General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what is everyone's view on lane splitting?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 04:11 PM
swordy
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
Default RE: what is everyone's view on lane splitting?

wots the point of having a bike if you cant filter through trafic? if you yanks had better lane discipline u could do it safely we can & do most car move 4 u 2 pass now(they didnt 20 yrs ago). in france they even move over if they see u commin towards them on a single lane road & they think its normal 2 travel at over 90mph out of town great!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-08-2008, 04:31 PM
krusr
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here in california it's legal but the only time I'll do it is when traffic is at pretty much a stand still.
First gear, sometimes second but general rule of thumb is I don't go faster than I want to fall.
I've seen folks sailing along doing 35-40mph+ splitting lanes just to see a cage change lanes.
I may break something but if i fall but I'm not in such a hurry that I want to risk dying just to get there a little sooner.

Just my take on the question

Krusr

Old 05-08-2008, 05:01 PM
JazNine
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll split (in Calif.) if traffic is stopped or near-stopped. If possible I'll try to move back and forth between lanes during slow moving traffic rather than spend too much time between two cars next to each other. If I know I'll be splitting I'll take the BMW because I wouldn't miss it much as the Hog.I'm a little more restrained on the Hog because she's a wide load and I wouldn't want her to get all crumpled. The Power Rangers who split at 40 mph in stopped traffic scare the crap out of me. I'm glad they're immortal. They are, right?

Old 05-08-2008, 05:24 PM
blackbob
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure what the law is here in Germany but people do it and it seems pretty much accepted, even more so in Italy and France. I don't do it unless I'm about to get wet or traffic is stopped. Anyone else riding in Germany who actually knows what the law is?

Old 05-08-2008, 05:31 PM
x2lee
Banned

Almost as funny as your avatar...

As far as lane splitting, if its legal its fine if its illegal, well your gonna **** folks off when you go past

But hey thats half the perks of 2 whells IMO.
ORIGINAL: bad_azz

maybe i'm just drunk, but that's funny.

Old 05-08-2008, 05:52 PM
edilgdaor
Banned
Received 6,612 Likes on 3,880 Posts

My bet is that those who don't like it can't do it.

I do it when I have to. I ride I-80 in the Bay Area. Sometimes, it stops, and I'm going to work. When I drive my car, I have to leave a half-hour earlier to get to work.

I had a carload of kids try to squeeze me once, so I went around them on the other side and stopped in front of them and put my kickstand down and got off my bike. I've never seen 4 windows get rolled up so quickly. So I opened the hood on their car and got back on my bike.

Old 05-08-2008, 05:54 PM
Lopoetve
Road Master

ORIGINAL: cmhfguy

We always talk about watching out for the other driver to make unexpected moves. Splitting lanes puts us in the worst position for when a driver makes that unexpected move. Even if traffic is at a standstill, it is still increasing the danger and risk, as that is when people tend to open a door to get out to see what the hold up is. Not worth the chance.
it's actually safer than sitting in traffic.

Old 05-08-2008, 05:59 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Since I'm from Jersey and it's illegal here I never thought twice about it. But I was in France a couple weeks ago on vacation and couldn't believe the lane sharing I saw there. I drove on a superhighway in a bus for over 5 hours and was thoroughly "entertained" by the daredevil maneuvers I saw bikers make as they threaded their way between cars and buses at 60 plus mph. One good thing is you never get caught in a traffic jam. You always get to move to the head of the line. But I had to wonder what sort of accident rate bikers must have there.

Old 05-08-2008, 06:47 PM
cray49a
Road Master

The bike will fit but I won't

Old 05-08-2008, 09:20 PM
esyrdgcwby
Cruiser

[/quote]

I wouldn't do if it wasn't legal. But it is where I live. I don't think I'm "stupid", I'm just not "afraid".

[/quote]

I.m with you man lane splitting is the way to go, I have nealry 100k on my bike & have lane split since day one , Accidents only happen to those who are not paying attention.

If your too afraid to ride then you shouldn't be on a bike !!
Don'tbe Scared !!

Quick Reply: what is everyone's view on lane splitting?