General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sigh, well it finally happened. Went down.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 10:19 AM
Northwestphycles
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sigh, well it finally happened. Went down.

Well first glad your ok. I have dropped my bikes a couple times over the years but so far knock on wood none have been my harleys. What I want to really point out here is my hat is off to the guys on here that are willing to give up there stuff on the self and help this guy out. Way to go guys. Never see a jap bike rider doing **** like that. Stick together, family is what we are about here.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:03 AM
speedneeder
Advanced

After reading the title I'm pretty relieved this thread wasnt about something else. Seems like ya never know what you're going to read when you open some of these.

Glad to hear you're ok and it was at low speeds. Sounds like its all repairable. Good luck!

Old 03-20-2008, 11:15 AM
csmlopez
Cruiser

I've been there and know how you feel. What saved me and my bike was the highway bars.
I wish I had parts to give you bro.

Mad as hell, yeah I know.

Sorry about the.

Big Lou

Old 03-20-2008, 12:16 PM
Topspin
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Sigh, well it finally happened. Went down."

Not a good attitude... sounds like you were waiting for it to happen.

Glad you're ok. Sucks that tha bike is injured though.

Old 03-20-2008, 01:02 PM
Broken Leg Rider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Am sorry to hear about the bike, andit's goodwe didn't loose another rider. Be glad it was the right side' cause you woulda gone past your deductable on the left without a crash bar. Been thinkin about getting a rear crash bar for my fatty but can't find one. Been down that very same way myself.

Here is a good lesson for everyone. Your front brake is treacherous. Use it sparingly.

Old 03-20-2008, 01:24 PM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Man that bites. I wish you the very best with getting whole again. eBay may be your friend now; its amazing how many aftermarket/used parts are out there.

Post a list of neededparts when you have it figured out. I may have a few little things that can go your way.

Fromthe personal empathy side, I have scared myself a couple of times recently. Somehow I've picked upthe BAD habbit of using my front brake in low-speed turns. Each time I end up violently halting with enormous inertia that always surprises me. I get "vaulted" to the opposite side of the turn and barely have enough time to get my foot out and down on the pavement. I've had several close encounters that I can't stand thinking about.

I can picture exactly what happen to you, and I feel your pain.

Keep in touch.

edited for a part offering: I have a chrome trim ring for your headlight that you can have. IM or email me your address details. I'll mail it to you.

Old 03-20-2008, 01:24 PM
ebeattie
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 28 Posts

Just wanted to update everyone. Doesnt look like the damage was as bad as I though. Fenders really scratched but seems ok, still gonna pop it off.

The dents on the tank didnt crack the paint, infact looks like the only paint portions damaged was the clear coat. should be able to get the dents out paintlessly and with a good polish and buff, should be ok.

the turn signal bullet looks like it came out unscathed amazinly. looks like the lens took all the damage. Wanted to upgrade to smoked lenses anyway. The mirror done, but OC HD has one in stock for 34 bucks; not to bad.

Bars on the left side are bent, but not so bad. just need to readjust the hieght. Looks like my excuss to upgrade to wild ones chubbies.

Thanks again for all the comments and offers. I think Ill be ok on this one. Guess the shock of it all had me rambling last night.

ride safe everyone and thanks again for your thoughts.

RIDE HARD AND RIDE IT FULL OUT.

Old 03-20-2008, 01:31 PM
Pipedream
Advanced

That sucks..... I went down in my driveway. Hurts your pride more than you body sometimes. My left knee is still sore and its been a month.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:23 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Sorry. [&:]

I have a really nice road king handlebar. I think they are the same as fatboy? They are lower than Heritage.

Ask the dealer if mine are the same as fatboy and you can have them. Just PM me an addy and they are yours.

Old 03-20-2008, 04:41 PM
WaterHog
Road Captain

do beat yourself up too bad..

Quick Reply: Sigh, well it finally happened. Went down.