General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Davidson Sales Job.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 11:21 PM
FireHawk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Harley Davidson Sales Job.

ORIGINAL: SKJOLD

No, I will be in St.Pete at Jim's HD. I will be starting full time tomorrow. Thanks to everyone for your advise, and wish me luck for tomorrow.
ORIGINAL: Thomas

Don't tell me you will be working for Gulf Coast.
They suck.....
[sm=signs003.gif]

You'll do just fine.

Old 02-10-2006, 11:30 PM
rick
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

skjold, you can always apply at one of the local PD's down here in Dade County.It's never a dull moment.

Old 02-10-2006, 11:38 PM
Harley Al
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have a Great time!...I just wish you where in the parts Dept.

I always need parts

Old 02-11-2006, 05:53 PM
BBDeluxe
Cruiser

Do exactly what the guy I dealt with at my Harley Dealership did, and you will be thought of as King. He was just fantastic:

1. Welcomed me to the shop. Made me feel like I could and should take as much time as I wanted and it didn't matter if I was actually interested in buying as much as being interested in the bikes themselves.
2. Armed with real solid knowledge about all the bikes (and it is a lot to learn), and lots and lots of aftermarket stuff.
3. When I started honing in on what I thought I wanted, he spent a lot of time trying to understand what kind of riding I might be doing, especially when I was trying to decide between two different models.
4. Took me into the back of the shop so I could hear several different bikes with different aftermarket exhausts to get a better idea of what I should order.
5. Called me after my purchase, but before my bike came in to say "hey, we are putting on an exhaust you were considering. Can you come down to the shop in the next two days before this bike leaves so you can hear this? I think THIS is what you are looking for." He didn't have to do that, because I was already committed to spending anyway.
6. When I later apologized for consuming so much of his time he said "what are you crazy? I don't sell these bikes. They sell themselves. I just want you to get exactly what you are gonna be happiest with. I have guys come in every week for a year before they decide. When they do, I really feel like I know them, so I can really help 'em out. You have no idea how much fun it is for me to see guys and gals come back here just to say hi and remind me how much fun they are having...and how much riding they are doing."
7. All these guys at this dealer were totally honest, including steering me away from some products I would have purchased. They really knew what I wanted and steered me in that direction.

Know your stuff, be sincere and enthusiastic and let the bikes sell themselves, because you know they will.

Good luck and have fun.

Bones

Old 02-11-2006, 06:17 PM
ladyglide
Elite HDF Member

Congrats!!, I was offered a full-time position in merch. sales, they called me, and I wasn't even job hunting![8D](that felt good). I jumped for it, then realized it would not work for the family to do full-time right now.[&o] It's sure nice to know they were interested, maybe in a year or so, I can go for it again!

Old 02-11-2006, 08:44 PM
nightrain05
Cruiser

I think you are gettin good advice like be yourself these rides do sell themselves but I believe you should try to be avalible to answer all questions no matter how simple they may be people really like to be treated like they matter so now your product and be attentive to your clients needs and you will sell bikes.go the extra mile to make someone comfortable ie:like they are not wasting your time and you will go far. Best of luck to you keep us informed of your progress

Old 02-11-2006, 08:50 PM
sfarson
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't have much to add to all the good advice above. Just will note how much a smile, kindness, being personable, matters. Follow through well. Remember names -- it will set you apart.

Old 02-12-2006, 01:18 AM
Thomas
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jims Harley is a pretty good dealer.
At least the people that work there are friendly.
Harley gulf coast as you know it they have to give free food out just to get
people to come. Good luck maybe I will see you there someday....

Old 02-12-2006, 01:08 PM
Wilinfla
Tourer

Good luck, Jims is a good dealer, at least as far as Harley dealers go. Maybe they can answer the phone with the extra help. I called around last year to get a price on the wife's Sportster, after being on hold for over 5 minutes I hung up and called another dealer. The other dealer at least seemed enthusiastic about the prospect of selling a bike and they got my business.

Old 02-12-2006, 02:06 PM
Cigar Aggie
Road Master

SKJOLD - I was in that shop just a couple of weeks ago. Met one of the sales ladies, Blonde who originally was from Texas if i remember, she was short like my wife so we talked about bikes that would fit. We also talked about the widest rear tire that would fit on my springer classic. When you see her tell her the guy from Texas said hello....a really neat place I might add.....sales tips --- used to be in sales and was quite successful, so I thought I might add my three cents (inflation ya know!). Everyone can tell you what they want, but few can tell you what they need. Ask questions and listen and help them arrive to the best bike that meets their needs. You might not make the sale that day but you will impress them that 1) You are attentive to THEIR needs, 2) You are knowledgeable on your products and 3) You are PASSIONATE about your business. Toomany try to sell up giving way more than the person can either afford or handle leading to either resentment about their finances or worst, an accident.....Congratulations on the new job and much success....PS I will be back in Jan 07 with the wife to do a Fly n Ride deal!!!!

Quick Reply: Harley Davidson Sales Job.