General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you check credentials?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008 | 04:09 PM
texan321
Road Captain
Default RE: Do you check credentials?

ORIGINAL: piasspj

I've been riding for many years and have beenthinking about taking the course(s).

Not having the "Red card" isn't the reason people won't ride with me.
I take the experience rider course - 12 to 18 months - keeps the skills up to date....

Old 03-17-2008 | 04:17 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

taking a course means NOTHING.... learning from it, is another story.

people ride with strangers.... join clubs etc... and soon enough figure out who they want to ride with, and among....Just go on ANY charity ride...... you'll see who rides often, and who rides in groups, and you'll really see which ones just ride to the bar....

it's all good, and it's about YOUR decision... if you "feel uncomfortable" with another rider.... distance yourself.... on a charity ride, at the next stop.... pull away from that rider.... I do all the time
(well actually, I've stopped going on charity rides, poker runs etc because of that)

Old 03-17-2008 | 04:43 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member

I started riding in(as close as I can recall) 1940. I too never took a course. That is till about 15 years ago I decided to try out the MSF experienced rider course. My thoughts were that there was a good chance I had been doing some things wrong for a very long time. I was right. I was impressed enough with the course that a few years later I went on to become a MSF instructor.

It might be difficult to pick up on this but there's a big difference in 20 years experience versus one years experience 20 times !!!

Old 03-17-2008 | 04:47 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member

I'll ride with anyone. I just stick them in the front and watch the show. You gotta admit nearly everyone loves seeing a good wreck.

Old 03-17-2008 | 04:48 PM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member

I've always felt that learning to ride a dirt bike in rough terrain first establishes a confidence in low traction street situations. I have been riding 45 yrs in all conditions on a large variety of bikes. In that time I have noted that the first six months is most critical. The reflexes and concentration are at their minimum at that stage and any bad situation results in far more critical injury. I think an MSF course is a good thing but is just the basics. Things like braking, cornering and control under adverse conditions are learned better and with less chance of injury in the dirt. JMHO.

Old 03-17-2008 | 04:50 PM
sharkeydude
Road Master

I'll ride with anyone as long as they repect the road and the ways of it. I took the courses for me. I learned more than I ever thought and am a much better rider for it. I wouldn't check anyone's card anyway. How strange would that be?

Old 03-17-2008 | 04:51 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: DeJavu

I've always felt that learning to ride a dirt bike in rough terrain first establishes a confidence in low traction street situations. I have been riding 45 yrs in all conditions on a large variety of bikes. In that time I have noted that the first six months is most critical. The reflexes and concentration are at their minimum at that stage and any bad situation results in far more critical injury. I think an MSF course is a good thing but is just the basics. Things like braking, cornering and control under adverse conditions are learned better and with less chance of injury in the dirt. JMHO.
You're absolutely right. The best learning experience I ever had was back in the '60s when Iplayed in the dirt. It should be a requirement for everyone.

Old 03-17-2008 | 05:13 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member

Had attended MSF course twice over 30 years ago got card for one lost it in wash, then had to go a second time to get base stickers on my bike. They even lost record of my first attendance!

Still have my second course card, but its not red, when did they get a red card?

Old 03-17-2008 | 05:45 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member

Gots my "red" card.
And as soon as I get my "green" card, I'm gonna get me a license. (Already gots the car and bike)
Then I knows howz to drive and ride "in style".
Dems my credentualz. Anybody wanna go fer a ryde?