General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom paint options w/ denim finish?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 08:02 AM
skiahh
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Custom paint options w/ denim finish?

Has anyone done or seen any options for customizing the paint on the denim colors? Is it possible or is it a special process HD uses that customizers can't really do anything with unless they take the pieces down to bare metal and start over? Thanks.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:31 AM
Jumpman
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 28 Posts
Default RE: Custom paint options w/ denim finish?

There is an H-D 'factory custom' paint scheme with a flame job on top of the black denim. Not sure what bikes they offer it for.

There is a Street Glide sitting in a local dealership that has the bodywork - it looks prety good - If you like that sorta scheme.

I'm not a big fan of the flames/skulls stuff - so most of the custom H-D stuff does not appeal to me...but I appreciate the work nonetheless.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:40 AM
skiahh
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jumpman

There is an H-D 'factory custom' paint scheme with a flame job on top of the black denim. Not sure what bikes they offer it for.

There is a Street Glide sitting in a local dealership that has the bodywork - it looks prety good - If you like that sorta scheme.

I'm not a big fan of the flames/skulls stuff - so most of the custom H-D stuff does not appeal to me...but I appreciate the work nonetheless.

While I appreciate the work, too, I'm more of a subdued person, so I'n not after flames or anything else. Just maybe some pinstriping or something else simple to add a little additional color to a plain black field.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:59 AM
Jumpman
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 28 Posts

ORIGINAL: skiahh

While I appreciate the work, too, I'm more of a subdued person, so I'n not after flames or anything else. Just maybe some pinstriping or something else simple to add a little additional color to a plain black field.

As far as striping - there should be no extra work that needs to be done to lay lines on the denim.

I really like the looks of the gloss pinstrips on top of flat paint... It kinda adds an extra element that most poeple won't even catch. You see a lot of Von Dutch style pinstripes on bobbers lately - usually red & white on top of flat black paint. I think I would avoid those colors just because too many people are going that direction.

Personally, I think if Iwerre going to stripe a black denim bike - I would go with a 'double' pinstripe...and do it in gloss black. It would be REALLY subtle...but still setthe bike apart from others.

I have kicked around the idea of adding pinstripes to my Road King - I think a 'double' line pinstripe, done in gold& silver would would look kinda slick on top of my pewter paint. But then I would have to get my truck done too - so they would still match.