Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

extended warrenty

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 02:40 PM
maverick101
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default extended warrenty

How many of you bought the extended warrenty when you bought your bike?

Jason

Old 03-18-2008, 02:46 PM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: extended warrenty

I bought the extended warranty for 5yrs. I didn't want to have a chance of motor failure at 3 or 4yrs and making a payment and trying to scrap up the money to fix it. Hopefully i never need it but i got it at dealer cost when i worked my deal and i wanted that security hopefully if i need it everything works out. hopefully i never need to find out. Only thing so far was front rocker box leak they put on a new gasket.

Old 03-18-2008, 02:51 PM
fbhawg
Tourer

Be very careful that the extention starts AFTER your original. Many times in the small print the extended warranties start at the time of purchase. I know this sounds crazy but check, I just got screwed on a boat and motor this way. I bought a 6 yr extended warranty only to find out it was the factory 3 plus 3 more. I thought I had a 9 yr warranty.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:12 PM
chappy
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have heard the same thing:
It happened to a friend of mine.
So I check what I had left for Ext. Service.

Soas always; Read the fine print!!
Good advice!

Fortunately, I had an honest salesman at the dealer that I bought my '03 Ultra.
He told me that I got one year with the bike, he added, I also get another year from the dealer.
If I want more than the two years I could buy them then at the best rate.
So I bought four more years that total 6 years. It expires July of '09.
You can call the 800 nuber on the back of your extended service card,
they will tell you how long remains on your ext service.

During the 70K + miles it has paid for itself many times over.
Including 2 major breakdowns each during road trips far away from home.

chappy

Old 03-18-2008, 03:18 PM
Chipstah
Road Warrior

The harley "extended" warranty is the same - a 3 yr extended warranty only adds 1 year to the factory but does cover some other things that aren't in the factory warranty, thus the "extended" wording. Read the fine print and ask questions, and if you decide to get it, make sure all promises from the sales staff are in writing. It is one of the highest profit items the dealer sells, so you can negotiate in some cases. To me it is way too expensive but can be a good selling point when you go to sell.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:22 PM
powaypete
Road Master

1st real question you need to ask:
How long are yougonna keep this bike?

If you're gonna upgrade in a couple of years, NO !
If you're just gonna ride it on the weekends back and forth to the HD dealer
or less than 5K miles a year - NO
If it's your last HD, NO cuz you already know how to work on it.

If you answered the above NO - save you money for the Chrome.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:39 PM
chappy
Road Warrior

After reading the post by Chipstah, shown below:
I decided to dust off my memory and dig out the paper work.
I'm glad I did, because my earlier post is only partly accurate.

As I said above, I wanted 4 more years of extended service to total 6 years.
So an expiration date in '09 sounded right.
howeverat a closer lookmy at coverage paperwork, I can see that my extended servicehas the ESP 7 years BOX checked off.
The expiration date isn't the date of purchase but rather the date that my bike wascompleted at York, PA Factoryso my seven years of coverage ends seven years from that date not purchase date.
What's really strange is after looking closer at all my 2003 Ultra paper work I see that I payed for only 3 years, not 4, not 6 and not sevenof extended service plan totaling $639.00.
Now evenmore confusing is the expiration date of 07/27/09 with a purchase date of 04/24/03.

So somehowIgot the expiration date rightbuthad the means of totaling was all wrong.
All I really know is, for $639.00 I'm covered until 07/27/09 and so far I have had much more than that done in Service Repairs, near and far.

chappy

ORIGINAL: Chipstah

The harley "extended" warranty is the same - a 3 yr extended warranty only adds 1 year to the factory but does cover some other things that aren't in the factory warranty, thus the "extended" wording. Read the fine print and ask questions, and if you decide to get it, make sure all promises from the sales staff are in writing. It is one of the highest profit items the dealer sells, so you can negotiate in some cases. To me it is way too expensive but can be a good selling point when you go to sell.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:44 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

The opposite is also true. The factory warranty covers the whole bike for the most part--there are lots of exemptions in the extended warranty--a whole page of them, in fact. Be sure and understand that the addition of a hitch voids the extended warranty in its entirely.

Click the image below, twice, to expand.

[IMG]local://upfiles/38853/07C1D7F6CA4840DA9983954E35BB7390.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-18-2008, 08:48 PM
chappy
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: MNPGRider

The opposite is also true. The factory warranty covers the whole bike for the most part--there are lots of exemptions in the extended warranty--a whole page of them, in fact. Be sure and understand that the addition of a hitch voids the extended warranty in its entirely.

Click the image below, twice, to expand.

[IMG]local://upfiles/38853/07C1D7F6CA4840DA9983954E35BB7390.jpg[/IMG]
I've had my bike repaired with the $50.00 deductible several times under the Extended Service Plan. I've had work done locally as well as while I've been on road trips far from home.

As you can see, I have a Hitch Doctor recieiver withball and all the wires needed for lights as well as electric brakes.
I've never had a problem, but I'm not saying that I'll never have a problem.

chappy

Old 03-18-2008, 09:17 PM
Bowtieman31
Road Master

I've purchased an extended warranty on my last three HD's. As I ride many miles to far away places, I've used the extended warranty many times. I wouldn't purchase a new bike without the warranty.

Quick Reply: extended warrenty