise, they are a typical off shore business doing business here.
I prefer VTwin Manufacturing now over J&P.

Old 03-10-2009, 01:39 PM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 21,512 Likes on 8,456 Posts

J&P is OK........

Old 03-10-2009, 01:40 PM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts

For me, always had great customer service. Although a little pricey at times.

Old 03-10-2009, 01:52 PM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used to buy a lot from them when they had a good price on their stuff. Seems like about 14 or 15 years ago they raised their prices. Now Almost everything you can find cheaper. But they are handy and will stand behind their stuff. If you plan on buying more then $500.00 in a year from them it would pay to join the Gold club. Me I just search the web for the best deals.

Old 03-10-2009, 01:59 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,540 Likes on 932 Posts

Do you guys think the original poster from 04-07-2008, 09:40 PM is still waiting for an answer?

Old 03-10-2009, 02:49 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Erbie
I don't know about the rest of you, but I wouldn't recommend JP to anyone. I bought a couple of thousand of dollars worth of stuff from them and ran into problems with the Primo Belt drive for my 97 FLHTC, no one seemed to be able to anwer the questions about the problems I was having due to shimming. One of their most touted "techs" even told me to shim my transmission, how I was to do that and keep the bolt holes in the engine to transmission in line I haven't figured out yet. I asked if I could send it back, and was told flatly if it was on the bike it's yours, still no explanation of how anyone is to tell it was defective until it is on the bike, again I'll never know and neither did the fine gentleman that I was talking to, basically, tough sh__. I worked out the problems with the belt drive with the man from Primo, even with him, it took weeks to straighten it all out, which included taking the outer primary off painting the inside black putting it back on starting the bike and taking the primary back off to see where the belt rubs, outer primary gotta be a pound or two lighter now. It was not the simple maybe, you might have to grind here advertised by J&P and Primo, at least the man at Primo owned up to that it is not unheard of on my bike. I use Dennis Kirk first now and compare prices with J&P, will use them only and only if I have to and am desparate. One more thing, the tool that they send you to lock the engine and trans down to tighten things up, needs extensive modification to it also, there are two of them, I know that, and neither worked. The man from Primo sent me one, then the other one, then a third one which I kept and just modified it, tired of screwing around with idiots.
I read the whole b*tch, and you spent 2 Grand on a Priomo belt drive????And I am not just exactly sure why you are laying this on J&P's doorstep. ESPECIALLY after having to call the factory tech, and STILL having probs.
Guess J&P called them, to say you'd be on the line in a bit.

I have done Primos conversion on RK's, and YES, you have to shim. BUT to blame the 'engineering/design' prob on the co., that stocks it and ships it, is sorta like blaming the dealer when your motor takes a BIG chit because the cam tensioners are designed badly. BUT, IF that's where you 'believe' the prob is, so be it.

BUT I know one thing for dammed sure, you NEVER wrenched on Harleys in the 60's & 70's, or earlier. EVERYTHING was 'custom' fit as you 'went', NOT look thru the catalog, and then, plug and play, like ppl fully expect, and we have ALL come to 'assume'. JMFUO, tho.

My theory, given the state of the economy, as more and more of the after market folks disappear, we are gong back to that, fabricate what cha need.

One theme that I noticed, was folks thought their prices maybe higher than others, BUT the catalog is like a Sears toy book. WELL, DOH, how do you think they are going to be able to afford to keep those items on the shelf, that someone MAY buy 4 times a year, and EVERYONE LOVES to look at in the catalog???(ME included ) Guess that stuff just sits there for FREE, until one of us schmucks, comes along and buys it.
I know dammd well, I can buy cheaper from Jireh than I can from J&P, for the SAME ITEM. Prob is, Jireh has about 20% of the items that J&P has. So, even tho it may cost a few bucks more, I like the idea of keeping J&P 'round, if for no other reason, than just for the 'purdy' catalog.

Old 03-10-2009, 03:01 PM
Xuallus
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've only ordered there once, but I would again. Of course I shop around, but I don't mind paying $5 extra on a part if it's going to save me $50 on brokerage etc. JP uses USPS, which in my opinion destroys UPS/FEDEX jst because of these brokerage charges.

Old 03-10-2009, 03:03 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Marblemania
I've used J&P over the years. Find their chrome is less than average and all from over seas.
As for the shipping? Someone has to pay extra for those fancy printed boxes and all the advertising stuffed into them. What gets me is the extra double charge called "Handling Fee" on top of the high shipping costs. Why does the amount of your purchase dictate the cost of shipping? I thought size and weight were the defining factors, not how much you spend.
Some of the hard parts have been less than as well lately and imported. Quality is not a top priority it seems at times. Returns have always not been a problem with them and that is good because I've had to send stuff back that did not perform or last more than initial turn on.
Otherwise, they are a typical off shore business doing business here.
I prefer VTwin Manufacturing now over J&P.
FYI, they use a lot of the SAME suppliers. And J&P handles V Twin products, also.

Old 03-10-2009, 03:04 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 668 Likes on 414 Posts

J&P is a good company to do business with.

Old 03-10-2009, 03:21 PM
57RebelRocker
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

have always had good luck with them...and still have some things coming from them

Quick Reply: J&P Cycle