General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

two questions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008 | 05:07 AM
bad_azz
|
Cruiser
Default two questions.

I feel like i'm in a minority. I rarely ever was my bike, and I don't spend much on mods.

How often do you guys wash your bikes? I wash mine once a year wether it needs it or not. i hate doin it, and i could care less if people look at it and say, "Boy that nike could use a wash." fact is, mopst of my ride are after work, and i could probably use a shower.

second, how much do you guys spend on mods? personally,i feel that there isn't much worth doin that i can't make myself and add on myself. there are a couple things that i currently want to do , bit I am slowly thinking through because i am cheap.
as an example, when i walk through the woods, all the birds exclaim, "cheap, cheap, cheap."

am I as much of a minority as I think I am?

Old 03-23-2008 | 06:13 AM
badinfluence63
Banned
Default RE: two questions.

On one hand its insane to spend too much because in all likely hood you won't get it back in a resale or trade in. On the other you should consider taking care of something that cost a substancial amount of money. Improper care will inevidable cost you more money. Result in accelerated wear, break downs and unreliability. There is a group of machines categorized as "Rat Bikes". You may be destined for that honorable category.

http://www.lafishmag.com/RatBikes.html

Old 03-23-2008 | 06:36 AM
bad_azz
|
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: badinfluence63

On one hand its insane to spend too much because in all likely hood you won't get it back in a resale or trade in. On the other you should consider taking care of something that cost a substancial amount of money. Improper care will inevidable cost you more money. Result in accelerated wear, break downs and unreliability. There is a group of machines categorized as "Rat Bikes". You may be destined for that honorable category.

http://www.lafishmag.com/RatBikes.html
by all means, i agree with you on several levels. first of all, maintainance is maintenance. ****, if you never change you're oil, you deserve problems. but, i hear alot of people on here that wash their bikes weekly. why? i would rather ride for that hour. I'm not knockin'. maybe they just have more time than me.
also, i would love to own a simple rat bike. trust me, i am keeping my eyes open for one as we speak. just not on the level as the link you provided. just a simple machine for A-B. not some gaudy monstrosity that costs 25,000+
my point is that so many people try to make their bike look oiriginal by buying a crap load of bolt on parts for insane amounts of money. it seems that it is an attempt to differentiate. but, how much differentiation is there if you buy the same parts, for the same bike as a large quantity of other people?
again, i'm not judging. its your bike and your money. but, are you truely accomplishing your goal? I hope i insipire inovation.

Old 03-23-2008 | 06:43 AM
badinfluence63
Banned

When I was younger I did stuff like better carb and mufflers. Tool bags and saddle bags. Thats all. No cams.Maybe hydrolics to solids. Today i don't even have a clue what they are talking about with regards to cert and CPU upgrades? I use S100. Squirt on rinse off. bye bye. That quick. Every now and then polish because it does help protect the finish. If I had the money and the knowledge I may make a better product with motor upgrades?I don't soI never did.

Old 03-23-2008 | 07:48 AM
eagle56
Road Captain

i like to keep mine clean and if I don't look after the wheels on my 08 fat boy the will disolve in front of my eye's so every dirty ride it will get a good clean.

I would be interested in what you ride, if I had a night train then cleaning may not be such an issue as it is mainly black and very little chrome.

As for extras Ive bought a rack, a bag ,a mustand seat with riders rest(brill) and a sissy bar.
I am thinking of a screenfor practical reasons but i havent made my mind up yet as it looks better without.
toying with a stage 1 but is runs fine from stock and i've changed the pipes tp hd slash cuts that sound a wee bit better.

its my toy all my life I have spent my money on the dust bin lids err indoors and the house this is howI rebel

Old 03-23-2008 | 07:54 AM
Dixie Dreg
Ultimate HDF Member

He likes to keep his fire engine clean, it's a clean machine. If I pay a bunch of money for something I am going to take care of it, to me that is part of ownership.

Old 03-23-2008 | 08:07 AM
FandA M
Road Captain

I wash my bike once in a while.I'll hose it down and hit it with a little dish soap........takes me about ten minutes.I'm on the east coast of Fl. and if I don't hose it off now and then the salt air will just do a number on everything.I don't detail or shine(not much to shine)

As far as spending money on mods....I've spent a fair amount on a rebuild and performance.How the bike runs is more important than how it looks to me.Anything else I've changed on the bike(carb,bars,taillight,wheels,etc.)I found on eBay,swapmeet,other peoples takeoffs,dumpster dive,trade or any other way I could avoid paying retail or, anything at all.

Old 03-23-2008 | 08:29 AM
bagga
Elite HDF Member

my shovel hasn't been washed since about 1992. my bagger gets washed for memorial day, the 4th of july, labor day and when i put it away for the winter. bug guts don't bother me.

Old 03-23-2008 | 08:49 AM
Jumpman
Road Warrior

Likemany of the other guys have said...

I like to keep my bike looking nice for my personal satisfaction - and because it's one of the more expensive things that I own.

- As you mentioned you are 'cheap', it really surprises me that you 'don't care' if your bike gets/stays dirty. If you are indeed 'cheap', the value structure of our society would kinda dictate you would takeMORE pride in the things that you do have - and treat them with greater care. That being said, I went back thru the thread, and you didn't give the 'I'm a hardcore biker - bikes are meant to ride & rust' arguement. One of my Pop's friends is like that & he gives us a whole bunch of crap because we have 'clean' scoots. So, at risk of sounding like a dick - It appears to me that you are just kinda lazy - and are looking for someone to agree with you for personal justification.

Just my $0.02

----
- This is a constant issue of debate in my house - as my wife seems to refuse to keep her car clean. She says 'it's just a car'. Yep, it is 'just a car' - and I have 'just a motorcycle'. But, then I goon to point-out how much time is spent washing clothes that are FAR less expensive, how careful she is with her cell phone, and how particular she is when it comes to her shoes. SHe kinda understands why I spend time keeping my bike & truck looking nice.
Now, I realize this is not the best arguement, but it does seem to work on her (for the time being).

Old 03-23-2008 | 09:02 AM
ecoli
Cruiser

I had a dodge dakota that went through a couple michigan winters with now washing. I then tried to wash it, and the dirt, dust, salt, crap was part of the paint. I had paid a good chunk of change to have it painted a year or two before not washing it and that all went out the window. I just don't want the "custom" dirt look forever.

That being said, I don't wash my bike THAT regularly but wish I did. My bike has special meaning to me as it as Ibought in honor/memory of my uncle. As for the mods, yeah, I spend a lot in regards to what I can afford/make. However, if I have the skill to make it myself, I will. I just made my own sidemount license plate which isn't difficult, but it was all me.

My uncel always told me, "Chrome don't get ya home." Make sure everything that HAS to be replaced and fixed is but it sound like you do. Wash her a couple more times a year to avoid corrosion and she'll be a lot happier.

Quick Reply: two questions.