General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Richmond VA area dealers

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008 | 09:12 PM
BigDaddyMike
Club Member
Default RE: Richmond VA area dealers

I am in Tidewater and have several dealers close including Richmond. I am the kind that doesn't mind paying what I consider a fair price for good treatment and servoce after the sale. Anybody can sell you a bike, but not all can take care of you as a customer for the long haul. That being said, I believe that Hampton Roads HD is one of the best dealers in VA and I know a LOT of folks who come from Richmond to buy and service there. You don't stay in this business for over 30 years, keep growing and get all the customer service awards from the MOCO without doing something right, JMO PS NO I do not work there!
Mike

Old 04-04-2008 | 10:48 PM
jammerx
Stellar HDF Member

Hampton Roads HD in Yorktown is a good dealer to deal with. Southside HD (same owner) I avoid due to service department issues. Parts at Southside are excellent. My regular dealer is Bayside HD, which is a pita since I live 15 mins from SSHD.The sevice departmentis top notch.I was not so impressed with the quote Baysidegave me on a trade in, so I didnt buy a new bike.

Old 04-04-2008 | 11:12 PM
BigDaddyMike
Club Member

Chad, the Service manager in Yorktown is kin to Mary(the owner). I would encourage you if you had ANY problems with service at SSHD to chat with him. He has treated me really well the past few years and they have some top notch (25 year plus) wrenches there. I agree parts are good at both but I am on the Peninsula. That's funny, I looked at Bayside before I bought my most recent HD and they did not even act like they wanted to talk to me, went to Yorktown and was treated like an homored guest...

Old 04-05-2008 | 05:29 AM
Swamp Tiger
Cruiser

As much as I like Harleys, the difference in the quality of their dealerships is frustrating. I bought my first Harley (Sportster 1200XLH) from Bayside in Portsmouth, VA that had constant nagging problems that they never fully corrected. Without going into detail, I ultimately suspected faulty dealer prep on the bike.

I decided to add a touring bike to my "fleet" in 2005 and went to Hampton Roads HD based on "word of mouth" references. I also discovered that HRHD had the guts to join the Better Business Bureau. They were great, and I have had no problems with my 2005 Road King.

When I moved to Alabama in late 2005, I went to a local HD dealership for some routine service on both bikes and was not satisfied with their service. Not wanting to repeat my experience in Portsmouth, I looked up the Better Business Bureau on the web and found an HD dealer in Pensacola listed. I tried them, got good service, and wound trading in my Sportster for a Low Rider in late 2006.

For me, getting good service is important, for my job demands don't allow me the time to do much of my own service. I want to ride when I have some free time rather than work on the bike. That being said --- I really wish Harley would improve the consistency of the quality of their dealerships.

Hope this helps a little. By the way --- this is my first post on this forum. This forum is by far the best I have found --- regardless of the bike affiliation.

Old 04-05-2008 | 05:48 AM
basman
Novice

The North Richmond and South Richmond dealers are owned by the same folks.

Old 04-05-2008 | 11:15 AM
57springer57
Road Captain

I look at price and service and a balance between the two

Old 04-05-2008 | 02:17 PM
Rootboy
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: FreestateXL

I'll echo what Sarg said- we have three bikes from Waugh's, and they are great to deal with.
I'll chime in also, I bought mine at Waugh's. I did a spreadsheet for 3 dealers (Richmond HD, Waugh's, Colonial), Waugh's came out on top, price (and from asking around, service wise also). I had gone back to Rich HD gave them the figures and they said (....for a couple hundred bucks difference, you'd buy it out of town? (a couple hundred bucks was about $600.00, and Waugh's threw in an extra years warranty (o.k. - insurance). I said Ah yea.......Richmond HD said they couldn't (read WOULDN'T) match it. So Poof!....... out of town I went. I guess their bikes must still walk off the floor and see no need to deal! Too bad, I would have liked to keep my business more local, but business is business.

Also the drive up to Orange from Richmond (about 70 miles) makes for a good destination to meet my family from NVa at "The Lunchbox" for a bologna burger then go drop some $ at Waugh's for "goodies".

Bottom line Richmond HD wouldn't "talk the talk" so I "walked the walk". Better luck to them next time............

Old 04-09-2008 | 09:13 AM
saxybill1
Intermediate

I am also pleased with Waugh Enterprizes. You should drive a bit further and check out Waugh.

Old 04-10-2008 | 12:12 PM
Beertapper
Cruiser

Waugh is good, but also check out Shenandoah HD in Staunton. Their sales people are great, and the service department is top notch.

Old 04-16-2008 | 06:17 AM
Riff156
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: VA Biker

I would be willing to pay a little more for good service after all the nightmare stories I have read on here. But thats just me.

You've got a good point. Good service is worth paying for-- And to echo what others have said, I've only ever heard good things about Waugh.

Quick Reply: Richmond VA area dealers