General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil leak got worse!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 06:57 PM
Lincoln33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Oil leak got worse!!!

Man sorry for your troubles, I was thinking JB Weld too but I didn't want you to think I was making a bad joke at your expense. Hope you can get a cheap fix.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:06 PM
hdpearson13
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

bad case sealing HD might cover it give them a call. They might they might not

Old 03-26-2008, 07:14 PM
06train
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is something to try..We do it a lot with racing..Clean the surface with acetone (not easy to by since its used in meth labs,,,,I guess???)or a good brand brake cleener..After cleaning take a small amount of HIGH QUALITY silicone on your finger and push as much into the leak area as possible..Do not fire the engine for 24 hours..Also if the motor is warm this helps---WARM...Its a cheap shot in the dark but worth a try..We have used this in different issues when the parts store is a long ways off.And have cured small leaks completely.Looks to me like just an issue of sealing the whole..Good luck.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:39 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: 06train

Here is something to try..We do it a lot with racing..Clean the surface with acetone (not easy to by since its used in meth labs,,,,I guess???)or a good brand brake cleener..After cleaning take a small amount of HIGH QUALITY silicone on your finger and push as much into the leak area as possible..Do not fire the engine for 24 hours..Also if the motor is warm this helps---WARM...Its a cheap shot in the dark but worth a try..We have used this in different issues when the parts store is a long ways off.And have cured small leaks completely.Looks to me like just an issue of sealing the whole..Good luck.
Now that someone "else" broke the ice. Baron, remember Connroskie posting form Fla that he messed his up? Well, you just read how he got home. Recommended he use brake cleaner to thoroughly clean the area. Then use silicone to seal it. It is a "temp" fix, but will keep you riding til you can get a "perm" fix in hand.
It is in a VERY bad location to put in silicone. VERY visible and hard to get it over the "notch" in the case. You may have to put it on as a"layer" It will hold, believe it or not, the panhead has a leak in the case halves (but on the bottom) and it has been sealed with clear slicone for over3 yrs, and it is still holding. It is NOT the prettiest picture in the world, but it is keeping me from splitting the cases until I am ready.
The other choice would be clean it VERY well, and use JB weld, BUTI would talk to Harley B4 I did that. It is a much more permanent item, vs silicone.
You CANNOT weld there, as I believe from your posts, you have grasped that. If you do, IMHO, the cases are now done.
I have not heard back from Scott yet as to whether he hasgotten my emails.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:53 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It's probably the sealant gave way. I'll pm you.
Ron

Old 03-26-2008, 07:56 PM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know i'm not seeing things. I see a crack on both sides of that divot. Right where it is leaking and on the other side closest to the linkage. If they are not cracks what are they?

Old 03-26-2008, 08:04 PM
The Baron
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

No cracks. I already cleaned it with carb cleaner and put some gray silicone over it yesterday, so you probably see lines in the silicone that I put on it. Mayhap I didn't wait long enough.

Think I should clean it and try again but just wait longer?

Old 03-26-2008, 09:08 PM
wb0zrd
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought a new 07 Heritage last summer and I have the exact leak that you do. I am going to take mine into the dealer after this years riding season is over...it'll still be under warranty and they can keep it a few weeks if need be. My guess is it'll be a pretty major tear down to fix the problem. The amount of oil that is leaking will never (at least the way it is now) be a problem, more of damm it sort of thing.

Paul in Colorado

Old 03-26-2008, 09:23 PM
jammerx
Stellar HDF Member
Received 333 Likes on 225 Posts

Have you tried to tighten the case bolt right there in the picture? Also factory sealent is Hylomar.

I feel your pain, I changed the oil in my EVO years ago from HD 360 to Mobil 1 and within the day blew the front base gasket out, oil was pooring out the jug...

Old 03-26-2008, 09:50 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

ORIGINAL: rbabos

It's probably the sealant gave way. I'll pm you.
Ron
+1 I would consult your dealer before you dive into it. Maybe the MoCo will fix it out of warranty goodwill.

Quick Reply: Oil leak got worse!!!