General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet quetion

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 09:17 PM
ecoli
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Helmet quetion

ORIGINAL: Kolni

I find it funny that people buy helmets based on looks.
I find it funny that you feel the need to make the same comment on every single helmet thread.

Wait, scratch that. I meant to say I find it ANNOYING!

Old 04-04-2008, 09:24 PM
kingk9
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: BigE410

Im lookin for a new helmet for this summer, the one I have now is NOT DOT approved and Ive decided I want to get one that is. My problem is this, I went for the non DOT approved one in the first place because Im a thin dude, im 5'9 and about 150lbs I want a thin helmet, not one of these helmets that sticks out 2inchs on either side of my head, so my question is.....What is the thinnest DOT approved "skull cap" type helmet out there??
I have never seen a dot approved helmet that doesn't make you look like a short bus rider. I've got 3 that all claimed to be the smallest DOT helmets made. Guess what, they're all too big. I ended up with a novelty helmet. I'm not really that concerned with the safety aspect of a DOT cause I never wore a helmet till they made it the law in California. I just thought it would be easier to be legal. I do carry my Vega helmet in my saddlebag though in case I get stopped by the cops and they won't let me proceed without a Dot helmet. Call me shallow, or a slave to fashion, or whatever, but I'm not gonna ride around lookin like a f**kin dork with a big stupid lookin helmet on my head. I have had no luck finding a small Dot helmet. Good luck in your search though, and if you find one, let me know and I'll buy one too. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:28 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jetpat

I love how guys who ask questions...who are obviously new here, immediately see the STUPID side of this forum with comments like - use the Search Button. Just answer the guy's question and if you're sick of answering ~ don't open the friggin' thread.

BigE...finding a "thin" DOT helmet can be tough or easy. Easy is part with $200 and buy one of the ACC models that everyone here touts. OR drive yourself freakin' bonkers doing Google searches and sending lids back 'cuz they aren't what they looked like in the picture. Even harder yet...travel to all the dealers trying them on. Just my .01789 (adjusted for the crap market).
Actually, I pointed out the time savingand educational benefit of the search feature, which the new members may not be aware of...

"Stupid" struck when you posted your comment that you have the right to tell me or any other member what posts we can reply to and in what way you deem best.

I've noted your tendency toward antagonism in some of your other posts, and you remind me of the old axiom "Never argue with an idiot...they'll drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience."

So, I've decidedthat formy own best interests, and to maximize my enjoyment of this site, I've blocked your posts...
Only a true idiot would post a rant in reply after being told this, knowing I can't see it and won't care,your choice to prove me wrong or validate my opinion.

Have a nice day...

My apologies to the original poster for the highjack and we now return to our regularly scheduled programing...

Old 04-05-2008, 12:26 AM
HogDeluxe
Former Sponsor

ACC is the thinest. Next to them HCI is the best. I own 4 of their helmets and the quality and fit is awesome. Go to Jafrum.com

here are a few suggestions,

http://www.jafrum.com/Motorcycle-Hel.../100SolidBlack
http://www.jafrum.com/Motorcycle-Hel...s-105/105Black This is the one I wear most of the time.
http://www.jafrum.com/Motorcycle-Hel...mets-50/50MattThis is my retro helmet, very confortable!

Old 04-05-2008, 03:51 AM
jbhoyle
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: HogDeluxe

ACC is the thinest. Next to them HCI is the best. I own 4 of their helmets and the quality and fit is awesome. Go to Jafrum.com

here are a few suggestions,

http://www.jafrum.com/Motorcycle-Hel.../100SolidBlack
http://www.jafrum.com/Motorcycle-Hel...s-105/105Black This is the one I wear most of the time.
http://www.jafrum.com/Motorcycle-Hel...mets-50/50MattThis is my retro helmet, very confortable!
Is the 100 series from Jafrum made by HCI. I ordered the 50 Retro and the THH Carbon Fiber. My wife took the THH, but I sent the Retro back. Thought they looked cool, but just not on me. I was looking at the 100Leather. I like the HCI's and if the 100's are made by them i was going to order it. My local HD Dealer sells the HCI Leather @ $70.00 not $39 like Jafrum. I live 40 miles from Jafrum Warehouse but they won't let you go there a see the helmets or try them on. Everything is strickley mailorder. A good thing is it's free shipping to you, only costed $6 to send it back.

