General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

two questions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008 | 09:08 AM
BobStreetBob
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: two questions.

If my bike's dirty it means I've been out riding. It's always dirty.
Bad azz- I know where your coming from. My bike is very well maintained but I really don't care how much it "shines". I'm not out to impress anyone. I washed it last week and polished it up. Took awhile since it was the first cleaning in about 6 months. Rode all winter and it wastoo cold to play with the garden hose. I don't gotta keep up with the Jone's nor do I give a damn what anyone thinks about it. I don't think anyone needs to insinuate "laziness" or that they are "above" others because they have a nice clean and shiney bike...c'mon...give me a break. Rant over.

Old 03-23-2008 | 09:39 AM
hdpearson13
Road Warrior

I am guilty of not washin my bike to often. but just did alot of cleaning even waxed it over the last week. I honestly was bored but i am happy with result. sometimes i am proud of the dirt two. I try to do everything that i can myself. I got to do brakes soon ill probally do oil also

Old 03-23-2008 | 09:51 AM
Jumpman
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: BobStreetBob

I don't gotta keep up with the Jone's nor do I give a damn what anyone thinks about it. I don't think anyone needs to insinuate "laziness" or that they are "above" others because they have a nice clean and shiney bike...c'mon...give me a break. Rant over.
I guess that was pointed at me...

I'm not even pretending that I am better than anyone - and my bike was not built to keep-up with the Jonze's. I built it for ME, the way I wanted it.

My comment was truely not trying to insinuate that those who do not clean their bikes are onany different level that anyone else on the forum - or anywhere else. I was simply stating that we all have expensive toys - and the value/belief structure that we are instilled with here state-side it that we take care of things that we own - typically based on the cost factor. While the key factor to longevity is the maintenance routine - there is also a portion that involves 'hitting it with a hose'. It's not just to keep it shiny... Regular washing will help you to identify potential issues before they become problems - such as loose bolts, leaks and unusual wear. All of these things can be identified if you are 'getting in there' with a soapy sponge every now and again.

I may have overstepped in my 'lazy' comment - but based upon the fact that the original post was written is the manner it was (damned internet doesn't translate tone very well does it?), I posted my opinion.

I my case specifically, it was a HUGE financial step to get my bike - andI am going to take care of it as such... Does that mean that I wash it after every ride... NO. But I do find time every couple ofweeks or so to get out& give it a bath. I look at it as a way to get outside and enjoythe weather, whiledoing something I enjoy. It's also a great way to do something sorta bike realted when I can't ridebeacause I can't leave my daughter home alone.

SO... Sorry if I offended anyone with my opinion. Happy Easter.

Old 03-23-2008 | 09:52 AM
KSGLIDEGUY
Road Master

You are a grown *** man...Do what you want! I just bought my first Harley and have been keeping it spottless and plan to try to keep it that way. I personally could not stand to let my bike be too dirty for very long but that's just me. What others choose to do with their bike is their choice and they have every right to make it. That's how I see it.

Old 03-23-2008 | 09:58 AM
BobStreetBob
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Jumpman

I don't gotta keep up with the Jone's nor do I give a damn what anyone thinks about it. I don't think anyone needs to insinuate "laziness" or that they are "above" others because they have a nice clean and shiney bike...c'mon...give me a break. Rant over.

I'm not even pretending that I am better than anyone - and my bike was not built to keep-up with the Jonze's. I built it for ME, the way I wanted it.

My comment was truely not trying to insinuate that those who do not clean their bikes are onany different level that anyone else on the forum - or anywhere else. I was simply stating that we all have expensive toys - and the value/belief structure that we are instilled with here state-side it that we take care of things that we own - typically based on the cost factor. While the key factor to longevity is the maintenance routine - there is also a portion that involves 'hitting it with a hose'. It's not just to keep it shiny... Regular washing will help you to identify potential issues before they become problems - such as loose bolts, leaks and unusual wear. All of these things can be identified if you are 'getting in there' with a soapy sponge every now and again.

I may have overstepped in my 'lazy' comment - but based upon the fact that the original post was written is the manner it was (damned internet doesn't translate tone very well does it?), I posted my opinion.

I my case specifically, it was a HUGE financial step to get my bike - andI am going to take care of it as such... Does that mean that I wash it after every ride... NO. But I do find time every couple ofweeks or so to get out& give it a bath. I look at it as a way to get outside and enjoythe weather, whiledoing something I enjoy. It's also a great way to do something sorta bike realted when I can't ridebeacause I can't leave my daughter home alone.

No offense taken. I know words can get lost in the translation thru the keyboard. I hope you and yours have a great Easter.

Old 03-23-2008 | 10:29 AM
BadBoyFLSTC
Banned

I never wash mine either. I have a mexican come in once a week to wash and shine my bikes up while I'm at work. They do a real good job too.

Old 03-23-2008 | 10:38 AM
bad_azz
|
Cruiser

Bob, thanks for the back up on the lazy thing.
and jumpman, no offense taken, and no offense meant. i reread my post and see how it could be taken the wrong way. i'm not judging. like i said, maybe people have more time than i do. or, like you said, maybe people have kids and have to stay home. but in response to the lazy thing,I don't consider myself lazy. I do my maintainance myself. currently i work nights. i can either wash the bike during the day or ride it for the couple hours between work and sleep. plus i have other hobbies. i could just care less it looks dirty or clean. and believe me, i do have pride of ownership.

eagle, i ride a '93 wideglide. a decent amount of chrome.

oh, and the biggest thing is have a Happy Easter!!!!

Old 03-23-2008 | 12:05 PM
rydermike
Road Warrior

I do my Ultra Classic the easy way .... spary bike brite on , then hose off , stays mosty clean ,and I ride 2500-3000 miles a month. Gets a better cleaning with occasional trips to dealer for warranty work or service at an indy

Old 03-23-2008 | 12:23 PM
FandA M
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Jumpman

I can understand what you mean, but, you have to remember not all of us have "expensive" bikes either.I go out of my way to find cheap bikes and sink a few bucks into them to get 'em in tip-top running condition.I'm not too concerned about appearance as long asthe bikeruns strong.I put alot of hardwork into getting andkeeping my bike roadworthy.........cleaning is secondary.

Old 03-23-2008 | 12:29 PM
basman
Novice

I don't like washing the bike and poilshing the chrome. I'd rather be riding, But it sure looks good when it's done!

As for mods, to each his own.

Quick Reply: two questions.