General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Laced wheels pitted anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 07:36 AM
Heartshot
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Laced wheels pitted anyone?

Well I went and did it this time. I cleaned up the 05 Ultra before putting her away for the winter, but I did not do a thurough cleaning of the rims. Now it looks likewhat road grime was left has my chrome pitted around where the spoke enters the rim! I have even cut my fingers trying to clean them up where the chrome is sticking up! Any suggestions? I know new rims ...or... re-chrome these [:@]

Old 03-26-2008, 07:43 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Laced wheels pitted anyone?

I'm sorry but I don't. I can tell you what I did do. I replaced my laced front wheel with a cast wheel. Not only is it easier to keep clean but (to me) it looks better and being tubeless it iseasier to repair a roadside flat with a plug gun and compressor. With a laced wheel having tubes your only help would be a cell phone.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:40 AM
coastrider
Road Master

I hear ya Heartshot. I live on the Oregon coast and nothing keeps them clean very long and they are in sad shape. I really like wire wheels on a bike but I am going to follow whaap and replace them with a cast or billet wheel. I like the idea of a tubeless tire as well.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:59 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, Bummer if it is peeling already. I have no magic bullet, either.
I'd have to say that is one of the #1 complaints I hear now days. The "chitty" chrome jobs being done. It is REALLY getting hard to find a plating company who will do a "good" 3 plate process anymore because of all this cheap a$$ junk coming in from overseas. The "good" platers just cannot compete with the $$$'s. Makes me sick when I see a guy who worksa whole winter or way more, building or restoring a scoot, and then the chrome starts peeling within a year or two. And it is not just the rims, but a lot of the parts we all like to use. YUK!!!!!

Old 03-26-2008, 02:24 PM
pkenyon1
Road Captain

I had the same thing happen on my 05 Deluxe and the dealer changed the front wheel...
at first they claimed I had not cleaned well but as the real wheel was fine I pointed out that such logic was flawed, if anything you could clean the front wheel more easily.

They agreed and changed it out, even without warranty you should try....I think it is poor chroming around where the spoke passes into the wheel.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:12 PM
Dirty Dan
Advanced

Same happened to me a few years back, but I thought it was from brake dust not being cleaned off. Only happened on the rear wheel tho. Scrubbed the crap out of it and dont look too bad so I'm runnin' it!!!

Old 03-26-2008, 07:20 PM
hdpearson13
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

S100 polishing soap works great

Old 03-26-2008, 11:01 PM
Comfortably Numb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine are perfect, but I'm kinda **** about keeping them clean and don't store my RK away for the winter.

CN

Old 03-26-2008, 11:38 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the only remedy is clean , i clean once a week and never put away wet blow dry the hell out em

Old 03-27-2008, 04:14 AM
cornishman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 07 Bobs the same, as you say Da its the quality of the chrome that sucks. Don,t know who supplies the spokes and rims but the quality is *****. I,m planning on stainless rims and spokes next winter as i like the look. On a premium price bike (at least it is in the UK ) its not good enough........sorry rant over.

Quick Reply: Laced wheels pitted anyone?