General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not starting

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 05:58 PM
johnnychum
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not starting

This is the winter months in montreal and I just leave the bike (2007 Street Bob)in the garage, I don't prep for storage but I start the bike every week for a good 15-20 min. There hasn't been a problem except for today, when I push the starter all you hear is a fast and loud clicking sound.The battery is fine and I have gaz but just doesn't want to start. Big problem or what?...and what can it be.

Old 03-24-2008, 06:23 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,808 Likes on 2,544 Posts
Default RE: Not starting

Take the battery out and have it load tested at an Autozone or it's equivalent. The cold starts puts a real drain on your battery and the short time you ran probably only putout a "surface" charge on it. The battery sounds like there may be enough juice in it to light the lights and run the fuel pump but not enoughamperage left in it to kick out the starter shaft to turn over the engine.Invest in a battery tender to keep your battery up during the lay ups, and starting it up for short runs in the garage isn't really good for the engine either. Good luck.

Old 03-24-2008, 06:24 PM
NitroShark
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you 100% sure the battery is good? Is sure sounds like a bad battery to me. I'd have it tested at a shop to be sure.

Old 03-24-2008, 06:38 PM
Tnicean
Tourer

Go buy a new battery and a battery tender. Then you will be good to go.
Tnicean

Old 03-24-2008, 06:41 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Starting and idling the cold engine to charge the battery is not a good idea. You're battery is probably dead. Either buy a battery tender, they're cheap, or remove the battery and store it inside.

Old 03-24-2008, 06:42 PM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

I concur with the bad battery diagnosis. Either hook up a *KNOWN* good 12VDC battery.....run a set of jumper cables from your cage, or use some sort of 12VDC booster box, and see if she starts that way.....I kinda think it will.

Just remember do not touch anything but the starter button.....no throttle. Also, if it dont start within about 3 or 4 seconds....stop.......let the starter motor rest and cool off for a few seconds, and then try again. You may want to also drain the fuel tank and add a gallon or two of fresh fuel....I guess you could even add a little shot of SeaFoam or Sta-bil just in case you got some crap in one of the injectors or something.....you could also pull your plugs and check/replace them if too worn or crapped up. If none of this works come back and post your results.

Also.....when you put your bike up for the Winter its best to do just that....and leave it that way. There are several things you could do to make sure no negative effects take hold over the winter....and several other things you could do to make starting in the Spring a bit more easy. Running your bike every few weeks for 15min or so is causing more harm than its preventing.....in a few different ways....I wont go into it here and now, but if you do a search, I am sure you will come up with quite a bit of good info about winterizing.....and first starting in Springtime.

Either way.....please make sure you post back and let us all know what exactly was the problem, and what cured it.

Old 03-24-2008, 06:57 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Everything everybody said, with the addition of checking and cleaning your cables.
Biz hit it, go back and search for winter storage. There were several threads on it this winter.
Keep us posted on your progress, neighbor.
Is the snow melting up your way? Still falling here. Struggling to hit 32 and s'posed to be close to 50. [:'(]

Old 03-24-2008, 09:15 PM
johnnychum
Advanced

Thanks, and I will post as soon as I figure out the problem. Its always great to have brothers that like to help.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:27 PM
skltr
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Da Gumpmeister

Everything everybody said, with the addition of checking and cleaning your cables.
+1

Old 03-24-2008, 11:10 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

street bobs are picky about starting after winter rests... mine always is, usually have to tighen the cables... it sits on a tender most of the winter... i feel your pain.

Quick Reply: Not starting