General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I luv the bike but honestly......

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008 | 08:46 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Default RE: I luv the bike but honestly......

I actually understand your post, and frustrations. However, you have to look at the big picture, not just your issue. The MoCo produces hundreds of bikes a year. Maybe thousands. You can't expect them to re-invent the wheel if only a small percentage of owners are having specific problems. Even if they're all having the same problem. That's what warranties are for. Also, they can't control the quality of parts that are manufactured by other companies. They get the parts, put them on, and they either work, or they don't. Sometimes, defective parts sneak thru the QC portion and aren't discovered until they're out there on the streets and working a little. Kind of like hiring employees. They may talk a good game so they can get the job, but you really never know about them until you observe them actually work for a while.

And forums are the worst for this problem. Of all the members here, they represent a small percentage of all Harley owners. And of those member, you see a few posts with complaints. Usually, most owners don't post howtrouble free their bike is until they read a complaint post. Far more just keep quiet, period. So the complaints you are seeing, and experiencing, are minor and, few and far between. Harley-Davidson isn't going to revamp their entire manufacturing process for the unlucky few that happened to have a problem when in general, there is no problem. Use the warranty, or like others have said, move to greener pastures.They make millions of dollars a year. They can afford to have an occasional issue and fix it under warranty, when warranted. But also realize, there are probably more than just a few H-D owners out there that have no business having anything more technical than an Etch-A-Sketch. That's why H-D also is pretty snoopy about warranty claims.

To me, it sounds like you just plain don't like H-D. Well, tell you what, you're not ever going to be satisfied. I've been on Honda forums, Yamaha forums, Kawasaki forums, Chevrolet forums, and Dodge forums. What I'm seeing here is nothing new.

Old 03-29-2008 | 08:58 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member

This thread started out talking about a defective seat, which made me laugh. Withonly 3K miles, my Ultra Classic started leaking oil due to porus engine cases. My motor had to be removed, torn down and rebuilt with new cases engraved with the bike's VIN. Suffice to say, this will be my last Harley. A $20K motorcycle shouldn't have porus engine cases.

Old 03-29-2008 | 09:21 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Geoff

This thread started out talking about a defective seat, which made me laugh. Withonly 3K miles, my Ultra Classic started leaking oil due to porus engine cases. My motor had to be removed, torn down and rebuilt with new cases engraved with the bike's VIN. Suffice to say, this will be my last Harley. A $20K motorcycle shouldn't have porus engine cases.
If you think that doesn't happen elsewhere, you're misinformed. It's the luck of the draw.

Old 03-29-2008 | 09:50 AM
Phil K
Road Captain

Go to any other bike forum and you will see the same thing....anything mechanical is subject to problems...and the other makes have their share as well as h.d.

Old 03-29-2008 | 09:51 AM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: DannyZ71

ORIGINAL: Geoff

If you think that doesn't happen elsewhere, you're misinformed. It's the luck of the draw.

And H-D took care of it under warranty...check the thread...

Old 03-29-2008 | 10:00 AM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: ezriderpgh

ORIGINAL: golfblues

I just don't get it. If you have a warranty problem bring in in for service. What kind of car do you drive? Has it had any warranty problems? Did you bring it back to the dealer? What's the difference between HD dealerships & a Chevy? Toyota? Ford? Honda? Dealership. Cars have recalls all the time but a bike is supposed to be immune to problems? My 06 has been wonderful & I choose to do many mods cause it's a great bike. If it were a lemon I wouldn't do the mods. Lemons exist from all manufacturers, it's a fact of life.
My main point of the post was not to rag on HD per say, but to question why people that have issues do not admit to them and do not force the moco to take care of them. I have had problems and I took them to the dealer and got them taken care of, no problem. If my bike was running so hot that the heads would glow or the bike would shut off while going down the highway I wouldn't be looking for answers on HDF, i'd be at the dealer and they would be taking care of it or HD would be buying it back. If everyone that had a problem under warranty would take it to the dealer things would improve (or should I say continue to improve) and we would all be better off for it. And for the record, the headlight I ordered today brings my mods total to $2800, and i'm not done.

Oh I get it the majority of new HD bikes ownersare afraid to bring their bike to a dealer if something is wrong with it. I wonder what they do when their new Ford or Toyota needs warranty work? I guess since they own a Harley they are to scared or stupid too get the dealer to fix it so they just keep riding or driving it until it implodes.

Really, this thread is just stupid.

Old 03-29-2008 | 10:31 AM
Ace07FXDL
Road Captain

I've got 2 HD's. My 2007 Lowrider has had zero problems from day 1. Just runs great. Not one issue at all. I only have 3,000 miles on it but they have been flawless trouble free miles. My 2008 Road King only has 100 miles on it. No problems there either yet.

Old 03-29-2008 | 10:39 AM
JeepMaker
Outstanding HDF Member

Overall I'm very happy with my 07 Ultra Classic.

However I DO think it's BS that I should have to spend more $$ to make the thing run cooler. Also I think that for over 22 grand the damn seat could be leather instead of vinyl.

Old 03-29-2008 | 10:42 AM
gjb1952
Road Captain

I have a 1994 heritage and it has few problems. I try and be proactive with it and stay one step ahead of the problem by keeping up with all maintenence required before something does go wrong. Now one thing I do not do and will never do again is let a dealer touch my bike in any type of repair/maintenence scenerio. Best advice I can give is find yourself the person in your area the has the best reputation for Harley repair and make him your best friend. Your life with harley will become much easier. And before I get the nasty responses about doing my own repair. I do some not all. Two is always better then one. No issues asking for help.
[hr]

Old 03-29-2008 | 10:53 AM
redman53
Elite HDF Member

No flame intended...but seriously you didn't do any research before you spent your money? You just ran down to the stealership and forked over you cash? Why? Must have been something that made you buy a HD. What I'm saying is...you had no clue about the supposed lack of quality from the MOCO before you bought one of their products?

Quick Reply: I luv the bike but honestly......