General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Indiana Woman Dead After Hitting Husband's SUV

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 05:14 PM
ranger56528
Extreme HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Indiana Woman Dead After Hitting Husband's SUV

That is sad to read.....BUT my friend was killed and it was due to his full face helmet.......when he hit the car the rear view mirror caught the lower half of his helmet and broke his neck,they said if he had on a plain helmet he would of went over the hood and may have lived.........
It goes both way with helmets......

Old 04-07-2008, 05:24 PM
Crazy Biker
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a very sad story. My condolences to the family.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:39 PM
firemankrug
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: TAWoody

ORIGINAL: firemankrug

This is an extremely sad story, BUT, someone's gotta say it: It's her own damn fault for following too f'ing close! I HATE anyone who follows me too close, whether it be a bike or a car. It's not safe for the person behind me and it's not safe for ME! If you're not going to drive safe then I could really care less if you die.
Someone's gotta say it: Thats a ****ed up thing to say!!
I stand by what I said, but I wanted to reinforce what I said also. If a person gets in a wreck due to something completely out of their control and they were doing everything properly to protect themselves then yes, that's an extremely unfortunate turn of events. OR, if they were not properly trained or improperly trained on how to ride, then it's very unfortunate as well.

However, like some sportbike riders out there, if a rider is going to do something unsafe knowingly, (such as riding too close behind a car knowing that they would rear end it if they slam on their brakes but you don't want to back off for one reason or another) THEN I could care less if they die. That's just one less person being stupid on the road causing traffic and confusion because they don't want to obey the laws.
Here's the problem I have with your statement. From the info in the story we don't really know if she was followingtoo close to the suv. She could have been keeping a safe distance and was momentarily distracted for some unknown reason and that caused the accident that took her life.I knowI've had a few "Oh ****" moments on my bike andwhile driving my car, happens to everybody, probably even you. And its not like she was out there stunting at 80 mph, big differenceIMHO.A fellow biker was killed in an accident while riding, seems more appropriate to just say a prayer for her husband her family and friends.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:36 PM
Kolni
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

If you hit the car infront of you then you are following to close...period.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:22 PM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First time out this season I almost rearended a police suv stopped in the road waiting to turn.I hadn't ridden in six years and rode like I was driving a car. Started daydreaming, looked away, looked back and oh no. First thought was I'm gonna die. When I saw I wasn't going to hit all that hard if I hit it I started thinking it's going to be really hard to convince my wife I need a new bike if I get a ticket for rearending a police car.

Overall I was having serious doubts that day about ever riding again. I started out trying to ride down my driveway, hit some twigs and went into a skid. I had visions of not getting stopped and riding the bike down the ravine or laying on the ground watching it bounce down it on it's own. I get it stopped in a awkward position and almost dump it. I don't get 20 miles on the highway and almost hit the police suv. I stopped at a motorcycle dealership, come out, ride down the hill from their parking lot, hear a police siren, can't tell what direction it is or see the car, figure it's a side street it's safe, start out into the road and here comes the police car at about 50 mph around the corner. I wouldn't have even thought he could make that corner that fast.

Personally, the first 4-5 rides of the season, no matter how accustomed you were to riding the previous season, needs be taken with extra caution. Particularly for those that have taken a few seasons off or have only ridden for a few years. I've got about 1500 miles so far this season and I'm just now starting to feel confident again.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:42 PM
streeteagle
Club Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

This is an extremely sad story, BUT, someone's gotta say it: It's her own damn fault for following too f'ing close! I HATE anyone who follows me too close, whether it be a bike or a car. It's not safe for the person behind me and it's not safe for ME! If you're not going to drive safe then I could really care less if you die.
Someone's gotta say it: Thats a ****ed up thing to say!!
I stand by what I said, but I wanted to reinforce what I said also. If a person gets in a wreck due to something completely out of their control and they were doing everything properly to protect themselves then yes, that's an extremely unfortunate turn of events. OR, if they were not properly trained or improperly trained on how to ride, then it's very unfortunate as well.

However, like some sportbike riders out there, if a rider is going to do something unsafe knowingly, (such as riding too close behind a car knowing that they would rear end it if they slam on their brakes but you don't want to back off for one reason or another) THEN I could care less if they die. That's just one less person being stupid on the road causing traffic and confusion because they don't want to obey the laws.
Here's the problem I have with your statement. From the info in the story we don't really know if she was followingtoo close to the suv. She could have been keeping a safe distance and was momentarily distracted for some unknown reason and that caused the accident that took her life.I knowI've had a few "Oh ****" moments on my bike andwhile driving my car, happens to everybody, probably even you. And its not like she was out there stunting at 80 mph, big differenceIMHO.A fellow biker was killed in an accident while riding, seems more appropriate to just say a prayer for her husband her family and friends.
Maybe she was not trained properly on emergency braking, following too close,comb. of both. But no way would I say "I could care less if they die"; a fellow biker & fellow HUMAN BEING LOST HER LIFE, for God's sake. I feel so sorry for her husband & family...

Old 04-07-2008, 07:46 PM
cosmicHD
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a horrible story. Death is sad no matter how it comes. But for her husband to be there and a part of it is an absolute tragedy.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:59 PM
Broken Leg Rider
Road Master

Sad, sad story. Hope if there were kids they are old enough to handle this. So, she was wearing a helmet but not a michilin man air bag coat. Oh my. We gotta make that law now, no matter the people in the South will die of heat stroke wearing one.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:29 PM
MHRider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to clear up one part of the news is that her husband did not drive the SUV and he was riding his own bike behind her and sure saw the whole thing of his wife got killed. I personal know them. Yes it is sad to hear. Be rest in peace and pray for her husband, family and friends.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:39 PM
DesertSpeed
Account Suspended

Either way, it's a bad end to what probably started off as a great day.

Quick Reply: Indiana Woman Dead After Hitting Husband's SUV