Old 04-05-2008, 05:59 AM
Jetpat
Banned

ORIGINAL: *NIGHT TRAIN*

Actually, I pointed out the time savingand educational benefit of the search feature, which the new members may not be aware of...

"Stupid" struck when you posted your comment that you have the right to tell me or any other member what posts we can reply to and in what way you deem best.

I've noted your tendency toward antagonism in some of your other posts, and you remind me of the old axiom "Never argue with an idiot...they'll drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience."

So, I've decidedthat formy own best interests, and to maximize my enjoyment of this site, I've blocked your posts...
Only a true idiot would post a rant in reply after being told this, knowing I can't see it and won't care,your choice to prove me wrong or validate my opinion.

Have a nice day...

My apologies to the original poster for the highjack and we now return to our regularly scheduled programing...

1. Hmmm...Pot meet kettle. I've seen your antagonistic posts ala the above with your reply. Again, just answer the f'ng question or don't post. Its a prettysimple thing to do.

2. Great...kinda like a 3 year old stubborn littlekid instead of the big, manly Harley rider you try to play on the weekends. Have a nice day. And how smart of you to say anyone posting knowing I'm blocked is an idiot. True keyboard commando **** there!

To any other party who cares. I come to this board to readgood info and maybe, possibly give a thought regarding something. What I don't take lightly is arrogant ****** like these 2 who like to preachtheir dribble. Well, sorry ~ that's just f'ng stupid in my eyes.

Old 04-05-2008, 08:48 AM
Sam
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BigE, after the 4 year olds are finished kicking sand at each other, here's some info that may help. You have to watch what you are buying, if you want to get something that will actually help in a crash. At the shop, we stopped selling ACC helmets (Advanced Carbon Composites, that's the name of the company, not the product).....they failedsome very importantgovernment tests (NHTSA DOT testing), the most important being penetration. In other words, we couldn't sell helmets for the kind of money that these things cost and give a rider a sense of security that wasn't true.

There are also a lot of others that have failed, not just ACC - and surprisingly – a lot that you wouldn't expect, have passed (ie:The DOT Daytona Skull Caps, did quite well in the testing and they are pretty small for a DOT helmet). Also, a lot of the Fulmer half helmets did quite well in the testing and they are also a lot narrower than most DOT helmets.

ACCHelmets(don't waste your money)
DaytonaHelmets(small for a DOT)
FulmerHalfHelmets(Not as small as theDaytona, but still very narrow compared to most)
nhtsaDOTtesting(2007 -ACC - pg 27 explains about the penetration failure)

Old 04-05-2008, 09:00 AM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

shhhheeeesh..... poor guy just wanted a little help with a helmet...

NOW LOOK,,, room full of broken teeth, blood splatters,busted furniture,cryin widows,gun smoke!!

Old 04-05-2008, 09:11 AM
cwalms
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Jetpat

I love how guys who ask questions...who are obviously new here, immediately see the STUPID side of this forum with comments like - use the Search Button. Just answer the guy's question and if you're sick of answering ~ don't open the friggin' thread.
+1

I like the ACC helmet. Here is a link to their website http://carbonfiberhelmets.com/

Old 04-05-2008, 09:11 AM
Jetpat
Banned

ORIGINAL: electaRICK

shhhheeeesh..... poor guy just wanted a little help with a helmet...

NOW LOOK,,, room full of broken teeth, blood splatters,busted furniture,cryin widows,gun smoke!!

I was trying to give the poor guy help in the beginning'til idiocy prevailed Guilty as charged in acting up. Apologies.

Quick Reply: Helmet quetion