General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Licensing the Sturgis Rally

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 10:53 AM
captain m
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Licensing the Sturgis Rally

I remember reading an article about some NASCAR lawyer wanting to license the Sturgis Rally in Easy Rider or some other mag about 7 or 8 yrs. ago. He wanted to charge a fee to enter Sturgis as well as licensing all merchandise sold there !!!!
I was at the rally in '97,and had a great time and plan on going again in '09. I was just wondering if anyone else read this article,and,if anything has been done about it.My personnal thoughts on this is,that they ought to leave us alone and figure out what the hell cup they're going to be next year........maybe the Peanut butter cup!!!!!

Old 04-06-2008, 12:22 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Licensing the Sturgis Rally

We just had a thread on this earlier. I am not sure it is NASCAR, but it is indeed the "Chamber of Commerce" in Sturgis. I can't locate the link right now, but the "Town of Sturgis" and the "Sturgis Rally" are NOT part of the lawsuit. (Lawsuit concerning Little Sturgis in Ky.) And needless to say, the 'average' citizens in Sturgis, SD are rather upset with the lambasting the town is taking over this last round of 'political' football, compliments of a group of over zealous lawyers. Guess 'greed' really knows no boundaries. For the vast majority of ppl i Sturgis, they really do "Welcome" the rally, the bikers, and the 'revenue'. They indeed do know what side of the bread toput the butter on, so to speak. But a "few" knotheads seem to be way over greedy. JMFUO