General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Video Camcorder & Editing Software

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 05:25 PM
gadgetman
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Video Camcorder & Editing Software

Hi All,

I'd like to setup a video camcorder to record my trips. I paid a visit to my local Best Buy and saw the Panasonic PV-G5250 with optical stabilization and 3CCD. It's looks like a nice video camcorder but pricey. It uses a video tape and not a DV or DVD. I think thats a plus to use a video tape because the viberations on the bike will probably destroy the DV or skip recordings on the DVD.

As far as editing software out there, I saw the Pinical software and Adobe Premiere. Which ones is better to get?

Thanks,
Gadgetman (Darren)

Old 02-06-2006, 07:04 PM
vulhalla
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Video Camcorder & Editing Software

I would like to know as well.
And will a dvd recorder really bounce around and skip other then the vhs recorder. I'd really like to get the dvd one but not if its going to do that.

Old 02-06-2006, 07:15 PM
SKJOLD
Elite HDF Member

Adobe is better in my opionion but is more expensive. Are you just making home movies Pinnicle is fine and probably more user friendly for the novice editor. I do professional video work and use Adobe Permier Pro. The program is very expensive and you need a powerful PC to run it smoothly. The minimum requirements listed on the box just don't cut it in the real world. As far as the camera, I own a similar Panasonic model which I use in place of my more expensive cameras for riskier shoots and take decent video although not quite broadcast quality despite having 3ccds. Optical stabilization is good. Never buy a camera that uses digital stabilization as it sacrifices video resolution to maintain a steady picture. The Panasonic you are looking at is more then enough for home video and DVD's and a bit overkill for internet video. If you want something primarily for internet video steams of your riding experiences, I would get the cheapest camera I could find as the vibrations will eventually wear out any camera.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-06-2006, 07:22 PM
Redhawk
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's what I just purchased for recording our rides.

http://www.samsung.com/Products/Camc...ge=Accessories

I haven't used it on the bike yet, but have done some things around the house & it works great. All the editing software comes with it. I also would suggets getting the 1.0 GB Memory Stick Pro & an extended life battery.

Old 02-06-2006, 07:54 PM
sfarson
Road Master

gadjetman, Note my PM reply.

Also, while scanning the message above, do not use Optical Image Stabilization (OIS) equipped cameras on a motorcycle. While it is a great technology, and I enjoy my 3CCD camcorder, I learned the hard way... it cannot handle the high frequency vibrations of a motorcycle. Too sophisticated. The recording is "fuzzy". After damping experiments and web research, I found it is the OIS technology causing the problem. Mounting companies note at their web sites to not use OIS camcorders. DIS (Digital) works fine for a ride recording.

Here is a DIS cam on a bike... note how the instrumentation moves, but the road and horizon is kept steady... http://www.farson.com/video/svictorcripple.wmv (Should see how sweet this recording is when the resolution and bit rate aren't reduced for the web).

Old 02-06-2006, 07:59 PM
Redhawk
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sfarson, What about Electronic Image Stabilization (EIS), which the camera I purchased uses? Reason I ask, I have 14 days to return it.

Old 02-06-2006, 09:18 PM
SKJOLD
Elite HDF Member

My bad, that is correct, I was not considering about the motorcycle use when I recommended optical. What exactly do you plan to do with your camera?

ORIGINAL: sfarson

gadjetman, Note my PM reply.

Also, while scanning the message above, do not use Optical Image Stabilization (OIS) equipped cameras on a motorcycle. While it is a great technology, and I enjoy my 3CCD camcorder, I learned the hard way... it cannot handle the high frequency vibrations of a motorcycle. Too sophisticated. The recording is "fuzzy". After damping experiments and web research, I found it is the OIS technology causing the problem. Mounting companies note at their web sites to not use OIS camcorders. DIS (Digital) works fine for a ride recording.

Here is a DIS cam on a bike... note how the instrumentation moves, but the road and horizon is kept steady... http://www.farson.com/video/svictorcripple.wmv (Should see how sweet this recording is when the resolution and bit rate aren't reduced for the web).

Old 02-06-2006, 10:00 PM
gadgetman
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the information guyz.

Steve, I got your PM. I'll do a little more research.

SKJold, I plan to use the camcorder to video tape motorcycle rides that I do in Upstate NY and post them in this forum.

Old 02-06-2006, 10:11 PM
sfarson
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Redhawk

sfarson, What about Electronic Image Stabilization (EIS), which the camera I purchased uses? Reason I ask, I have 14 days to return it.
Redhawk... EIS is fine. Just avoid OIS. I know the Samsung SCX-105L well. Can compare notes if interested. Use it on dual sport rides when roads are kinda rough. I velcro the bulletcam to the side of the helmet and tuck the camcorder into a pocket. The Samsung has its opportunity areas but its small and unique form factor are big plusses. Can provide links to a couple of 105L videos if interested.

SKJOLD... Would mention I'm getting closer to minimizing if not removing the vibrations causing OIS to be a negative factor. Once while recording a ride someone noted the camcorder and mount on the bike and I happened to mention how I'd just purchased an unusable OIS camera for ride recording. This guy happened to be in the motion picture industry and his work was mounting cameras to cars recording chase scenes and moving vehicles. He noted the way they dampen vehicle vibration is mounting a camera with a mouse pad between the mount and vehicle. I tried this with a skinny and old mouse pad about a month ago and it appeared to work accept under heavy acceleration. My next test is to try a thicker mouse pad. This might be solution. I've tried tank bags, furniture bumpers, rubber coasters, etc... but the mouse pad idea has merit. FWIW.

Old 02-07-2006, 12:21 AM
SKJOLD
Elite HDF Member

I am thinking about videotaping our HDForum ride to BikeWeek carrying the Mascot. I would like to know how I post my finished video on the forum. I am not quite up to speed on internet video posting.

Quick Reply: Video Camcorder & Editing Software