General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not starting

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 10:54 AM
johnnychum
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Not starting

Just bought a -Optimate 3 desulfater charger- the salesman said its supposed to be better then a regular tender. The mech. at the dealer said if it doesn't start with this I'll need a new battery. What do you guys think?

Old 03-25-2008, 04:15 PM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: johnnychum

Just bought a -Optimate 3 desulfater charger- the salesman said its supposed to be better then a regular tender. The mech. at the dealer said if it doesn't start with this I'll need a new battery. What do you guys think?
I just checked out that charger, and it sounds like a good unit, although my experience has been with the Deltran tenders only. I would just hook up another known good 12V battery, and see if she starts....that way you will know its your battery or not.....but you should also check the cables to make sure they are tight and clean at the terminals.

If your battery is in that bad a shape.....that it has been deeply discharged, it will NEVER be the same. Even if it takes and holds a charge, it will never even come close to holding a 90% charge like it should. If your new charger/tender does the job, and brings the battery back from the dead....thats cool, but I would still recommend you buy a new battery, because that one will fail again.....and at the most inopportune time possible......the failure is in the mail.....I dont know when it will be delivered, but its on its way.....just get a new battery. Of course......make certain that it is the battery thats the problem, and not the cables or a "not charging" issue indicating a problem with the charging system and not the battery.

Old 03-25-2008, 05:53 PM
RazorFXDB
Tourer

ORIGINAL: biz44

"run a set of jumper cables from your cage, or use some sort of 12VDC booster box, and see if she starts that way.....I kinda think it will. "

Takes about 5 min and you'll know for sure.

Like Biz said, if it's your battery, you're better off getting a new one. Can't count how many times I was out in the woods on an ATV and had to push the bike to a hill to jump start it because a shitty battery let me down.

Ray.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:16 PM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: RazorFXDB

ORIGINAL: biz44

"run a set of jumper cables from your cage, or use some sort of 12VDC booster box, and see if she starts that way.....I kinda think it will. "

Takes about 5 min and you'll know for sure.

Like Biz said, if it's your battery, you're better off getting a new one. Can't count how many times I was out in the woods on an ATV and had to push the bike to a hill to jump start it because a shitty battery let me down.

Ray.
That works fine for bikes that are carbed.......but unless you got enough juice to get the fuel pump spinning....you aint starting. Now....you may have just enough to run the pump, but not enough to turn over the engine.....in that case a nice hill, or someone pushing would work.