General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who's gotten ticketed for LOUD PIPES?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 06:51 PM
Donnylee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 854 Likes on 296 Posts
Default RE: Who's gotten ticketed for LOUD PIPES?

Might be fun to define what people here define as "Loud Pipes". I think mine are considered Performance pipes...Louder then stock. But I am not thinking deafening like slash cut straights....which offer a loss in performance, and are, well justover the top loud.....

So are Rienharts Loud pipes? I do not think they are unless your wristing the hell out of them like a moron through a small town....

Old 04-07-2008, 08:43 PM
Diavolo
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Donnylee
I do not think they are unless your wristing the hell out of them like a moron through a small town....
And that's the key right there.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:50 PM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
Location: Southern California High Desert, here and there....
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Straight pipes on my bike for the past 70K miles. No tickets of any kind. Hope I can keep it going.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:02 PM
kingk9
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: sbdynafan

I have had 2 in socal and both were from being stoped for totally seperate reasons:

1st one was because I stoped on the side of the freeway to zip up my jacket, but I didn't realize I had just pasted a cop sitting behind the toll booth, she lurked up behind me as I was rezipping my jacket (it came unzipped and was not working right). Walks up, says "where is your fastpass?" I say in my pocket... she says "well it didn't read when you went through the toll lane, I am going to have to give you a ticket for not having your fast pass properly mounted on the vehicle" and I see those aren't stock pipes? me: um... Ok? she says "well I am going to ticket you for not having EPA/CARB approved exhaust"
To make a long story not so long, she gave me the ticket but I beat both of them because there is no law or regulation stated by the toll roads like that and the judge threw out the whole thing.

2nd one was for speeding (and of course he added the exhaust ticket to it) and I beat that because the judge appreciated me beeing honest and admitting to speeding. But I travel that road every single day and they had just started construction that day and I convinced the judge that officer was speed trapping motorist that weren't slowing down in the very short warning time, for this construction zone that was poorly marked. he threw the whole thing out but of course in both cases I had to show up for the court date, sit for 3 hours and then pay a $10 court fee...
I've never gotten ticketed for loud pipes. But you, on the other hand, seem to be unlucky?? in this respect. So to quote you "so ask yourself this: are you a irresponsible moron? or responsible adult rider?" Well....which are you?

Old 04-07-2008, 09:41 PM
Topspin
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pulled over 3 times... ticketed twice. Same cop all 3x. [sm=wtf.gif]

Have V&H BSS with quiet baffles. All 3 times I was idling at best. I don't ride like a jackass. This town is just really tough. They ticket any non stock bike.I beat both tickets in court. Dismissed... no $$$. It's a hassle though.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:47 AM
ae4782tt
Road Master

I have had Python Drag Pipes (no baffles) on my O3 Heritage since I bought it 1 1/2 yrs ago. Have put on nearly 15k miles and have never been ticketed. Even with these pipes its easy to tone it down when goin thru town. I often come home late at nite and never have had a neighbor complain either.
I am generally not a big fan of LEO's, but I would venture to guessMOST folks that have been ticketedwere being stupid.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:56 AM
Operator
Advanced

I think in my career I have pulled over one guy for loud pipes. Sitting at a stop light reving at 3am with straight pipes is going to get someones attention. I ended up writing him....but only after he was arrested for felony battery........

Old 04-08-2008, 08:12 AM
bruder
Cruiser

Got a ticket for violation of noise ordinance,beat it though,seems the cops are not officialy trained to test a bike,they did not clear a 30 foot radious,hold the meter in the proper position,and had the test in a parking lot near a brick wall so of course it will echo.
It's time we start fighting back and hold onto our rights,It seems that all these new riders allow the lawmakers to try and strip our rights from us,our lifestyle is changing and not for the better.[sm=WTFsgign.gif]