General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I luv the bike but honestly......

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008 | 11:22 AM
hdpearson13
Road Warrior
Default RE: I luv the bike but honestly......

hey ifyour getting it back in good time and still have found these problems under breakin your in good shape. Thats normally the best time too find problems. and yes the EPA is a bunch of BS. Harley accually does a good job getting a huge aircooled v too meat there bs regs anyway. Hd relizes that its BS and makes it easy for you toshort cut the BS and the dealers are traditionally very good at helping you out. when otherdealersof other manufaturers wont letanything slip becausewarranty work isnt as profitible.I thinkmy harleys have been solid made bikes when other bikes seem to be made out ofcheap steel and plastics acomponied by to much soft white metal. But i kinda do understand were you are coming from being new toobig aircooled bikes that it would be frustrating if you didnt relize that your are expected to bypass the BS epa laws yourself asthe motor co cant do that. Its been this way since the oil companies andpolitians got together in bed and created epa. Thats just how it is ask anyone whos seen it evolve

Old 03-29-2008 | 11:49 AM
Todd T
Tourer

OKAY: His seat has a wrinkle in it, they replaced a defective cylinder base and his shifter leaks form what sounds like a forward controls install. asside from these three Major defects, he's "heard" of drivablility issues but hasnt experienced them personally and so far 71 of us have not admitted to having or knowing of them either.

Does that sum it up?

BTW: My 07 has 44XX miles and hasnt seen the inside of the dealer since it left there last may.

Old 03-29-2008 | 11:52 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: hdpearson13
I thinkmy harleys have been solid made bikes when other bikes seem to be made out ofcheap steel and plastics acomponied by to much soft white metal.

+1! Ever see a Honda VTX?? Every chrome piece on them, except for the handlebars, is plastic. Including the headlight bucket, air cleaner cover, etc. I'm sure some of the other Jap models are like that too.

Nothing beats the fit and finish of a Harley. Even Wing owners will tell you that.

Old 03-29-2008 | 12:04 PM
danmo
Outstanding HDF Member

I've had no problems with mine and I know 0 people that have had problems with Harleys. the only time mine has been in the shop was when I got hit by a car.
It sucks that you have had so many problems. I guess if I bought a new bike and the seat was ripped but I was replacing it anyways I wouldn't complain and try to get money for it or a new one. If there is something cosmetically damaged that you are going to replace anyways why waste the mocos money? That causes the prices to go up.
Just my .02 in a nicely mannered toned.

Old 03-29-2008 | 12:13 PM
ezriderpgh
|
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: redman53

No flame intended...but seriously you didn't do any research before you spent your money? You just ran down to the stealership and forked over you cash? Why? Must have been something that made you buy a HD. What I'm saying is...you had no clue about the supposed lack of quality from the MOCO before you bought one of their products?
Tell you what, I have been riding 30+ years and I am never without a bike. Everyone I talked to said things have improved so much with HD since my last new one '92 I wanted to try again. Mine has had issues, and the dealer has taken care of them. The post was about people with issues not holding moco responsible. I'm ok with problem with my bike as long as the dealer fixes them, and they have so far. As far as research before buying.....if I had looked on HDF before buying I would of NEVER bought another one, that's how disturbing all the complaints are that I see. READ THE THREADS -----TELL ME WHY PEOPLE DO NOT HOLD THE MOCO TO THE WARRANTY, that's all i'm saying.

Old 03-29-2008 | 02:27 PM
Brackneyc
Road Master

ORIGINAL: ezriderpgh

TELL ME WHY PEOPLE DO NOT HOLD THE MOCO TO THE WARRANTY, that's all i'm saying.

Can you illustrate where poeple have not held the MOCO accountable on defective items? I have seen a lot of folks replace items that were not to their liking, but not necessarily defective. I do know guys that would liked to have had the MOCO fix some little things, but in the interest of NOT having the bike sit for a few weeks, they do it themselves. I have no problem with that. I have yet to hear about a guy that had a seriously defective bike, and didn't go get it fixed. I don't read every thread as apparently some guys do. Can you give us a link or two to some threads where the MOCO was involved, and refused to help a guy out. I'm not doubting it happens, but I'd like to see one of these many threads where this was the case.

