General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I luv the bike but honestly......

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008 | 07:52 PM
Beercan321
Tourer
Default RE: I luv the bike but honestly......

Regardless of the product, any item is only as good as the worst person making it. Harley has very good quality control but there still will be problems on occasion. It doesn’t matter if you buy a bike, a car, electronics or any other big-ticket item, there unfortunately will be lemons. I recently bought a new $35K truck. It has 1200 miles and it’s been back to the dealer a couple of times for problems. Needless to say, I’m not happy about it. For all I know some hung-over, pissed-off apathetic guy was working the line the day my truck was built and he didn’t give a sh*t if there were problems with it or not. Most products made by reputable companies are very good. Unfortunately most manufacturers don’t proactively fix certain problems unless it directly affects their bottom line. If you get a lemon then fully utilize the warranty. If the problems don’t get resolved then get rid of it.

Old 03-29-2008 | 08:14 PM
ezriderpgh
|
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Beercan321

Regardless of the product, any item is only as good as the worst person making it. Harley has very good quality control but there still will be problems on occasion. It doesn’t matter if you buy a bike, a car, electronics or any other big-ticket item, there unfortunately will be lemons. I recently bought a new $35K truck. It has 1200 miles and it’s been back to the dealer a couple of times for problems. Needless to say, I’m not happy about it. For all I know some hung-over, pissed-off apathetic guy was working the line the day my truck was built and he didn’t give a sh*t if there were problems with it or not. Most products made by reputable companies are very good. Unfortunately most manufacturers don’t proactively fix certain problems unless it directly affects their bottom line. If you get a lemon then fully utilize the warranty. If the problems don’t get resolved then get rid of it.
I give up totally! The more I explain what the post was about to begin with the more people do not get it. JFC it's in plain english! IT IS NOT ABOUT THE PROBLEMS, IT'S ABOUT THE PEOPLE THAT LET MOCO SLIDE ON WARRANTY ISSUES AND THINGS CALLED "NORMAL" THAT ARE NOT NORMAL FOR A NEW RIDE,NO MATTER WHAT ANYONE SAYS. Now I see you took your truck for repair, as you should....so tell me why HD owners alot of the time don't do the same? Why is moco allowed to skate so often? There is warranty and implied warranty but people just letit go and say the heck with it, over and over. Now whoever doesn't understand this yet all I can say is keep your helmet on in the house.

Old 03-29-2008 | 08:18 PM
Brackneyc
Road Master

ORIGINAL: ezriderpgh

ORIGINAL: *NIGHT TRAIN*

THAT'S what you're going on about?...couple of minor problems taken care of, couple of normal heat problems caused by stock lean fuel mix, and a guy who lives by the ocean and doesn't keep his bike clean? And most of those posts are only a couple of days old...all the archives here and that's your case? Nothing in there about anyone having a legitimate problem and afraid to hold the MoCo's feet to the fire, and making excuses.

My suggestion to you is to get a metric and get a life...I think your cover here as a troll is blown....[sm=deadhorse.gif]
Hmm no fool, I said those were a few.It is not about the problems, it's about how they are handled.There are plenty more like that in different sections, not just the 2 sections I took them from and not from just the past week either dumby. Amazing how many people can read something and not comprehend what it is they just read. I guess that's why SSI is so popular. Amazing, name calling doesn't make me feel big and tough, different effect on some others I see.
Well, I read the first three of you examples, and decided to read no further. In the first two, the dealers apparently were never even involved, which appeared to me to be the owners choice. The third one had a bunch of guys that had their seats replaced under warranty, with seemingly no issues. Jus tin the first three examples, can you pleas explain to me (other than the fact that the problems came up) how there were handled incorrectly. It seemed to me they weren't really handled at all, by anyone.

You did recommend that the one guy take his back if it did it three times in a row, under the lemon law. You know that it isn't as easy as just asking for your money back, and if I'm not mistaken, the lemon lawsvary (I am correctable on this one)from state to state. At any rate, I was expecting to see a bunch of post showing how the MOCO refused to fix the bike problems in one way or the other. Now, in farness to you, I did not read them all, but I sure expected that you'd bring out your big guns first.

