General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who's a poser?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 09:06 PM
kingk9
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Who's a poser?

ORIGINAL: x2lee

I heard today that all you have to do is add a kicker to your scoot.
ORIGINAL: LilBudyWizer

I'm new to the board and have seen that term thrown around quite a bit. I'm curious what qualifies one to wear that title with pride and distinction.
I gotta say I'm with you on this. I spent 30 years kick starting my bikes. Got crushed nuts, pants legs caught on the kicker making me almost drop the bike, scars from my foot slippin off and rippin the side of my calf open. I was so glad to get an electric start I was beside myself. Now all of a sudden it's bikerish and cool to have a kick start? F**k that ****!

Old 03-26-2008, 09:09 PM
akenaten
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: kingk9

I'm new to the board and have seen that term thrown around quite a bit. I'm curious what qualifies one to wear that title with pride and distinction.
I gotta say I'm with you on this. I spent 30 years kick starting my bikes. Got crushed nuts, pants legs caught on the kicker making me almost drop the bike, scars from my foot slippin off and rippin the side of my calf open. I was so glad to get an electric start I was beside myself. Now all of a sudden it's bikerish and cool to have a kick start? F**k that ****!

[sm=exactly.gif]

Old 03-26-2008, 09:15 PM
kato1964
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[/quote]

[/quote]

+1

I can't figure that one out. Do these same folks long for the days when you had to use a hand crank to get your car or truck running? It is called technological progress. Something it would seem a lot of HD owners fight tooth and nail. Personally I'd rather push a button to get my bike running, than kick half a dozen times.

Wait a minute...I guess that makes ME a poser. How will I sleep nights?

Old 03-26-2008, 09:21 PM
LdyMjo
Tourer

First of all, welcome to the forum! This poser/rubstuff has been themaking of many threads. They are funny after you've read enough of them, though at first I think everyone has to think about the labels some, and their personal relationship to them . And I think the new folks naturally get a little thrown their way, just because they're new. The best way I've heard it said is just to ride your bike andhave fun. Andignore the labels or comments thatsay "he/she is a poser because...he/sherides amotorcycle, but is no biker...he/she uses a weanie windshield...", and so on. If you're havinga good time andnot endangering others, I think it's all good.Someone said we are a big dysfunctional family--I think this is closer to the truth than anything--all types lovin' and ridin' their Harleys.

However, for something close to an official definition, the 'biker lingo' thread on this forum says:

Poser/Poseur/RUB - Generally derogatory term given to a rider only superficially dedicated to the sport, or one who acts as if he is tougher than he is.

Good luck, and again, welcome!

[IMG]local://upfiles/47766/0B4990B0669A439B9F976FA37810C1CA.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-26-2008, 09:44 PM
Softail Sam
Tourer

ORIGINAL: kingk9

Agreed. As one of the guys that remembers when none of the bikes had electric starters I am in no rush to go back. Pushing the button is soooo damn easy. Although if I had avintage ride like Gumpy's Captain I would be very tempted. [sm=biker.gif]

Old 03-26-2008, 09:48 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Starting this thread made you qualified. Congratulations.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:51 PM
ranger56528
Extreme HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I quit going to Sturg in 96 because it got to be to RUB..erish....

Old 03-26-2008, 10:02 PM
big_al
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: 06train

I'd rather drink in a pub and get a rub from the waitress that is a poser for Playboy.
budda bing..
This is a great idea!!

Old 03-26-2008, 10:09 PM
powaypete
Road Master

I'm a poser - I'm posin to be a RUB

I got a shiney Harley
I ride it so it don't get wet
I got lots of money left on my credit card
I got me a leather jacket with a Harleypatch on back