General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I luv the bike but honestly......

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008 | 09:31 PM
Gadgetech
Club Member
Default RE: I luv the bike but honestly......

ORIGINAL: Broken Leg Rider

Was a time when we EXPECTED engine leaks on our Harley. Those days are gone at least.
I heard the saying went something like "if it wasn't leaking oil, it didn't have any."

Old 03-28-2008 | 09:32 PM
ezriderpgh
|
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: akenaten

I'm really surprised that no one has screamed "why don't you just sell your Harley and buy a Gold Wing"!
[sm=lol.gif]heard that a few times before! And to the ones telling me to sell it or get an import, you missed the point entirely. Read the threads...most are about mods...what is the number 2 most common threads? Problems that's what. Problems that are moco's problem and they should be held accountable. I will not sell it for 3 reasons.....i really do luv the bike and i'm hoping it will be clear sailing from here on out, the 25% loss out the door and the fact that if I have anymore warranty issues I will make sure the dealer takes care of them, as they should and I am sure they will. Like I have been trying to communicate, people need to speak up and not settle. To those that are happy with no issues congrats, I wish it was that way for all of us.

Old 03-28-2008 | 09:37 PM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: ezriderpgh

ORIGINAL: BoneCrusher

Where you getting your bike serviced at man? Could you elaborate on what the warranty issues were that caused you to take it in? Where's you buy it from?
First, I have no problem with my dealer, they have taken good care of me. The first warranty job was a pourous cylinder case, was leaking oil and had to be replaced at 724 miles. Second trip was a leak, trany fluid coming out of the original shifter hole in the primary, easy fix. I have several spots of corrosion already, paint is so thin it is almost see thru and several smaller complaints I have yet to deal with.

the point of my post is if you have a bike that is under warranty and something comes up that is a warranty issue, or even in question, make them fix it! Do not settle or except it. The moco has expected warranty issues figured into the price of the bike, that's why they are high to begin with......use the warranty.
That makes sense.

Seems you have had a few issues and I can understand your frustration. But an awfully lot of owners have had very good ownership experiences. I have never heard of the overheating and shutting down at 50mph thing. I have seen on other forums, metric bikes with desintigrated drive shafts to name just one potential disaster. If something is covered by warranty, you bet your *** I would have HD fixing it no matter how small.

Old 03-28-2008 | 09:39 PM
Kolni
Banned

No quality issues on my last two bikes.

I really have no ideea what you guys are experiencing.

Old 03-28-2008 | 09:46 PM
BoneCrusher
Road Master

Man those are some serious issues and I would be pissed as all hell too. I think your intention of this post was a very good one. Make them fix problems under warranty. Even if they seem small and as much of a pain in the *** as it can be to take it in for service that is the right thing to do, plus it's documented with the moco that way. Like everyone said every vehicle has lemon's, sorry your having so many problems.

Old 03-28-2008 | 09:51 PM
Bowtieman31
Road Master

Wow, sorry to hear that you've had a tough time with your bike. I am, however, happy to hear that your dealer has treated you right. There are many in this forum that have had baddealer experiences as well asbike problems. I have also owned several bikes in the past years, most recently, three Hondas and three HD'S. Two of the Honda's were pure junk, they had many problems that the dealer refused to deal with. These ranged from,bike popping out of first gear as you took off from a stop light, (safety?), to excessive oil consumption. All three of the HD's have been absolutely trouble free. The fit and finish were/are great and the paint flawless. I have close to 60K miles on my '03 Heritage and I would ride it anywhere, anytime. My '07 Heritage is still young at 20K miles and it's probably the nicest running HD I've owned.

Old 03-28-2008 | 09:53 PM
bore
Advanced

ORIGINAL: Dynamite

ORIGINAL: Broken Leg Rider

Was a time when we EXPECTED engine leaks on our Harley. Those days are gone at least.
I heard the saying went something like "if it wasn't leaking oil, it didn't have any."
Real Harleys leak. Not sure about tin cans and evos

Old 03-28-2008 | 09:54 PM
Rolling Thunder
Advanced

Sorry to hear that you have had problems-i have been lucky I guess. 34k miles on my FLSTC and no warranty work or repairs needed so far-other than oil, brakes and tires.

Old 03-28-2008 | 10:03 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member

I have had ZERO problems with my 2005 SE Fat Boy.
Tom

Old 03-28-2008 | 10:21 PM
SgtThump
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: bore

Real Harleys leak. Not sure about tin cans and evos
Hey, no fair! I have an Evo that leaks. I wanna be in the cool club too!

Quick Reply: I luv the bike but honestly......