Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Jacket vs Fox Creek Leather

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 11:06 AM
beerguytx
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HD Jacket vs Fox Creek Leather

Fox Creek all the way!

Old 03-18-2008, 11:15 AM
UH60Hwkdrvr
Road Captain
Received 64 Likes on 16 Posts

I like the Fox Creek, however that is a lot of scratch for something without armor. Check out Alpinestars. You might like what they have to offer and they come with armor.

m.a.c.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:30 AM
OldBoldPilot
Club Member

Received 24,031 Likes on 5,303 Posts

I'm going to have to go with the Harley preference. I've owned several Fox Creek jackets over the years, and while they are indeed made of heavy leather, and while the company's customer service lives up to its reputation, their jackets do have some problems.

First, only some of their jackets have armor provisions. In this day and age, it's unreasonable that a so-called motorcycle jacket wouldn't have at least provisions for armor, if not the armor itself, so that purchasers would have the option of using armor or not.

Second, their jacket liners tend to be basic and very cheaply made, and the liner zippers are of poor quality.

Finally, cut and fit in my experience have been problematic. Sleeves, for example, are a big problem. They tend to be wide, and not fit snugly around the wrist when zipped. The leather grain in the various panels often doesn't match. And in at least one jacket I received, when zipped up one bottom edge hung at least an inch below the adjoining edge -- a problem that even cursory quality control would have taken care of.

These are not huge issues, and the company will correct them when brought to their attention. But they shouldn't appear in jackets costing over $450. I have a feeling that as the company has grown, quality control has suffered.

On the other hand, I have two Harley jackets: a perforated leather Aeration jacket for warm weather and an FXRG for fall, winter and spring. Anyone who has ever carefully examined an FXRG jacket would have to admit that it's a superior piece of work -- not just in basic ways but in its attention to detail as well. The liner is a separate jacket in itself. It's water-resistant. It has full armor, which you can use or not as you choose. It's got all kinds of useful, built-in pockets for sunglasses, cell phones, etc. It also fits as a motorcycle jacket should, with tight sleeves (so they don't flap) and a trim body. And, it's soft out of the box. In short, if Apple made motorcycle jackets, they'd make the FXRG.

Yes, it is expensive -- unless you buy it from a discounter like Zanotti or this one. Then, the price comes down to Fox Creek levels -- and in my opinion you'd be getting a lot more jacket for your money.

Like many here I resent wearing anything emblazoned with the Harley logo, and both the FXRG and the Aeration employ rather subtle branding, with black embossing. As to the Made in USA issue, well, if that's what determines whether you'll buy a product or not, I have no argument. Up to you.

I have no affiliation with H-D (or any other company). Just my opinion from 45 years of wearing motorcycle gear (such as it was 45 years ago).

Harley-Davidson: Embrace the mellow throb

Old 03-18-2008, 11:57 AM
skiahh
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How do Vanson Leathersfit in here?

My last jacket was a Fieldsheer for my crotch rocket. Still fits, but it makes me look like I'm trying to be 25 again and that's just ugly!

Old 03-18-2008, 12:27 PM
Unome
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: *NIGHT TRAIN*

ORIGINAL: 66cruiser

Brown brought my Fox Creek Classic I yesterday. Fits as perfect as an off the rack jacket can (thanks to the gal recommending I go up one size). Leather soft & supple & looks exactly like the photos in the ad. It's tough & heavy (what I want in a riding jacket) & I can't imagine better quality for any price. Most of all, MADE IN THE USA. Can't figure good American Harley owners buying Chinese jackets.?
There's one in every crowd...someone can ask if you like "this H-D" jacket or "that other" one, and the minute someone says H-D, some assclown chimes in with that old "USA/Chinese" $hit...

Get your tool box out and start stripping all the foreign parts off your "made in the USA" H-D....you're gonna save alot of gas, cause the thing isn't gonna run...get offthe soapbox, you're gagging on gnats and swallowing camels...
Yes, H-D has a lot of foreign parts. And, no, we're not going to remove them because of it.

BUT given the chance to replace or add-on(i.e. chrome) parts on my bike, I'm going to try and use 'Made in USA' every chance I get. Sometimes I have to do a lot of searching and even wait until I get the extra money to buy 'Made in USA'.That goes for buying anything else. If I can find 'Made in USA', I buy it.

If left with NO OTHER ALTERNATIVE, then I have to buy what is available.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:54 PM
Rebel Ryder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

have many leathers products from fc. for any and all my leather needs my first thought is always fc.
not perfect nor the very best, however, they have the market on the value experience.

the fxrg is indeed a nice jacket, but imo, its too much trying to be in one jacket.[:'(] and HD aint paying me any royalties for free advertising. [8D]

Old 03-18-2008, 01:13 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,823 Likes on 802 Posts

There's one in every crowd...someone can ask if you like "this H-D" jacket or "that other" one, and the minute someone says H-D, some assclown chimes in with that old "USA/Chinese" $hit...

Get your tool box out and start stripping all the foreign parts off your "made in the USA" H-D....you're gonna save alot of gas, cause the thing isn't gonna run...get offthe soapbox, you're gagging on gnats and swallowing camels...
He's not an assclown for preferring to keep his money in his own country while supporting home-grown businesses. With parts, there is usually NO choice, and whenever I do find a NOT made in china part I need, I buy it over the chinese junk.

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 03-18-2008, 01:31 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Unome

ORIGINAL: 66cruiser

Brown brought my Fox Creek Classic I yesterday. Fits as perfect as an off the rack jacket can (thanks to the gal recommending I go up one size). Leather soft & supple & looks exactly like the photos in the ad. It's tough & heavy (what I want in a riding jacket) & I can't imagine better quality for any price. Most of all, MADE IN THE USA. Can't figure good American Harley owners buying Chinese jackets.?

Yes, H-D has a lot of foreign parts. And, no, we're not going to remove them because of it.

BUT given the chance to replace or add-on(i.e. chrome) parts on my bike, I'm going to try and use 'Made in USA' every chance I get. Sometimes I have to do a lot of searching and even wait until I get the extra money to buy 'Made in USA'.That goes for buying anything else. If I can find 'Made in USA', I buy it.

If left with NO OTHER ALTERNATIVE, then I have to buy what is available.
A non judgemental comment I can appreciate and respect...I always say, I can express my opinion without slamming someone else's...myself, I spend my hard earned $$ on a basis of need, quality and bang for my buck...I prefer American made, but if someone makes a good product and will sell it to me at a competitive price, they've earned my business...but I'm still amazed at the number of people who think their Harley is %100
American made...they just need to getrealistic before they start questioning another's patriotism because of the jacket they wear...my *** was in an OD green fatigue jacket from 1969 till 1972....

Old 03-18-2008, 01:34 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Clammy

He's not an assclown for preferring to keep his money in his own country while supporting home-grown businesses. With parts, there is usually NO choice, and whenever I do find a NOT made in china part I need, I buy it over the chinese junk.

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Refer tomy last post...

Old 03-18-2008, 03:00 PM
Raxus
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Guys I didn't want this thread to turn into a MADE IN USA thread. Just wanted honest opinions about these 2 jackets. For the most part it looks like FC has the lead. Only major prob I have with FC is that they are 16 hours away for me to try on thier jackets to really know if I like em. While my HD dealer is only 30 mins away. On the other hand wife suggested we do a mini vacation down to them and see what they got...sounds like a plan to me!

Quick Reply: HD Jacket vs Fox Creek Leather