General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Indiana Woman Dead After Hitting Husband's SUV

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 10:00 AM
hoosierhog88
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Indiana Woman Dead After Hitting Husband's SUV

Brown County Indiana is a wonderful, hilly place to ride motorcycles. I ride there frequently. Too bad this had to happen!

A Noblesville Indiana woman was killed Sunday afternoon in Brown County when her motorcycle ran into the back of a sport utility vehicle being driven by her husband.
Gina Coleman, 43, was pronounced dead at the scene shortly after 5 p.m. by Brown County Coroner Earl Piper.
According to accident reports from the Brown County Sheriff’s Department, Coleman was riding her 2007 Harley-Davidson northbound on Ind. 135 North, just north of the Hornettown Road intersection.
Around 4:45 p.m., Coleman was following her husband, Henry, who was driving his Honda CR-V. A dog wandered into the middle of the roadway, causing both Henry Coleman and southbound traffic to slow down to wait for it to cross.
Gina Coleman was unable to slow down in time, and collided with the back of the Honda CR-V, the accident report said.
Henry Coleman was not injured.
The collision threw Gina Coleman off the motorcycle and into a ditch off of the eastside of the roadway.
Fruitdale and Jackson Fire Department responders administered aid to Coleman as they asked for a medical helicopter to be dispatched to the scene.
The helicopter was disregarded a short time later when it was determined Coleman had died. The cause of the accident remains under investigation. Piper had not yet released the cause of Coleman’s death, as the investigation remains pending. The report indicated that Coleman was wearing a helmet at the time of the accident, but it was not a full helmet.
The report described it as an “upper-half style” helmet that many motorcyclists wear. Sheriff Buck Stogsdill reported Coleman’s death as the first motorcycle fatality of 2008.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:06 AM
drrandall1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Indiana Woman Dead After Hitting Husband's SUV

Wow. Sad. Her hubby must feel terrible

Old 04-07-2008, 10:15 AM
MarkandMary
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats awful, I know how I would feel......we will pray for their families.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:20 AM
TAWoody
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This is an extremely sad story, BUT, someone's gotta say it: It's her own damn fault for following too f'ing close! I HATE anyone who follows me too close, whether it be a bike or a car. It's not safe for the person behind me and it's not safe for ME! If you're not going to drive safe then I could really care less if you die.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:23 AM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member

Prayers to the family and friends.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:33 AM
Phrogman
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: hoosierhog88

The helicopter was disregarded a short time later when it was determined Coleman had died. The cause of the accident remains under investigation. Piper had not yet released the cause of Coleman’s death, as the investigation remains pending. The report indicated that Coleman was wearing a helmet at the time of the accident, but it was not a full helmet.
The report described it as an “upper-half style” helmet that many motorcyclists wear. Sheriff Buck Stogsdill reported Coleman’s death as the first motorcycle fatality of 2008.
This is without a doubt a very sad incident. However, the above statements actually scare me. Usually you get a report of wearing/not wearing a helmet. Now they are being critical of the type of helmet? Pretty soon we're all gonna have to wear full helmets, wait and see.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:41 AM
wdg
Outstanding HDF Member

sorry to family and friends much to husband

Old 04-07-2008, 11:46 AM
LdyMjo
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Phrogman

ORIGINAL: hoosierhog88

This is without a doubt a very sad incident. However, the above statements actually scare me. Usually you get a report of wearing/not wearing a helmet. Now they are being critical of the type of helmet? Pretty soon we're all gonna have to wear full helmets, wait and see.
Full disclosure is not a bad thing. Better to know all the facts to make informed andfactually-basedarguments and decisions--regardless of what side of an issue you're on.I would prefer to know all the stats so riders can make more informed choices.

So sorry in this case for the wife, and husband.

Old 04-07-2008, 12:28 PM
chiabate
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Too bad for the family, reinforces why you've gotta keep your distance and pay attention. My take on the helmet issue is more that they don't guarantee surviving an accident, versus a non-rider dictating what someone should wear. I don't see any bias.

Old 04-07-2008, 12:48 PM
hoosierhog88
Road Warrior

My first thought about the helmet paragraph was they didn't mention if a full helmet versus a half helmet would have made a difference.

I thought it was rather silly to mention the helmet type in the article, but they were quoting the accident report.

Probably trying to stir up something that didn't exist.

Quick Reply: Indiana Woman Dead After Hitting Husband's SUV