General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mid-West floods

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 07:37 AM
cornishman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mid-West floods

Read this morning about the horrendous floods you guys are going though. Its reported here in UK that there has been a number of fatalities, with more floods forecast.
Just want to say we,ll be thinking of you, take care.

Old 03-22-2008, 08:10 AM
Jumpman
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 28 Posts
Default RE: Mid-West floods

Thanks for the concern.

The country I live in - Jefferson County, MO - I'm told made national news in the last few days, and possibly international.

-Iwasout yesterday doing some work related stuffand drove to see what kind of dameage they were really talking about. DAMN. There is some REALLY DEEP water - in a whole bunch of places that aren't even supposed to be wet. I know at least 3 people/famalies that are either evacuated or 'just stuck' because high water is in their home, or preventing them from getting out.

It's supposed to start receding tomorrow... so we'll see what happens.

Old 03-22-2008, 08:26 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I grew up on a farm in SoDak. And every spring, our buildings (on top of a small hill ) became an island. So I have ALWAYS kept that in mind when looking at and buying houses. That would be a major "bummer" to have happen what is going on down in your part of the country. Thank God, I can "shovel" the water we got this week. Now, just so it "melts" slow enough to leave in a "gentleman's " fashion.

Old 03-22-2008, 08:29 AM
auctioneer
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jumpman,
I live a "few" miles south of there and was also out doing work related stuff looking at the water. It is really unbelievable the areas that were covered. I saw places with water that I have never seen before.

Like out last snow storm, we had 10 inches and 15 miles away there was no snow. The weather here in MO has been really strange. At least now, the salt has been washed from the roads.

Old 03-22-2008, 08:41 AM
Jumpman
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 28 Posts

ORIGINAL: auctioneer

Jumpman,
I live a "few" miles south of there and was also out doing work related stuff looking at the water. It is really unbelievable the areas that were covered. I saw places with water that I have never seen before.

Like out last snow storm, we had 10 inches and 15 miles away there was no snow. The weather here in MO has been really strange. At least now, the salt has been washed from the roads.

You are correct.

How far south are you? I am at Barnhart - and went into Fenton. Hwy 141 has water everywhere, and I didn't even try to get near Vally Park. I was driving from Lake of the Ozarks to St Roberts/Rolla and then back hom eon Wednesday - That was before rivers were near cresting - and there WAS a LOT of water then.

Fortunately, I live in a really high spot. If I get water up here...it's more than flooding. It's the apocolypse.

Old 03-22-2008, 09:00 AM
auctioneer
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My work got me into the area of Rolla and St. Roberts. They had several roads closed including the interstate at a couple of locations. It sure made a big mess for those traveling.

Actually it would be more east than south. I am close to Rolla.