General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RainX for Plastic Windshields?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 08:27 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: RainX for Plastic Windshields?

Don't do it. Rain-X is bad for plastic. Says so on the container.Duh.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:55 AM
harleyeglideman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.plexusplasticcleaner.com/about.html

http://www.plexusplasticcleaner.com/cycle.html

This is what I use and it works. It not only cleans but preps the w/s similar to Rainx but is made for the moto w/s material. You'll probably need to get it at your local metric shop. HD shops don't normally carry it. You won't be sorry.

[sm=signs003.gif]

Old 03-30-2008, 09:02 AM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've found in a pretty good rain storm non of that stuff works in good part because both sides of the windshield get wet and nothing blows the water off the inside. If I get caught in a rain storm, I look over the wind screen.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:04 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Cut the windshield down, you're not supposed to look through it anyway. Proper windshield height should be just below your line of vision (about the tip of your nose).

Old 03-30-2008, 10:39 AM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

If you have to be able to se thru the windshield, then its too tall in the first place. Proper shield hieght should be achived when your eyes are on a level with the top of the shield. This way you can look thru, or when needed (raining) OVER the top of the shield. This will still block all the wind, and bugs, as they will be forced up and over your head.

Rain-Ex should NEVER be used on the lexan that Harley makes thier shields out of. Neither should windex, or any other "Glass" cleaning or coating product.

I use nothing but Novus on my shields, and it works very well. Its made for your windshield, and is recommended for that use.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:45 AM
the glove
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Rejex, it is a high gloss polymer. The rain does not stay, it rolls off, bugs clean up better too.

corrosionx.com

Old 03-30-2008, 11:45 AM
Oldman Harley
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 for Plexus an all around cleaner /protectant. Good stuff

Old 03-30-2008, 11:49 AM
landest
Road Warrior

AWindshield on a bike is just what it implies... it's not a RainShield. Not being a smart a$$ here butyou should not be looking thruyour shield. You look over it.

The top of the Shield should be just about parallel to the tip of your nose in a normal riding position (It sounds like your old bike was confirgured correctly).

That being said, lets call it for what it is: Get your windshield cut\adjusted correctly...

Old 03-30-2008, 02:28 PM
Deluxe07
Cruiser

Whenever I buy a new windshield I buy the tall and have it custom cut for me. Any good glass shop can do it for $35 - $40. The last windshield I had cut was by an old time biker who worked at the glass shop so he knew exactly what I wanted......top of windshield just at nose height.....just my preference. I hate looking through a windshield.

Cleaning a windshield should be no real drama......remove windshield, place dripping wet towel over bug splattered side of windshield, wash and dry bike.....drink a couple of beers, remove wet towel from windshield and bugs wipe off with wet hand towel, dry, apply pledge spray wax. Next windshield cleaning repeat above.....bugs just slide right off after soaking......very simple, no damage to windshield.

Also, excellentadvise mentioned before and worth repeating......always use an up-and-down motion when cleaning your windshield......never side to side.Vertical scratches don't scattersunlight or headlights like a side-to-side or circular cleaning method will.

Ride safe.

Old 08-26-2008, 02:14 PM
06_Deluxe
Stage I
Default Removal of Rain X

OK - I admitted I put rain x on my windsheild and there is a haze. Does anybody have a good idea on how to remove it other than buying a new one?

Quick Reply: RainX for Plastic Windshields?