General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Davidson Sales Job.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 10:04 AM
hdman
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Harley Davidson Sales Job.

I really admire a salesman that knows his product, and HAS the AUTHORITY to deal...... Its to the dealers benefit to have salesmen on the floor who know the BOTTOM line, and don't have to be a RUNNER to THE MAN. And, yes I know there is a Limit to what a Salesman can do on a particular deal. Just like the FEEL of a Sales person who's "In the Know" and can give me the answers....... hdman

Old 02-09-2006, 10:11 AM
Thomas
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't tell me you will be working for Gulf Coast.
They suck.....

Old 02-09-2006, 07:37 PM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

1- They don't try to sell anyone - anything. They know that if you're there - you're already sold. One guy "Mac" makes it his mission to help his customer find the right bike for them. He never pushes his favorite bike - he helps his customer find there perfect fit for them.

2- Product knowledge is key to every sales job. The same guy, Mac, knows his job, and his product. He's a great listener, and asks the right questions. He wants to know what you love about bikes, where you're going, is it comfort - speed - big trips - just cruzin around town.... He's very good about getting his customer to open up. Once he finds out what the customer REALLY needs - he starts the grand tour. He'll have you sit on many different bikes, and point out how they feel different - handle different....

3- Have fun. Mac is like a people magnet. He loves his job, he loves working with people, and he's got a killer attitude. When my Bro bought his 2005 H-C he bought it through Mac, and because the experience was so good - he had me go out to that same Dealer to buy mine. Mac wasn't there that day - but the guy who helped me was also great.
That is an exact description of my salesman, super guy. Treated me like he cared. Took about 2 hours my first time seriously looking letting me try on every model bike in the dealership and explaining the pros and cons of them all. Took an hour the next weekend when I narrowed down my choices. No interruptions for other business, just him and me.

Old 02-10-2006, 12:21 AM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Keep track of the "deal" and follow thru.

The first Harley buying experience I had was like trying to nail jello to the wall.

I (the customer) had to push the sales person. It was one of those "buy it from the list" deals.

I wanted only one extra for the bike as part of the sale (the Gold Key package).

"Oh sure, no problem, I will write it up, etc. blah, blah."

And it was. But no one ordered it.

I let them know that for that kind of money they should have to do some kind of work.

Old 02-10-2006, 01:13 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member

was really into remote controll flying. planes and helicopters........opened a hobby shop and after selling hobby stuff and working on peoples planes it ruined my love for flying. since i really want to ride, i wouldnt think of working at a dealership. i hope terry and the others that go to work for a dealership have a great time, lots of success, and i doesnt change thier love for riding!!

Old 02-10-2006, 01:18 AM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

Hey, at least I'll get all my stuff for 10% over dealer cost. I can see lots of mods coming up.

Old 02-10-2006, 01:47 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member

but will you have time to install them and more important enjoy them??

Old 02-10-2006, 01:50 AM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

Well, it's 35 miles each way to the dealership so at least I'll get to ride 70 miles a day.

Old 02-10-2006, 02:00 AM
fl_799
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey, when you get 'on the inside', give us a few tips and tricks for getting a good deal!

Old 02-10-2006, 02:08 AM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 65 Posts

A neighbor and fellow "live to ride, ride to eat" biker is a parts Mgr at a valley dealer. He keep offering me a job, but it is a 30 mile commute. I swore when I retired I would never commute again. As soon as they open a dealer out here I will apply to work for a dollar an hour less than they pay everyone else. Don't need the money, think it would be fun.

Quick Reply: Harley Davidson Sales Job.