General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

something i hate about harley davidson

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 10:25 PM
straydog13
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 146 Likes on 96 Posts
Default something i hate about harley davidson

ihate the way so much of their stuff is made in china.ive bought bootleg tshirts from the flea markets for 5 bucks....as opposed to a 25 dollar tshirt from the hd place.after telling people its a flea market shirt some act as if its not "real".does that 25 dollar chinese shirt makes you more "real"?? honestly i think alot of the crotch rocket jackets are better quality than alot of the "genuine" hd jackets.not all but a lot.all the hd toys are made overseas.i went in to find a helmet the other day.the ones i checked all made in china.if people stopped buying hd they would scream for people to buy american...there is honestly a part of me that wonders why as hd davidson doesnt buy american.i mean we as americans...can we not make a tshirt here in american and sell it for less than 25 dollars?theres people that goes out of their way to buy an american moto. i know i am naive in thinking hd should go out of their way to buy american as well.i just want to beleive.harley davidson is about the only thing left in this world that i want to beleive in.---and for everone this is not a bash...just a saddened vent.i am the guy headin out of town with bruce springsteen playing in the background...just wishin for better days...maybe a little loyalty.hope this made sense to someone.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:34 PM
0ut1aw
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: something i hate about harley davidson

China dont make bikes

Seriously though I rarely buy HD stuff except maintenance parts.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:49 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The world ain't what it used to be. http://www.investopedia.com/articles...balization.asp

So what should you believe in? Believe in where a company's vision comes from and how hard a company works to stay true to that. HD isn't perfect, but it has done pretty well in the last decade or so by staying loyal to developing its base product and serving core customers while still expanding both bases, thus making it better able to stay true to its original vision.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:56 PM
sharkeydude
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can thank the gubment for going overseas. Been this way for years. Some of the HD stuff is made here in the USA. Some of the button up embroidered shirts they sell are made right here in Misssissippi. It sucks that so many jobs are lost over seas and down south but, it won't change. I don't buy the clothing stuff except for a T from a dealer I visit. The other clothes I get are gifts from people who don't know the difference. HD is a global company though, has been for nearly the whole run of the company. Go look at the history. I understand your frustration but, just about everything is made somewhere else. Just don't buy an American flag made in China.

Old 04-05-2008, 11:04 PM
itileman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A quality, 6 color T-shirt, made & printed in the USA is about $19.00 wholesale cost. Massive quantities could cut that in cost in half. Do the margin math: cost to HD at $8.50 @ 40% margin ($8.50/.60) = $14.17 to the dealer, not including frieght. Dealer to you at the same margin ($14.17/.60) = $23.61
So, theoretically, the moco could buy US made and make a fair profit. But, greed drives the corporate engine.
I have one "genuine" HD dealer T-shirt, got it off the 1/2 price rack.

Old 04-06-2008, 12:30 AM
PITA
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't give a crap, as long as China isn't designing or making the bikes.Often wefrgetthat HD is a motorcycle company that producesmostly classic American bikes...otherwise they'rea for profit corporation, period.And before I hear about "not getting it" - I get it, I just don't"buy it".

Otherwise, I love my RKC.

Old 04-06-2008, 12:35 AM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

awww, jeeez....[sm=why.gif]

Old 04-06-2008, 12:54 AM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

What difference does it really make? Harley employs a lot of Americans selling Chinese clothes. So do Wal-Mart and just about every department store in this country.

If these same products were made in the good old USA, they would more than likely be made by illegal aliens. How many of you would be willing to work in a textile sweat shop?

Old 04-06-2008, 07:23 AM
domenicp7
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

The Chinese ecomony is booming and we( U.S.) consumer is fueling their growth. I spent a month working in Shanghai and couldn't believe their ablitity to knock off anything. I wouldn't be suprised if they knock off a Harley.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:32 AM
Jonny Cannon
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Erm....actually....a Chinese company bought Benelli. Expensive, exotic Italian motorcycles. How'dya like them apples?

Shirts in North America, that are made here, are more expensive because we have to pay the staff minimum wage (I don't know what it is nowadays - $7?). If we buy stuff from China, it sells cheaper because we only have to pay for the 900 5-year-olds in an illegal sweat shop turning them out for 5 cents a month.

For the record, I feel no guilt about the sweat shop thing.

Get back to work before I burn your feet! BURN YOUR FEET!

Cannon

Quick Reply: something i hate about harley davidson