I'm no HD god, or apologist,and I have never blindly skipped over mechanical posts so I could avoid them. I just haven't seen the number of horror stories that I expected to see. Maybe I just have my head in the sand.Sorry for all of youguys that got screwed by HD.

Old 03-29-2008 | 08:34 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Brackneyc

and if I'm not mistaken, the lemon lawsvary (I am correctable on this one)from state to state.

You are 100% correct. And in some States, there is NO lemon law. Like in Oklahoma. You have to abide by whatever results comeout of an arbitration. Sucks big-time. But then again, I've never had any vehicle that didn't have problems fixed immediately when discovered and taken in to the dealer.

I stand by my earlier post (I even forgot what page it was on). Problems are small, and infrequent. H-D isn't going to re-manufacture a product that has no problems 90% of the time. As far as seats, and other items that owners tend to switch out, well that's going to always be. Can't please everyone, and in most cases, can't please most of them either.

Old 03-29-2008 | 08:48 PM
ezriderpgh
|
Outstanding HDF Member

THAT'S what you're going on about?...couple of minor problems taken care of, couple of normal heat problems caused by stock lean fuel mix, and a guy who lives by the ocean and doesn't keep his bike clean? And most of those posts are only a couple of days old...all the archives here and that's your case? Nothing in there about anyone having a legitimate problem and afraid to hold the MoCo's feet to the fire, and making excuses.

My suggestion to you is to get a metric and get a life...I think your cover here as a troll is blown....[sm=deadhorse.gif]
Hmm no fool, I said those were a few.It is not about the problems, it's about how they are handled.There are plenty more like that in different sections, not just the 2 sections I took them from and not from just the past week either dumby. Amazing how many people can read something and not comprehend what it is they just read. I guess that's why SSI is so popular. Amazing, name calling doesn't make me feel big and tough, different effect on some others I see.
Well, I read the first three of you examples, and decided to read no further. In the first two, the dealers apparently were never even involved, which appeared to me to be the owners choice. The third one had a bunch of guys that had their seats replaced under warranty, with seemingly no issues. Jus tin the first three examples, can you pleas explain to me (other than the fact that the problems came up) how there were handled incorrectly. It seemed to me they weren't really handled at all, by anyone.

You did recommend that the one guy take his back if it did it three times in a row, under the lemon law. You know that it isn't as easy as just asking for your money back, and if I'm not mistaken, the lemon lawsvary (I am correctable on this one)from state to state. At any rate, I was expecting to see a bunch of post showing how the MOCO refused to fix the bike problems in one way or the other. Now, in farness to you, I did not read them all, but I sure expected that you'd bring out your big guns first.

I'm no HD god, or apologist,and I have never blindly skipped over mechanical posts so I could avoid them. I just haven't seen the number of horror stories that I expected to see. Maybe I just have my head in the sand.Sorry for all of youguys that got screwed by HD.
Another one missed the point, I think. But I did like he said if it's warranty USE it.It's not about HD screwing anyone.

Old 03-29-2008 | 09:06 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member

[quote]ORIGINAL: ezriderpgh

Another one missed the point. It's not about HD screwing anyone. I can't read it for you guys so I guess the point is

Old 03-29-2008 | 09:18 PM
ezriderpgh
|
Outstanding HDF Member

[quote]ORIGINAL: *NIGHT TRAIN*

Another one missed the point. It's not about HD screwing anyone. I can't read it

Old 03-29-2008 | 09:20 PM
ezriderpgh
|
Outstanding HDF Member

[sm=closed.gif]

Old 03-29-2008 | 09:21 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member

Thank you!

Old 03-29-2008 | 09:39 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member

[quote]ORIGINAL: *NIGHT TRAIN*

Another one missed the point. It's not about HD

Quick Reply: I luv the bike but honestly......