General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Excessive Heat

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008 | 11:37 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Default RE: Excessive Heat

TROLL-[sm=violent053.gif][sm=smiley11.gif][sm=shootshoot.gif]

[IMG]local://upfiles/49894/2404C34720C84B81965C21DC5FAF1977.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-04-2008 | 11:19 AM
SA315B
|
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: lh4x4

TROLL-[sm=violent053.gif][sm=smiley11.gif][sm=shootshoot.gif]

[IMG]local://upfiles/49894/2404C34720C84B81965C21DC5FAF1977.jpg[/IMG]
No sir, this is not a Troll.

While I am not surprised that a HD service manager tried to sell me a HD product, I am surprised that he had no knowledge of the EITMS system (didn’t even know what it was until I asked about it) and that he never saw SB M-1213A. I knew nothing about it (the Service Bulletin) until I learned about it here but I’m not a service writer working for a large metropolitan HD Dealership located in South Florida.

I could have forgiven his not knowing about it but after he tried to BS me with the “you are turning your cruise control off ” explanation I’ll never trust another HD employee to give me a straight answer and I believe I will be taking my future business to an independent.

Old 04-04-2008 | 12:29 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: SA315B

ORIGINAL: Da Gumpmeister

ORIGINAL: SA315B

ORIGINAL: stro1965

Keep in mind that EITMS only works at idle. Once you blip the throttle a bit that rear cylinder kicks back in. It's really not doing much at all except at idle. You might want to look at richening up your AFR's with a PCIII or something.
I guess I'm not the brightest bulb on the tree, what are AFR's and what is a PCIII?
AFR = Air/Fuel Ratio
PC III = Power Commander III http://www.powercommander.com/powerc...formation.aspx
With EFI, upgrading will change the AFR to a "richer" condition, which in turn will lower the op temp. Lean conditions run "hot" and they run them lean to pass EPA Regs. Hope that helps decipher some of the murkiness for you. If you are an "ol' skool" wrench, it would be the same as changing the jets in a carb.
The "EITMS" = Engine Idle Temp Management System, is what some call "parade mode" drops the rear cylinder if the motor gets too hot. But as Stro said, it only works at idle.
NOW, don't ask me to work on them, I am a carb guy. TOO old to invest in ALL the gear needed to accomplish the tasks on these "new" Harleys, BUTI have friends in "low" places , and they have the gear.

The service manager at the local dealership told me that a Power Commander would eventually screw up the Harley brain and that the HD SE Race Tuner was the only way to go. He told me this the other day when I was in for the 1,000 mile service. I asked him about the procedure for getting the back cylinder to kick off line at idle (EITMS) and I even demonstrated rolling the throttle off and holding it there for a few seconds until the cruise indicator flashed green or orange. He knew nothing about it and promised to check it out.

Today he tells me that I was turning the Cruise Control on and off when I held the throttle closed so I asked him to read Service Bulletin M-1213A I’m still wondering if I have to have this activated or was it automatically set up during the dealer prep. I purchased this bike from a different dealer and of course, now that the bike has been delivered, the salesman won’t return a call.

And now that he (the service manager) has proven himself to be full of s--- about the EITMS I have to doubt everything else he told me so I’m beginning to think the SE Race Tuner might not be the be all end all he claimed it to be. I’m looking into the Power Commander and the Fuel Moto PC or is this the same unit? Is Fuel Moto a distributor for Power Commander. Is there another unit I should be looking at?
Fuelmoto is the larges distributor of Power Commanders. If you buy from them you will get a map included to match your set up. And, no a PC cannot mess up your ECM.