General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new rider

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 06:07 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default new rider

Was running some errands and came up behind a HD duce. The man riding it was wobbly. He put down his feet late and bounced them a couple of times. Light changes he is again very wobble and drags his feet for a good distance. The bike appeared to be new. I pegged him for a new rider or a rider just starting again. Older gentleman. Don't take this as a helmet post---its not. I wear it when I want to and I don't wear it when I want to. I don't care if anyone else wears a helmet or not. This older gentleman was wearing gym shorts--tee shirt---tennis shoes and glasses. I usually see this on metric bikes----the reason I have always thought was that metrics are not as pricey as HD so that makes them an entry bike for a lot of new riders. I started to say something--then changed my mind. This is a grown man. I am curious to see how forum members would have handled this. This is not a new problem but its a new day. Opinions?

Old 03-26-2008, 06:12 PM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 89 Posts
Default RE: new rider

I know what you mean, last night I saw a guy on a brand new Suzuki sport bike. It was obvious he was a new rider, not only in his riding style but he was being followed by his SO in a pretty new Hummer. I am sure that the support Hummer was with him.
We all have to start somewhere, but I feel for the guy. Traffic is not the place to learn, and you should be dressed for it.
Scary stuff.
MikeM

Old 03-26-2008, 06:13 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

hmmmm,,,, just like huntin season,,,, the "NEW" ones always shoot themselves or fall outta tree stands,,,, who gives a fugg!!!

Old 03-26-2008, 06:16 PM
Sparkman
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a rider again after a number of years so you might see me doing the same things with my feet. I do wear the jeans and boots though. I'm sure it will take me a few times to get back in the groove. I was able to get my bike out tonight for a short ride but am having to watch out for the sand and salt they put on the roads in Iowa. Felt real good though. Don't think anyone could wipe the smile of my face.[align=left] [/align]

Old 03-26-2008, 06:29 PM
jbnl163
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO, you will start to see more and more newbies on bikes. With gas prices as they are, many are forced to find cheaper ways to get about. Unfortunately, that will mean more bad statistics for motorcycle riders in general. My buddy just took a riding safety class here in California and easily got his motorcycle license. They teach you on very light, agile bikes. When he rented a Road Glide for a day, he could barely ride it. I had him take it back after only half a day before he got into trouble. Just wasn't ready.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:33 PM
skltr
Ultimate HDF Member

eBay is loaded with those bikes, 2-3 yrs old with ~ 1-2K or less. Keeps the economy moving

Old 03-26-2008, 06:53 PM
NitroShark
Road Captain

I just don't see what there is to "handle". I would've ignored him, as what he's doing wouldn't be any of my business. As for him being new....we all started sometime. He can wear whatever he wants.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:07 PM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 89 Posts

ORIGINAL: Sparkman

I am a rider again after a number of years so you might see me doing the same things with my feet. I do wear the jeans and boots though. I'm sure it will take me a few times to get back in the groove. I was able to get my bike out tonight for a short ride but am having to watch out for the sand and salt they put on the roads in Iowa. Felt real good though. Don't think anyone could wipe the smile of my face.[align=left][/align]
I too am back after 23 years if you can believe it. Started last May. I had many miles after I stood down for a long time.
My point is that you dont start in traffic with no protective gear.
Welcome back, and be safe.
MikeM

Old 03-26-2008, 07:11 PM
Lincoln33
Outstanding HDF Member

If he doesn't have enough sense to wear protective clothing on his own I doubt he'd listen to you. He'll most likely learn the hard way.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:12 PM
jagator
Road Master

Not how I would ride, but just like wearing a helmet. It is all about personal choice. So I would not have sad anything to him.

Quick Reply: new rider