General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I luv the bike but honestly......

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008 | 11:39 PM
Brackneyc
Road Master
Default RE: I luv the bike but honestly......

ORIGINAL: ezriderpgh

Below I have cut and pasted my response to a thread in a different section about a defective seat. I luv my bike but honestly the quality so far is lacking and I expected better. I am looking for some honest responses but if you stoop to name calling or try to rip me a new one be ready for a hit back or keep the childish crap to yourself.

I know I am going to get flamed on for this one....nothing new for me tho so here goes.......reading the responses in this post proved to me why HD quality pretty much sucks. People have new bikes and when there are problems like defective seats (just happens to be this thread) they say it doesn't bother them cause they wanted a different seat anyway, or didn't bother to complain because the replacement seat would do the same thing anyway. Overheating and people spend a small fortune to make it run cooler, performance issues and more spent to get it to run right. The more the moco is permitted to slide by with **** poor quality the less improvement they will provide.I just don't get it myself. When I bought HD this time around ('08 super glide custom)I expected quality, something I did not get with the 3 previous HD's I bought (last new one was '92), but I was promised by everyone from the dealers to the avg. joe that quality is no longer an issue. My bike hasbeen in the shop for warranty repairs twice in 800 miles, and I find that unexceptable.Seems to me it is a huge issue still but for some reason the owners are either ashamed to admit it or so beat down by it they just don't care anymore, or, they have never owned any other brand and have no idea whatthe quality comparison is.Shame shame.

My Harley's fit and finish is way better than the Suzuki Boulevard I traded in for it, by any objective measure you would like to go by. I logged 6000 miles on mine last summer, and it never hiccupped, over heated or otherwise failed to perform exactly as it was supposed to. I have about 15 guys I ride with, and none of their bikes broke down last year either, and some are older, including one 1976 Sportster with over 130,000 miles on it.

I'll grant you there are a lot of whiners on HDF, but overall, we (as Harley owners on HDF) make up but a tiny fraction of the HD owners in this world.

I can see why "you'd" be pissed, but don't assume that those of us that are happy have decided to "settle." You don't know us, and sure the hell don't know how or why we feel the way we do. I love my bike, and I'd guess my standards are no different than yours when it comes to expectations of the thingswe buy.

Old 03-28-2008 | 11:43 PM
BadBoyFLSTC
Banned

As I found I could not respond to your post without being a smartass, I choose not to respond to your post.

Old 03-28-2008 | 11:45 PM
edtexas
Cruiser

You made a great point in your post. The biggest complaint listed on this site after product performance is dealer performance. A lot of Harley dealers started as small bike repair shops that enjoyed the phenomenal rise of Harley over the last two decades. With all the modernity
of new stores, many are managed by neanderthals. This mentality leaks down to their staff, be it in sales or service. You're lucky that you do have a good dealer. You have to remember that
even auto companies have major recalls every now and then. Harley has had it way too easy in the R&D department. They re-use so many parts year after year and many models share similar
parts. They make tremendous amounts of added money with upgraded parts in their catalogs.
That is why they keep the same seat on a bike for ten years. They know that will buy a better
one from themthat much sooner. The worst thing about Harley is that when a serious problem develops in some new technology they are slow and almost reluctant to fix it, let alone call for a recall. You'll find that the 07's are having issues with heat, and the 05's with transmissions.
Dealers are refusing to admit that these are common problems.

When the twin cams first came out, thousands of bikes experienced failure in the cam gear
bearings. For a year they denied the problem. After more failures, they agreed to fix it if it broke and only if it broke. This was an expensive fix. They never did a formal recall which in the
car industry would have been a must. Imagine traveling at seventy miles an hour with a passenger and having your cams blow and freeze your engine. I had my bearings replaced at my own cost at a non-Harley shop, as did thousands of others.

One of the first lessons you will also learn on this site is to find an experienced independent shop that specializes in Harleys. They are usually staffed by experienced Harley mechanics that were
treated like Neanderthals by their management. Good luck.

Old 03-28-2008 | 11:45 PM
ezriderpgh
|
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: *NIGHT TRAIN*

"Seems to me it is a huge issue still but for some reason the owners are either ashamed to admit it or so beat down by it they just don't care anymore, or, they have never owned any other brand and have no idea whatthe quality comparison is.Shame shame."

I was ok with your post till you started wagging your finger and speaking to everyone as if we were mentally deficient and can't judge quality without your omnipotent assistance.
Seems to me I've read all this crap before on different threads...SOS, different day...maybe you should buy one of those other brands who's quality you admire and kwitcherbitchin...it'd make all of our liveseasier...
Soory if it offends but I call it like I see it. Read the threads, complaint after complaint after complaint and few willing to confront the moco. Why is that? has to be one of the reasons I mentioned.

