General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil leak got worse!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 06:05 PM
The Baron
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Oil leak got worse!!!

WTF!? This leak sprung out of nowhere. First it was some oil residue now it is a full blown mess!

This pisses me off! I thought that perhaps one of the breathers were plugged creating crankcase pressure, thus pushing oil out here. I checked the breathers and they appear to be fine.

I tried using some case sealant on the pin hole last night but it doesn't appear that it helped, in fact it got worse.

What do y'all think?

Here's pics. You can see an air bubble where there is obviously air pressure forcing the oil out (arrow points to the air bubble)

Old 03-26-2008, 06:11 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Oil leak got worse!!!

Are you sure that it's coming from between the cases? If you could clean up the oil and get a good picture posted of the pin hole you refer to, it would be helpful. It almost looks like the oil is dripping on the center casting and running down to the case where it puddles.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:21 PM
The Baron
Banned

ORIGINAL: DGlide04

Are you sure that it's coming from between the cases? If you could clean up the oil and get a good picture posted of the pin hole you refer to, it would be helpful. It almost looks like the oil is dripping on the center casting and running down to the case where it puddles.
It's definitely coming from the case. I watched air bubble out of it. I cleaned and rechecked numerous times. There is no oil anywhere else.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:22 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like a problem. I hope its not a porous case. I thought those were problems of the past. I would take it to a friend of mine thats more knowledgeable than me.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:22 PM
clap
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

On my 02 Electra Glide The dealer replaced the rear jug on mine due to a pin hole in the casting. I had bought it used 2 years ago but they gave me a 6 month warranty on the bike and it developed a leak a couple months after I purchased it.So I got pretty lucky. I would say yours is a bad casting as well.
Clap

Old 03-26-2008, 06:24 PM
The Baron
Banned

My bike is an '02 and just now got this leak. It's got 14K miles on it.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:36 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey, Baron. Looking like a "bummer" first of all, and then either a porous casting or a crack in the case.Can you see the "actual" hole/crack? Or is it, for lack of a better word, "microscopic" (not visible to the naked eye)
I am attempting to fwd this whole post to Scott, an indy who does case machining and engine building, to see what light he may possibly shed.
I would tell you what I'd do "if it were mine" but I do not want to add to the fray here. So will keep it to myself, for now. If Scott comes back with the same idea, then I'll post it.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:46 PM
2005UltraNC
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Assume someone could TIG weld this - might check with a welding shop

Old 03-26-2008, 06:51 PM
Dorkman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Doesn't look like there is a whole lot of pressure in that area, but I would like to know what is directly under the pin hole. Probably just oil splashing around. Looks like a very tight area for any kind of a welding tool, for a fix, but a person with some experience may have a better answer. You might try digging out the pinhole a bit, then using JB-Weld, a two part mix. The stuff is tough and holds very well.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:52 PM
The Baron
Banned

Guys, it's leaking from a spot where there appears to be a machined notch in the two case halves that is filled with case sealant. I would assume the "notch" is there to help when splitting cases.

Quick Reply: Oil leak got worse!!!