General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what is everyone's view on lane splitting?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 10:07 AM
scootertramp
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: what is everyone's view on lane splitting?

ORIGINAL: barjbar

No thanks. Not to mention it isn't that easy with a bagger.
If your crash bars and handlebars can make it through it's not that hard on a bagger. Just takes some gettin' used to!

Old 03-24-2008, 10:12 AM
scootertramp
Road Captain

[quote]ORIGINAL: Calwoodbutcher

Been lane splittin for almost 40 years. Love to follow the CHP. Gets ya where ya are going real quick.

Got two CHP's I run up the hill from Sacto with. They make splitting traffic a dream! Those ****'s can ride them beemers! Once traffic opens up they both continue to split traffic at 85 - 90mph! I don't have the huevos to split two cars going side by side at 75mph! I guess they figure the badge will save them! I gotta do 100mph when there's a break just to keep em in site! They always wave when they get off at their chosen ramps though. Way cool that they treat an old 1%er that way!

Old 03-24-2008, 10:29 AM
scootertramp
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: SA315B

In some situations I will ride the shoulder if there is one. If lane splitting is the only option I will turn around. Lane splitting may or may not be safe but I’m not interested in aggravating some cager’s road rage when I’m on two wheels.
You'll ride the shoulder but won't split lanes? You do know the shoulder is where all the car parts, nails and debris end up right? Just split lanes. "F" the cagers if they can't take a joke. I carry 3/8" nuts in my coat and have been known to knock a mirror off if needed. They're all just jealous!

Old 03-24-2008, 10:37 AM
CanFL
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do not try that in Ontario, they will impound your bike and the fines are huge. Wish it was legal but the cagers would need alot of education and that will never happen.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:57 AM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,540 Likes on 932 Posts

Illegal in NY & if you try in in NYC....

The exception: NYPD Highway are ballbusters about lane splitting, and they'll often pad the ticket with other points citations like "reckless driving", "failure to signal", and so forth. In other words, be careful about lane splitting on the FDR, West Side Highway, BQE, etc

Old 03-24-2008, 10:26 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The way the law reads in California is that lane splitting is legal if there is room in the lane for both the car and the bike. If you have to go out of the lane to pass then it is illegal. Your'e also supposed to only split lane between the number one andnumber two lanes on the freeway, that's the fast lane and the one next to it. Also, it isILLEGAL to lane split at a stop light or stop sign just to get in front of others in California. Many riders don't realize this until they get stopped by an LEO. I've done the lane splitting thing a few times but with engine guard mounted hiway pegs its a tight squeeze. I believe that you're only allowed to go 10 to 15 miles an hour faster than traffic that you're passing but that's sometimes better than sitting still.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:08 PM
vibr8ir
Cruiser

I lane share every day going to work..15 miles in bay area traffic , it actually is very safe if you do it right .
I ride most every day (it is CA) I tend to leave home around the same time so I seem to see the same
people, they SEE me and most always move over to let me by. Riding a H/D gets you a little more respect
than some others. One Golden Gate Transit driver must be a biker cause he pulls that bus into the emergency
lane to let me go by, and dead stopped traffic is the safest because if no on's moving they can't change lanes on ya.
We also have commuter lanes here which bikes are allowed in. You should only lane share between the two lanes to the left
If you lived in CA most all you would do it once in awile too. Beats getting rear ended. and it's called lane sharing
Most always the bike would be at fault if anything were to happen.. Steve

Old 03-24-2008, 11:13 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: Other Sheep

Also, it isILLEGAL to lane split at a stop light or stop sign just to get in front of others in California.
Have done this many times, and in the presence of LEO. I think it's OK to do.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:19 PM
vibr8ir
Cruiser

Where do you find any info on lane sharing in CA. there is not any thing in the motorcycle hand book
other than to say its leagel but they don't recommend it. Nothing about not doing it at stop signs,
nothing about #1 / #2 lanes, (though kind of known) and nothing about if traffic is 5/10/15/ miles an hour.
I've passed police at lights and never have had a problem, maybe Nor Cal is cooler...

Old 03-25-2008, 01:17 AM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't like to encourage people to think a motorcycle doesn't needa full lane.

Quick Reply: what is everyone's view on lane splitting?