General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Summer travel plan

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 12:20 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Summer travel plan

ORIGINAL: TequilaJohn

I guess it all depends on what ya like...but if yer lookin for scenic, then here's my 2 cents.

Head across US-2 (The Great Northern) and drop down thru Montana...I recommend Red Lodge as a nice town to spend the night (just southwest of Billings)...try Bogarts for dinner...excellent margaritas there. Then ya can take US-212 over Beartooth Pass...an outstandin ride you don't wanna miss...been labeled the most scenic road in America...and down into Yellowstone and the Tetons. Just a note here...if ya wanna stay in Yellowstone overnight, book NOW. We're headin out there in July...booked our room a couple months ago, and pickins for reasonable rooms were slim then. Go on down to the northeast corner of Utah...thru Flaming Gorge and on to Moab where ya can hit Arches National Park and Canyonlands. From Moab, I'd jump over to Grand Junction, CO and take the "Million Dollar Highway" (US-50/550) down to Durango, CO (another nice spot for an overnighter). US-550 outta Durango will take ya to Albuquerque.

For the route home...head back up thru CO and hit southwest SD for the sights there...Rushmore, Custer, Needles Hwy, Spearfish Canyon, Badlands...highly recommend an EARLY mornin ride thru the Badlands. And there's always the Sturgis Rally if yer hittin it that time of year. Or, if ya wanna see hundreds of miles of nothingness, ya could head across OK or KS before turnin north again. hehe

As for cautions...iceman mentioned one of 'em...winds...but they ain't just in Wyoming. Hail storms aren't uncommon out there either. I live in East TN where fuel is not a prob...but there are areas out there where I wouldn't pass up many fuel stop opportunities.
If'n you got the time, don't believe you'll do much better than this. That's a helluva nice ride, John.
Your "Badlands" tip made me laff. Those of us that grew up out there, will ONLY go there in the morning. Sort of like riding to Sturgis. We'll hang out in Pierre, and then head out about 9:00 at night if it is hitting 100+ in the daytime. I killed too many brain cells already, can't afford to "cook" the 2 or 3 I have left. Just know where your gas stops are at.

JC, not sure when you are heading out, but the "Beartooth Rally" is the middle of July.
http://www.beartoothrally.com/

Old 03-28-2008, 01:05 PM
TequilaJohn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah Gump...we had some cabins at the Badlands KOA just outside Interior. Actually got up before daybreak...rode into the Badlands to an easterly facin pullout...and watched the sunrise...twas a religous experience.

Old 03-28-2008, 03:27 PM
TheBlackBastard
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Utah has some amazing riding. I've been all over the state on a motorcycle a few times and seriously, you really can't take a bad route (except for I-15, I-80 & I-70). I know you can't go everywhere, but do not miss these three roads if at all possible:

(1) The Mirror Lake Highway = UT-150. Begin (or end) in Evanston, WY and take 150 through the Uinta Mountains, which has some of Utah's highest peaks and most beautiful alpine lakes. There's really good fishing, too! You'll end up in Kamas, UT, about 20 miles from Park City and 40 from Salt Lake City. About 80 miles one-way.

(2) UT-12. Start in Torrey (gateway to Capitol Reef N.P.) and head south. In about 20 miles, you'll be on the craziest razorback-ridge road ever...2 lanes, no guardrails, barely an emergency lane and anywhere from 50 to 300 foot drops on each side. A 360 degree view for miles. Utah's canyon country at it's best. You'll ride through Escalante. Stop at Calf Creek and swim under the waterfall. 40 miles down the road is Bryce Canyon N.P. Stay at Ruby's Inn if you can. Next, continue west through Red Canyon and Hatch Junction is the end of UT-12. This is the one you really don't want to miss! About 120 miles from Torrey to Hatch Junction.

(3) UT-95. Blanding to Hanksville. Blanding is about 100 miles south of Moab on UT-191. About 40 miles down 95 is Natural Bridges N.M., one of the best and least-visited parks. It has the largest natural bridge in the world. Cruise through White Canyon to Hite Crossing and Lake Powell. About another 50 miles north to Hanksville along the Dirty Devil River. About 122 miles.

Hanksville is about 75 miles from Torrey and ride #2. And south of Hatch Junction (end of #2) is Zion N.P. This would make a great ride through southern Utah if you happen to come in that way. After that, it's only a short ride down to Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon.

Post or PM any questions about riding through Utah!