General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IPOD headphones for riding?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 11:50 PM
YellowHawk
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default IPOD headphones for riding?

I recently bought an Ipod Shuffle for use when riding. I have the set of headphones that came with it and a pair of Philips surround sound headphones that I bought. Trouble is, between the wind noise and no windshield, I can barely hear it even with it cranked all the way up. Any suggestions for the right headphones for riding?

Old 03-30-2008, 12:18 AM
CarbideDude
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: IPOD headphones for riding?

I go bluetooth from my LG Chocolate phone. Got 2 set of speakers: for half helmet (mostly all summer) I've got a pair of Oakley R'OKR sunglasses that have bluetooth headphones built in. Not too bad volume wise. In my fullface I have speakers mounted permanently in the helmet,plugged intoa waterproofbluetooth receiver unit mounted to the outside of the helmet. This set up produces incredible volume and very crisp stereo quality, pumping tunes right into your ears.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:35 AM
YellowHawk
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I could probably hear mine if I used my full face helmet....I don't though. The wind noise is my main problem.

Old 03-30-2008, 05:01 AM
TxDeuce
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going through same issue. Tried 3/4 helmet, no help. While at BikeWeek came across company that makes cutom earplugs with headphones built in. Still waiting for them to come in to try. While I was at their booth another rider came up with his that he had previously bought and claimed they worked great. Owner of company said 100% money back guarantee. Here is there website, you would have to go to a rally that they would be at to get made. Kind of pricey ($300) but if they work as claimed should be worth it (www.bigearinc.com).

Old 03-30-2008, 05:08 AM
nridge128
Cruiser

I have a set of JVC, whichis an over the earpiece with noise canceling ear plug design, ($ 15+/-).Check Wal-Mart, Best Buy, K-Mart electronics dept. Works great!

Old 03-30-2008, 07:40 AM
jasonyankees
Advanced

Try the earbuds that fit into your ear and use the biggest ones you can fit. This should block out most of the wind.

[IMG]local://upfiles/52091/564F7E0509944F75B16AB9DC158DB0A9.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-30-2008, 07:51 AM
HD4DP
Road Captain

This may be a silly question but isn't it against the law to ride with earphones?

Old 03-30-2008, 07:52 AM
dastark
Road Master

Etymotic. In ear, several tips to fit. They allow you to hear tune, yet still hear what's going on around you. (Important)

Old 03-30-2008, 09:09 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah, you need isolation earphones. They're not like those earbuds that just slip into your ear like the ones that come with your iPod. You actually fit them into your ear canal (they come with different size rubber/silicone things for different sized ears).

I got a pair of Skullcandy ones at Target for $14.99. Some people spend serious coin on fancier ones. But I figure on a bike, there is going to be a certain amount of competing white noise (wind noise) no matter what your set-up is anyway, so $14.99 was about right. I use them with a full-face (I typically ride with visor half-open, though), and with or without windshield. They easily fit under my helmet. They sound pretty good, and sound very good off the bike. Better bass and richer mid-range than the iPod earbuds.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:15 AM
Trock
Outstanding HDF Member

Try Shure brand they have a bunch of different tips to put on them. The foam ones work best. You just roll them between your fingers and stick them in your ears. If you find the right size you won't have any wind noise trust me. They sound great but are a little expensive.

Quick Reply: IPOD headphones for riding?