Old 03-29-2008 | 02:43 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Brackneyc

ORIGINAL: ezriderpgh

TELL ME WHY PEOPLE DO NOT HOLD THE MOCO TO THE WARRANTY, that's all i'm saying.

Can you illustrate where poeple have not held the MOCO accountable on defective items? I have seen a lot of folks replace items that were not to their liking, but not necessarily defective. I do know guys that would liked to have had the MOCO fix some little things, but in the interest of NOT having the bike sit for a few weeks, they do it themselves. I have no problem with that. I have yet to hear about a guy that had a seriously defective bike, and didn't go get it fixed. I don't read every thread as apparently some guys do. Can you give us a link or two to some threads where the MOCO was involved, and refused to help a guy out. I'm not doubting it happens, but I'd like to see one of these many threads where this was the case.

What I'm hearing is not that the MoCo isn't taking care of legitimate complaints, but that he seems perturbed that people have legitmate warranty issues and not taking them TO the MoCo...I haven't personally seen any threads of that nature, but I'd sure like to see some links if they're there....the way he's going on, there should be a ton of them...it's the nature of trolls to take a kernel of truth and exaggerate, tho....[sm=popcorn.gif]

Old 03-29-2008 | 03:52 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member

Porche had porus engine cases for the first three years when they changed to water cooled engines. The estimates go as high as 50% of the production for three years had the engines replaced. Those cars ranged from 40 to 100 grand. Didn't hurt their image or sales. They took care of the problem. Alluminum is difficut to cast and coming up with a porus case or cylinder is a fact of life.

I don't know of anyone that has had the 96 or 96 B engine head "glow" at highway speeds. The aluminum head would melt not glow. Nor have I heard of or seen HD exhaust "glow" at 50 mph. No HD shut of at 50 mph unless it just ran out of gas. The heat issue for the most part was more to the discomfort of the passenger due to the exhaust routing. The ecm does have a program to shut the rear cylinder down when the rear cylinder reaches a certain temp which is possible in slow extended riding in a parade.

I also have a great deal of difficulty believing that more than some rare duffuss would not take a warrenty problem to the dealer.

I also find it incredible that some one would go on for about seven or eight weeks now with this line of BS.

I spent some years as a forensic analyst and may conclusion is that the postings of ezriderpgh are that of someone 21 yoa or younger. If actually older, he has the maturity level of that age.

He has sent me two pm's that clearly demonstrate that he is a juvinile.

I posted that he makes no sense. This is why. When you profess that you love HD's and then make unfounded and wierd complaints about the company with no foundation in fact or merit. You must be bipolar, a schizo or a troll. I vote troll.

Old 03-29-2008 | 03:54 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member

I'd like to read the thread about the bike that shuts down while doing 50 mph. I've looked for it but can't find it using the search feature. Most of the guys that have had problems have stated that they've gone back to the dealer for fixes and though it may have taken longer than expected, or some other service personnel complaint, it appears the MOCO has been fixing warranty issues, as they should. I ride an 07 Heritage, my son rides an 07 Wide Glide and my brother-in-law rides an 07 Heritage. All three bikes have close to or over 10,000 miles on them and all three have had no warranty problems.

Old 03-29-2008 | 03:58 PM
nolafishr
Banned

I did read an article one time about a couple who bought a New Road King and had problems with it running hot, it was from the Ful Injection being too lean and not injecting the right amount of Fuel in the Cylinder causing it to run hot, they had to bring it to the dealer to have this taken care of, I read about this not long after the New 96" Engine came out. They also say to add a Fuel Pack/Processor to the Bike to improve this now from what I understand.

Quick Reply: I luv the bike but honestly......