General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RainX for Plastic Windshields?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 09:33 AM
MyFirstHD
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RainX for Plastic Windshields?

I have a taller windshield (for now) and for multiple reason will keep it on for my 9 day trip down south. When it rains I can barely see through it. On my old bike I used Pledge to keep it clean and that cut down on the dirt and bugs that stuck to it, but I looked over the shield, not through it.Pledge, and many other waxes, are hydrophobic, (water beads up) and all those bead of water only make the windshield harder to see through. Do I need something Hydrophilicso the water clings to the shield like a second skin?

I read some older threads but maybe new riders or new products came out with something better that works in the rain.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:39 AM
07deluxe
Road Captain
Default RE: RainX for Plastic Windshields?

I heard rainx is bad for the plastic sheilds.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:44 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I would be concerned about abrasives in Rain-X. A pure Carnuba wax would do the same thing and not scratch it. Also, beaded up water is going to flow to the sides and top of the windshield. You'll surely get a face full of water that way. (Same reason I don't use rain-x on my side windows of my truck. I like to crack my windows when driving in the rain).

Old 03-27-2008, 09:48 AM
iceman336
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Rain X will only serve to make your windscreen hazy and put that ugly fog on it that you will have to spend hours polishing off. There is a product called Plast X that is recommended for plastic windscreens.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:52 AM
eazyride
Cruiser

i always use rainX on my car windshield. it's still okay when i applied it on my helmet shield, i mean rainX did no harm to the plastic shield. But thing was the rain drops didnt get blown away by the wind, as they usually do on car windshield over 40mph. Or maybe you could apply one of those polish waxes from the shops.

may be u should change your ultra windshield with the shorter one, around 3-4" tall. never like windshield, it causes too much vibration to the helmet when over 55mph.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:53 AM
DocHarley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It depends on which type shield you have.

The lable on my bottle states:
"DO NOT USE on scratch resistent or specially coated plastics unless pre-approved by the manufacturer of the plastic"

I hear there is a marine version which they say is safe for plexiglass.

On the same note, I've used Rain x for years on my boats inclosure which is made of plastic and never had a problem.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:01 AM
Wecroft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Somewhere in the manual it says not to use Rain-X in the plexglass windshield because it can cause it to become cloudy. I've used it on both a 2003 EG Classic for 2-1/2 years and my 2006 Ultra since it was new and have had no problems. I figure that if it gets cloudy in 4 or 5 year it would be time to replace it anyway due to chips and scratches.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:09 AM
Beancount1
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't use rainx. It's not meant for plastics and will cause a haze on the windshield.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:13 AM
Edmo
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've never used Rain-Xon anything except the cage and have heard "NO"to Rain-X on Plastic... Realistically, if you get caught in a rainshower your windshield will just bead up the water and you will have to look over the shield sotrying to keep water droplets off of the windshield will prove futile. Bug removal is another issue.

There are several sprays which work well to coat your windshield so bugs come off easier. I have been using Lemon Pledge for about a year and it gives a greatcoating at a cheap price.

To loosen the bugs up the easy way, take your windshield into the shower and let it sit under a warm spray for several minutes. For light bug coatings, I have a handheld spray bottle in the garage filled with tap water. Spritz it on, do something else for several minutes while it softens the bug goo, and then wipe them off with a clean microfiber cloth. Every othercleaning I'llcoat the windshieldwith Pledge so thebugs wipe off easier next time.

Remember to always use an up-and-down motion when cleaning your windshield. Regardless of how clean you thinkyour cloth is, it will still create small scratches in the surface. Vertical scratches don't scattersunlight or headlights like a side-to-side or circular cleaning method will. Just ask someone who has cleaned lexan windshields on a light airplane. Another example of verticle "scratches" is in polarized glass.

Edmo

Old 03-27-2008, 10:39 AM
fishheadsaid
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Windshield Water Repellent Treatment

Price
$6.95

Description

Windshield Water Repellent Treatment
Approved for use on Harley-Davidson Lexan® windshields. Enhances visibility during wet-weather riding. Reduces the surface tension of water, allowing the water to bead and dissipate from the windshield by the air-flow during riding. The convenient dispensing container includes ten disposable wipes for easy application of the treatment. Repeat application of the treatment as necessary. Not recommended for use on faceshields. Not for use on an anti-fog product.
10 wipes.

Quick Reply: RainX for Plastic Windshields?