General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike for the big and tall guys

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 06:51 AM
Beercan321
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bike for the big and tall guys

Hello,
I'm curious if there are any big / tall riders on this forum. If there are what model Harley do you ride? I'm 6'6" and weigh 280 lbs. I'm in the market for a Harley but I'm not sure what model would be best suited for me. I've gone to the dealer and sat on bikes but you really can't judge if they will be comfortable or not just by sitting on one for a few minutes. I really like the Road King and I seem to fit on one but that is while sitting on a bike on the showroom floor. A buddy of mine just bought a new Night Train. I sat on that and didn't fit at all.

So what do you big and tall guys ride? I assume you all ride the touring models but is there one model that you really like or one that I should stay away from.

Thanks for the advice.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:54 AM
ckgdrums
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bike for the big and tall guys

I'm 6'3, 350 lbs. and I ride a Road King Classic. However, I have sat on about all of the models Harley makes. The only ones that really made me feel like I was riding a mini-bike, were the Deluxe and all the Sportys.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:09 AM
hdtaxman
Intermediate

I am 6'5" , 260 and I have a good friend who is 6'6" and 320 and we both ride Road King Police, a 2001 and 2004, respectively..It's a great ride for both of us, slightly different setups as far as seat and foot rests on the crash bar, but otherwise the same..

With all the variations of Kuryakyn, etc. and the adjustable stirrups, leg rests, etc. you will find a comfortable fit

Old 03-25-2008, 07:16 AM
hdfxcw
Cruiser

I'm 6'7' and 210 lbs. My ride is a 2008 FXCW Rocker. I moved the forward controls 3" forward with an Arlen Ness extension kit. I'm comfortable, but only have put 55 miles on my bike - temps have always been below 40 degrees since I got my bike. Only time and some extended trips will give me a truer picture regarding comfort.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:20 AM
Wally
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I ride and Ultra, I'm 6'3". I've installed Wild1's chubby bars model 575 handlebars, they are 4 inches wider than stock, I installed softbrake extended gear shift levers to allow room for my size 12's. There is a tallboy seat available, but I don't have it. Buy a touring bike and you'll fit it with a little tweeking.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:22 AM
hdwd2000
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My buddy is 6.8 and rides a Road Glidewith a extended windsheild.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:28 AM
route2null0
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

6'1" and 290. I have the Dyna Wide. I'm comfy in my ride. I like the forward controls.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:36 AM
Lures
Road Warrior

I'm 6'3" 220 lbs & I ride a Heritage Softail, no problems at all. I added an engine guard with highway pegs so I can stretch out a little on longer rides

Old 03-25-2008, 07:40 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Mornin', Beercan. 6'6" (38" inseam)here. I built mine to fit me.
We had an 01 Ultra. I had to install new bars so they would clear my knees. We also had the Zeppelin seat, so was able to "lift" my butt up a bit. And relocate the trunk rearwards. That was a decent combo.
I have ridden a good friend's RK from Ky to Mn,(no alterations to it) and found it "cramped" for me.
On my FLH (78) remove floor boards and install 3" fwd controls and 1" spacers(wider).
I keep "threatening" to design brackets to move the floorboards and controls forward 3"+ for the old shovels and pans, but so far, that is what it has been, a "threat"
FYI - the "most" comfortable FLHI have ever ridden, was a 1970 FLH that the frame had been cut and extended 5". The "kid" was from Pa and he was 6'10". But what a "sweet" ride for a tall person.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:25 AM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 221 Likes on 139 Posts

6'4" and 250. I ride a softail now. Getting used to it, and will need the extended forwards and some taller bars. Had a Road King Classic, but I hated the caged in feeling. Would have possibly gone with a Wide Glide, but the only ones left are anniversary bikes. Besides, I like the softail better. I think for taller people it's better to get lower and sit in instead of on the bike. Night train for me was cramped as well, but it's set up differently that the Custom is.

Quick Reply: Bike for the big and tall guys