Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD on Helmets

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 07:59 AM
3power
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default HD on Helmets

With all the helmet threads going on today, I thought it was interesting that I came across this tidbit on the Harley site. They won't let you rent a Harley unless you sign an agreement to wear a legal helmet. I am surprised it is mandatory even in states that do not require it by law.

Helmet requirements while riding a Harley-Davidson Authorized Rentals motorcycle.

[hr]

Our primary concern is your safety. Protection on the road is a good thing and it is a good idea for motorcyclists to ride responsibly. You and any passengers must sign an agreement that states you will wear a country-approved helmet at all times while on the bike for the duration of the rental, even if you’re traveling in a state without mandatory helmet laws. If you don’t have your own country-approved helmet, don’t worry - these can be provided at the time of rental. Be aware that beanie and novelty shells are not approved and do not qualify as proper head protection.
You may use your personal helmet, but only if it is approved for the country where you’ll be riding. If you don't have your own approved helmet, one will be offered to you at the time of rental.

While on a H.O.G.®Fly & Ride rental motorcycle do I have to wear a helmet in a state that helmets are not required by law?

[hr]

You must wear a helmet that meets Department of Transportation standards at all times, even if traveling in a no-helmet law state.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:15 AM
AF07
Cruiser
Default RE: HD on Helmets

No real surprise. This has to do with potential liability if there werea lawsuit...much morethan safety...

Old 03-28-2008, 08:20 AM
Heartshot
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea...Yea ..I know ..I need to wear my helmet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-28-2008, 08:32 AM
dataman2
Advanced

I rented on Kauai last Dec. and they did not require a helmet since state law did not. (They do require a helmet for young riders - I have forgotten what the precise regs. are) I was surprised since I had read the HD policy.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:33 AM
Jetpat
Banned

Or after you've pulled out of the lot and stop by someplace for a coffee...take it off and strap it to the seat strap of sissy bar. When you stop to fill up the tank before returning said bike...simply don the helmet once again. Endo storyo.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:41 AM
3power
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: AF07

No real surprise. This has to do with potential liability if there werea lawsuit...much morethan safety...
What liability issue would there be in a state that doesn't have a helmet law?

Old 03-28-2008, 08:44 AM
Jetpat
Banned

ORIGINAL: 3power
What liability issue would there be in a state that doesn't have a helmet law?
Well...there'sa midget sueing a McDonald's in the Carolina's (I think thats the area) 'cuz when he walked in the young girl at the counter ran and screamed. The liability against frivilous lawsuits is it, I'd think. Kind of like how people sue Cessna when someone wrecks a pefectly good airplane.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:01 AM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member

trust me it's just cover there butt's. and for the one's that would take it off and strap it on the bike . it would still cover there butt.you can take it to the bank before they came up with renting bikes it went thru a hundred lawyers.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:12 AM
fordpartsguy
Road Warrior

[censored] lawyers....[sm=headbang.gif]

Old 03-28-2008, 09:33 AM
Royce
Stellar HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't know, but it sounds reasonable to me. H-D's just trying to protect its butt because some bozo will screw up, get hurt and try to sue H-D whether it's his fault or not.And of course there's always some lawyer who'll take the case and some flacid judge who'll agree to hear it.

Quick Reply: HD on Helmets