General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what is everyone's view on lane splitting?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 09:14 AM
joel85
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: what is everyone's view on lane splitting?

Seems too dangerous to me. One cager having a bad day, sees you in their mirror, and could easily take you out by "accident" I'm just not stupid enough to do it I guess. I definately wouldn't feel sorry for someone who was lane splitting and ot into an accident on their bike.

Old 03-23-2008, 09:20 AM
kingk9
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: joel85

Seems too dangerous to me. One cager having a bad day, sees you in their mirror, and could easily take you out by "accident" I'm just not stupid enough to do it I guess. I definately wouldn't feel sorry for someone who was lane splitting and ot into an accident on their bike.
I wouldn't do if it wasn't legal. But it is where I live. I don't think I'm "stupid", I'm just not "afraid".

Old 03-23-2008, 09:22 AM
Velocity1
Tourer

If you live outside of a state that permits lane splitting and you drive a cage where it is permitted, it certainly takes some getting used to. I for one have experienced it while driving a cage in CA now on numerous occasions on business travel. It puts extra stress on drivers to be sure they look out for innocent bikers who are only abiding by the law by lane splitting. In my mind, it has it's place, (stand still traffic), however 80-85 mph on the freeway can be scarey and poses another hazard for bikers.JMHO..

Old 03-23-2008, 09:25 AM
jwb47
Road Warrior

3 years ago I would of said a person is crazy to split lanes , since that time I have had the opportunity to rent an elctra glide classic and tour some of southern california . all I can say is the first time I heard brakes squealing behind me and the traffic infront of me was stopped I became an involuntary lane splitter and soon found it was alot safer than setting still waiting to get key holed in the rear.
fortunatley here where I live the closet thing to a freeway is the 4 lane that runs acroos the state

Old 03-23-2008, 09:31 AM
FXSTI Guy
Banned

I wishlane splittingwas legal here in Colo...the only time I'd consider it would be when traffic is moving @ 10 MPH or less...like some on this thread have stated bieng caught in gridlock on an air-cooled bike SUCKS...but here in Colo. our motorcycling glass IS half full...at least we don't have a lid law

Old 03-23-2008, 09:33 AM
Duracell
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,659 Likes on 581 Posts

Just curious, for you guys that believe it is legal in your state, if you are involved in an accident BETWEEN lanes who is at fault LEGALLY?

Old 03-23-2008, 09:34 AM
FXSTI Guy
Banned

...if someone pulled that **** on me they'd better take me CLEAN out...'cause if I was able to get off the ground and could get my hands on a driver like that they'd be eating from a straw for a while [:@]
ORIGINAL: joel85

Seems too dangerous to me. One cager having a bad day, sees you in their mirror, and could easily take you out by "accident"

Old 03-23-2008, 09:39 AM
kingk9
Banned

ORIGINAL: Duracell

Just curious, for you guys that believe it is legal in your state, if you are involved in an accident BETWEEN lanes who is at fault LEGALLY?
I don't "believe" it is legal in my state, it is actually a fact that it is. Like any other accident, if a driver is operating a vehicle "legally" then the one who does something "illegally" is at fault. Geez.

Old 03-23-2008, 10:27 AM
Duracell
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,659 Likes on 581 Posts

Don't get your panties in a bunch kingk9.

It's not legal in my state and I was curious how the legalities worked if there was an accident. By splitting the lanes the bike is already in a questionable position. Just wondered if you assume additional legal risk when you decide to split.

I'm not for itor against it. As I said it isn't legal here so it's not an issue.

Old 03-23-2008, 10:35 AM
Madfun
Tourer

I see lots of riders do it on USA, and Metric bikes alike. I say a lil prayer for them and I am not religious. I don't do it. Cagers can't, or won't see you as it is.

No sense in asking for it. And when I am on my scoot I am never in a rush.

Quick Reply: what is everyone's view on lane splitting?