General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stainless Cables & Lines

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 02:10 PM
Cohiba_Joe
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stainless Cables & Lines

Well, I finally decided on getting the Wild 1 Chubby 518 bars for the bike and had dropped everything into the online shopping basket; bars, cables, brake lines, etc. Come to find out the Barnett "Platinum" series cables cost more than the standard stainless steel cables.....and just when I thought I had my mind made up. Now I have to try and decide on the cable finish. I don't care about the extra cost but could someone, anyone, out there give their opinion in regards to the difference in looks between the two? Is the platinum too bright or the standard too dull? Pictures would be a great help if anyone has some. Having never seen them in person I'm curious how the brighter cables would look with my bike and setup.

I have already searched the forums and found a few postings in regards to Barnett cables but nothing specific about the differences between the two types.

Thanks,
Brian

Old 03-26-2008, 02:24 PM
Tucker99
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Stainless Cables & Lines

I have Goodrich stainless cables and personally don't like them. You have to use a clear lube, anything else bleeds through the braid and looks like crap. They're heavier than stock and bind and chaf anything they touch. I'd stay with black plastic. Just MHO.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:05 PM
mulch63
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just installed the Platinum and like the lookes better then the stainless on my current bike. I changed ALL controls and grips to chrome and I think the cables compliment it. My wife's bike has all stainless and it has the old style "classic" look. Thing is I did the tank crossover in stainless and it doesn't clash with the Platinum. All a matter of taste and style.

jim

Old 03-26-2008, 03:10 PM
mulch63
Road Master

here's a pic....I can get others @ home if need.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:19 PM
Cohiba_Joe
Road Captain

Thanks Jim....

If you have any close up pics where I could see the difference between the Platinum and the standard I would really appreciate it.....but only if you already have some pics. Don't go to any trouble.

You said you did the stainless tank crossover on your bike and it doesn't clash with the Platinum, correct? if so that's good to hear since I have already ordered the crossover line. In regards to my controls I went with the chrome covers and will be adding the master cylinder chrome cover along with changing out the levers for chrome ones. I'll be leaving the rest of the controls black more so for the black and chrome contrast.

Thanks for the input.

Brian

Old 03-26-2008, 04:06 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have Magnum Sterling Chromite 2 hoses and wires (Not cables on this one, but on the FLH I have them also) Here you go:
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/g...r/PICT0951.jpg
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/g...r/PICT0950.jpg
Thisis the same thing HD sells for a ton more. Now, it is not Barnett, but looking in the cat, I am going to "guesstimate" they are the same. This is the "shinyer" (is that a word?) of the 2 made by Sterling. Click on the pic, you can blow it up bigger, I think(?) Oil lines, gas lines, and plug wires on this one.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:38 PM
mulch63
Road Master

I took a couple pics for ya. On the right is stainless and the one on the left is some sort of Platinum. The knucklehead that my wife bought the bike from took off the clear coating so otherwise they may shine more. The other two pics are the Barnett Platinum on my bike.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:41 PM
mulch63
Road Master

Hey Gump I actually think the Sterling cables had a better shine but didn't get to see them side by side with Barnett cables.

jim

Old 03-27-2008, 08:53 AM
Cohiba_Joe
Road Captain

Hey Jim....

Thanks for taking the time to take those pics, I appreciate it.

Of course I'm still undecided whether I like the "old school" look of the standard stainless or the brighter, close weave of the Platinum. Geez, I hate making decisions - LOL.

Brian

Old 03-27-2008, 09:21 AM
Guilty
Outstanding HDF Member

The Platinum cables are bright and really stick out. The Stainless braid w/ clear coat would look best on your Road King, very classy look. I recently had the cables changed out on my CVO Springer and the dealer (accidently) ordered the Platinum cables for the right sidewhen I wanted the Carbon coat cables (they did order the Carbon coated cables for the clutch side). The Platinum cables were an eyesore, they were too bright and really stuck out. I had my dealer re-order the correct cables. Here are a few pictures before I had thePlatinum cables replaced with 2" shorter Carbon cables...the right side has the Platinum (yes, they were too long also), the left side has the Carbon cable.

My Road King has the Barnett Stainless brain w/ clear coat, here is a picture, unfortunately I don't have any closer pictures of the cables. The Stainless cables blend in for a classy look IMO. Good luck with your decision.

Quick Reply: Stainless Cables & Lines