General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Davidson Sales Job.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 02:46 AM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Harley Davidson Sales Job.

Best thing my salesperson did was followup.
She called to let me know status of my order.
Called to make sure everything was good a week later.
Called again a month later to make sure everything still was OK.

Made me feel like they appreciated my business, and I'll give it to them as long as they dont change.

They also 'put up' with me for nearly 2 weeks of nightly visits to make my decision and ask 128934809321480932840932842 questions.

One last great thing... when I am there, they know I just bought a bike, and aren't trying to cram a new one down my throat... unlike a certain dodge dealer where I take my truck for service. [:@]

Old 02-10-2006, 09:34 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

ORIGINAL: SKJOLD

Well, since I spend so much time riding, working on, and talking about Harleys, I figured I minus well go over to the dealership and apply for a job. I put in my application, nailed the interview and got hired on as a salesman. I was wondering if there are any other Harley Davidson salespeople out there, and what advice they would have to becomming successful in this line of work.
Get ready to not have anytime to do the above mentioned activities anymore. I know that sales folks at my dealer are busy with a capital B, they don't get time do much riding because their always at the dealership. These guys pretty much work 6 days per week and 10 - 12 hour days, the majority of the riding they get in is riding to and from work. In this area they have to make hay while the sun shines because come November and December things slow down and don't pick back up until mid January, when the majority of your pay check is from comission you need to work like hell and then sock it away for the lean times.

Old 02-10-2006, 10:41 AM
wild wally
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's been lots of advice good advice here. But one thing hasn't been said. You have to learn to close without being pushy. You've got to get the customer to commit and seal the deal. I don't know where you're at, but in most areas there quite a few dealers within a 60 to 90 mile radius. People will shop around and look for a long time. To turn them from looker to buyer without being a pain is tricky. I would buy a book or video on selling. Learn techniques like the "trial close" that lead the customer into the sale. Learn to read cues when the customer has made up their mind, and get them to fill out that credit report or put a deposit down, before they walk out and go to another dealer.

(can you tell I used to be in sales?)

Wally

Old 02-10-2006, 12:19 PM
FireHawk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: terryt1955

Larry,

I am in the process of applying for a sales position at my local dealer. I'm hanging up the COP business after 24 years. I'll let you know how it goes.

Wish Me Luck
Good luck Terry and Larry! (hmmmm do we have a Mo around?)

Old 02-10-2006, 12:20 PM
Stucarius
Cruiser

Be excited about your job, love your customers, listen, be sincerely interested.

When I bought by Dyna a few weeks back the first dealership I went had the bike but the sales guy did not seem real interested and his sincerity was wanting. I was like I had to ask him to tell me about the bike. I ended up going to a different dealer where a great guy named GC took care of me and did a fantastic job of going the extra mile. He got my business, my commission and since then he has sold 3 more bikes through referal from me. It pays to treat every customer as an opportunity to build a relationship and make a friend.

Sales is about relationships and trust. Lose either and you lose the customer.

Old 02-10-2006, 12:42 PM
FireHawk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

My Salesman knows me. Did he know me before I stared coming in and drooling all over the bikes? Nope. But he knows my name, my bike, what I've done to the bike, knows my wife, knows her name.
He is always happy to see us when we drop in for soemthing or just to drool over the new bikes. He takes time to talk to us or if he is with someone that is drooling over bikes and asking questions he will SMILE and wave and have a brief comment to us and then without missing a beat he is back with his current customer.

On my deal he made sure I was aware of what was going on and what was going on with my bike. My bike got bumped back twice from the MoCo (they were busting their butts getting bikes out) but he called me and let me know what was going on and why. He introduced me to the rest of the dealership and darn near most of them know me by sight! (Same thing. Name, bike, wife)

All that results in one thing. I will be back. (Hell, I'm hardly away)

Is it butt kissing? Maybe, but I LIKE IT! [sm=smiley36.gif]

Old 02-10-2006, 09:52 PM
SKJOLD
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, I will be in St.Pete at Jim's HD. I will be starting full time tomorrow. Thanks to everyone for your advise, and wish me luck for tomorrow.
ORIGINAL: Thomas

Don't tell me you will be working for Gulf Coast.
They suck.....

Old 02-10-2006, 10:00 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

GOOD LUCK LARRY

Let us know how your first day goes.

Old 02-10-2006, 10:13 PM
itsahog
Cruiser

First thing all salemen have to do is sell themselfs. Be yourself, you either are or your not. Simple.

Old 02-10-2006, 10:18 PM
jeepster09
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,774 Likes on 1,267 Posts

ORIGINAL: mikeisglidn

was really into remote controll flying. planes and helicopters........opened a hobby shop and after selling hobby stuff and working on peoples planes it ruined my love for flying. since i really want to ride, i wouldnt think of working at a dealership. i hope terry and the others that go to work for a dealership have a great time, lots of success, and i doesnt change thier love for riding!!
Cool

Maybe you'll give me a deal on a helicopter??? I have been wanting to try a new hobby this summer.

Quick Reply: Harley Davidson Sales Job.