You've misunderstood me, which doesn't surprise me...I'm not offended...I'm just amused by your lack of understanding why most people aren't jumping on your bandwagon, which is that for the most part, it has no merit...the number of complaints, compared with the satisfied membership here alone shows that...and the whine goes on...[sm=laughingsmilie.gif]
And you misunderstood the meaning of the post to begin with. plenty of people have complaints that should be handled by the dealer, and would be handled by the dealer if they would take them in, but they would rather ask on HDF and try to take care of it themselves. If the moco isn't held responsible things will not improve. And anyone that reads these threads for a few days and doesn't think there is a problem has their head in the sand.

Old 03-28-2008 | 11:48 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member

"Seems to me it is a huge issue still but for some reason the owners are either ashamed to admit it or so beat down by it they just don't care anymore, or, they have never owned any other brand and have no idea whatthe quality comparison is.Shame shame."

I was ok with your post till you started wagging your finger and speaking to everyone as if we were mentally deficient and can't judge quality without your omnipotent assistance.
Seems to me I've read all this crap before on different threads...SOS, different day...maybe you should buy one of those other brands who's quality you admire and kwitcherbitchin...it'd make all of our liveseasier...
Soory if it offends but I call it like I see it. Read the threads, complaint after complaint after complaint and few willing to confront the moco. Why is that? has to be one of the reasons I mentioned.

You've misunderstood me, which doesn't surprise me...I'm not offended...I'm just amused by your lack of understanding why most people aren't jumping on your bandwagon, which is that for the most part, it has no merit...the number of complaints, compared with the satisfied membership here alone shows that...and the whine goes on...[sm=laughingsmilie.gif]
And you misunderstood the meaning of the post to begin with. plenty of people have complaints that should be handled by the dealer, and would be handled by the dealer if they would take them in, but they would rather ask on HDF and try to take care of it themselves. If the moco isn't held responsible things will not improve. And anyone that reads these threads for a few days and doesn't think there is a problem has their head in the sand.

And it's become glaringly obvious where your head is inserted.

Let me make this easy for you....

........[sm=deadhorse.gif]

Old 03-28-2008 | 11:58 PM
jammerx
Stellar HDF Member

Yeah what he said!!! LOL! You gotta laugh though, you make it sould like we ain't gotta clue, but according to your post:

"When I bought HD this time around ('08 super glide custom)I expected quality, something I did not get with the 3 previous HD's I bought (last new one was '92)"

You have gotten BURNED 4 TIMES. Get out while ya can man... Savewhat little dignity you have left...

LOL!!!

Old 03-29-2008 | 12:08 AM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member

I have believed from his first post that ezriderphg is a troll. He was a troll yesterday, he is a troll today and he will be a troll tomorrow. What he says does not make sense. Judge Judy says when it doesn't make sense it isn't true.

[IMG]local://upfiles/49894/F2C22A0D07DA4B61B2CF38F5FD02BEA4.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-29-2008 | 12:08 AM
DeckerDude
Road Master

Well I hear ya' man...I had an '06 Glide Classic that the motor went out of after 5K...Cracked case, flawed right from the factory...I have a good dealer and together we sorted out the problem with MoCo andI ended up withan '07...holy crap did it run hot !!! But after the addition of an oil cooler and T-Max she runs down the highway at 80mph all day long...Perfect.

Was I disapointed, for sure would I ride anything but a Harley...Never !! That's just the way it is.

Old 03-29-2008 | 12:14 AM
ezriderpgh
|
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: lh4x4

I have believed from his first post that ezriderphg is a troll. He was a troll yesterday, he is a troll today and he will be a troll tomorrow. What he says does not make sense. Judge Judy says when it doesn't make sense it isn't true.

[IMG]local://upfiles/49894/F2C22A0D07DA4B61B2CF38F5FD02BEA4.jpg[/IMG]
[sm=alcoholic.gif]maybe you need another drink? Makes sense to everyone but you, hmmm.

Old 03-29-2008 | 12:24 AM
Seminolebagger
Cruiser

EPA is not the problem.
I would disagree. The Moco has to meet emissions standards set by the epa. Air/fuel ratio is what dictates the exhaust emissions. To meet the standard, the A/F ratio must be extremely lean. Lean conditions cause engines to run very hot. If the Moco does not meet the standards set by the EPA, they can't sell their product.

I have a 2001 Ultra Classic. When I bought it in 2004, it was completely stock. I thought it was going to set my leg on fire, so for all you guys buying 07's and 08's and think this is new, guess again. The remedy was very simple. I put the SE air cleaner, some Kerkers, and a SE race fueler on it and BAM...... no more fried thighs. Yes, it cost a little extra to correct the BIG BROTHER, EPA induced problem, but so what, My bike runs good and I am happy. And I don't blame the Moco for the problem. I have been riding for 21 years, had a 77 AMF Sporty, 88 sporty, 95 Road King and now the Ultra. THe RK is the only one I bought new, but none of them were ever in the shop for repair or warranty, only maintenance.

Sorry you had problems with yours, but I think it is the exception, not the rule.

SB

Quick Reply: I luv the bike but honestly......