General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stebel Nautilus - POS

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 04:28 PM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Stebel Nautilus - POS

The man in brown stopped by a few hours ago and left me the Stebel Nautilus I had ordered last week.

I've really been wanting this horn, if you're not familiar with it there are several threads about it on the forum and youtube has a few demonstrations.

What a POS.

I searched and found the best price. - $36.95

I opted for the chrome version - xtra $10

I opted for the wiring kit - $10

I paid the reasonable shipping costs - $10

What I got was a cheap, pig metal compressor with plastic horn bell and with snap on plastic chrome covers that leaves the compressor head section plain pig metal. The portion that is not chrome is so large the eye is drawn right to it.

To top off the fact it is too large to fit under the original cowbell that covered the fiamm style horn, the snap-on chrome is too cheap to be trusted at highway speeds without popping off.

...Not to think the entire horn wouldn't pop off while riding since the mounting bracket is pig metal and instead of a hole for a bolt to go through, it has a groove that slides over a mounting bolt. No matter how tight I mounted it, I could twist it off with no pressure or leverage more than a good rap on the throttle could provide.

When I took it off the bike the mount had been pinched to the point that half the thickness was gone....and this was just while in the garage, never even wired it up.

Boxed up ready to send back. Chalk up one two-way shipping charge for a lesson learned.

~~~~~~anyone know the part number for the NAPA Fiamm horn?

Old 03-24-2008, 05:12 PM
onedae
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Stebel Nautilus - POS

The Stebel horn is a great horn, cheapand really loud - BUTyes - its ugly!!! Need to mount it somewherehidden or you won't be happy. Since its too big for the cowbell, its very tough to do ona Harley.Thats probably why you don't see too many of them on Harleys.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:27 PM
TexasBowhunter
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

If you remove the chrome plastic horn assy and trim the plastic that surrounds the compressor the horn assy will fit...
Then what you need to do is route a 1/4" dia. hose from the horn to the compressor which is located somewhere on the bike to power up the horn assy...
NO the entire stebel horn assy will not fit under the cow bell
It will come apart...
Do a search and there should be plenty of info on what I'm describing...

Old 03-24-2008, 05:41 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Got me the $39 Northern tool and hydraulics version of the ugly horn. Wired it up and scared the hell out of a blue hair who tried to get into my lane on the interstate. I don't care how ugly it is... It is LOUD ! incredibly LOUD and effective....That trumps pretty and weak every time ...IMHO

Bubba

Old 03-24-2008, 06:23 PM
SMenasco
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It takes a little rigging to mount it, I left it together and removed the HD cow bell. I painted the whole thing gloss black and it doesn't look too bad. Ugly? Yes. Loud? Yes. I like loud.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1638/ECF50F6AEBD84D3D898CB3183CFA63EC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-24-2008, 06:45 PM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: TexasBowhunter

If you remove the chrome plastic horn assy and trim the plastic that surrounds the compressor the horn assy will fit...
Then what you need to do is route a 1/4" dia. hose from the horn to the compressor which is located somewhere on the bike to power up the horn assy...
NO the entire stebel horn assy will not fit under the cow bell
It will come apart...
Do a search and there should be plenty of info on what I'm describing...
Wow, I never read anything about separating the horn from the compressor! Thanks for the tip.

And I agree with you guys about the loud part, that is why I bought it but the mounting is what has really got me worked up.

I'm going to do more research on the forum and see what I can find.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:06 PM
Unome
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: sniper77
~~~~~~anyone know the part number for the NAPA Fiamm horn?
According to this topic - https://www.hdforums.com/m_2343510/tm.htm- it would beNAPA 730-1056 or BK 7301056. You may have to have them order it.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:22 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,540 Likes on 932 Posts

I replaced my stock horn on my 06 Softail std with the Fiaam horn. It is the same tone & loudness as the stock horn. HD upgraded their horns in 06 from what I'm told & they are equal to the Fiaam. Don't waste your time if you have a 06 or later.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:48 PM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks Unome and golfblues, good information.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:50 PM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: SMenasco

It takes a little rigging to mount it, I left it together and removed the HD cow bell. I painted the whole thing gloss black and it doesn't look too bad. Ugly? Yes. Loud? Yes. I like loud.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1638/ECF50F6AEBD84D3D898CB3183CFA63EC.jpg[/IMG]
Do you think you could take a picture of how you rigged it up? I'm curious how you made it stable enough to not worry about it falling off.
If you can, thanks. If not, no problem, thanks anyway.

Quick Reply: Stebel Nautilus - POS